No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Pay MSRP or wait....

superamerb2

Reaction score
Hi,
Our SX prestige just arrived today, and we are supposed to pick it up today or tomorrow. Anyways, is there any way to not pay MSRP? Also, we don't like the trade in value that they are giving us on our highlander, and they don't seem willing to budge. It's either we take the Kia at MSRP and the not so fair price on our highlander, or we say never mind...which is a hard pill to swallow after waiting almost 5 months for this car.

Any pointers from anyone who lucked out in getting down the price or any advice on getting them to raise the trade in value. I'm afraid they'll just say we can't do anything because I know they'll have an easy time selling it to someone else.

ucinn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Pay the price or walk away and get it from some[place else and wait. It's what I have done. I don't need this vehicle as our Sorento is awesome in it's own right. We just want this car and will walk without getting a good deal which is subjective to each person. If you can live with the deal, buy it, if not and you don't need the vehicle right away, walk and go elsewhere. They will continue to charge ridiculous prices as long as people are willing to pay them. They will run out of those people eventually.

superamerb2

Reaction score
Pay the price or walk away and get it from some[place else and wait. It's what I have done. I don't need this vehicle as our Sorento is awesome in it's own right. We just want this car and will walk without getting a good deal which is subjective to each person. If you can live with the deal, buy it, if not and you don't need the vehicle right away, walk and go elsewhere. They will continue to charge ridiculous prices as long as people are willing to pay them. They will run out of those people eventually.
How long do you think it'll be before prices go down? We don't need the car today, but we will come April. I just don't wanna walk away, and then we can't get one :)

ucinn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I ordered one a month ago and it's due in October, so still plenty of time... If you put your location in your profile, it might help us to find you a better dealer. Kia of Muncie in Indiana is ordering them for you at costco pricing which is below MSRP... so even if they give you the same trade in on your Highlander, you're already to the good. They will ship or you can go there and drive it home which is what we are doing. We are 2-3 hours away from them depending on traffic.

superamerb2

Reaction score
I ordered one a month ago and it's due in October, so still plenty of time... If you put your location in your profile, it might help us to find you a better dealer. Kia of Muncie in Indiana is ordering them for you at costco pricing which is below MSRP... so even if they give you the same trade in on your Highlander, you're already to the good. They will ship or you can go there and drive it home which is what we are doing. We are 2-3 hours away from them depending on traffic.
Wow that’s nice! We’re in CO. I’ll update my profile.

Buzmin

Reaction score
Go to KBB and check the price your car is worth, be honest in the condition when entering stats
no dealer will give you more than KBB trade in value, always expect the low end

Bhgro123

Reaction score
Set a max price you’d be comfortable paying and if the dealer doesn’t meet that then walk out the door. That’s what we did, the dealer let us walk out that day without a counter but then called us 3 days later offering it at msrp. However, Every dealer will be different of course.

superamerb2

Reaction score
Set a max price you’d be comfortable paying and if the dealer doesn’t meet that then walk out the door. That’s what we did, the dealer let us walk out that day without a counter but then called us 3 days later offering it at msrp. However, Every dealer will be different of course.
We’re at MSRP right now, I was hoping to get it for less :)
I get how popular they are, so I’m wondering if it’s worth us waiting.

Bhgro123

Reaction score
Just re-read the OP sorry. That was actually the exact same situation for us. They valued our trade in at the low end of KBB. However we were in great need of a 3 row and no other vehicle could compare at the price point, in my opinion anyways.

FordRN

Reaction score
I was in no hurry either and driving a 2015 Infiniti I loved, but really wanted the Tellirude and the layout configuration.

I made the following decisions. I only wanted a certain color/combo/trim and would wait until the exact one was available. I would not pay OVER MSRP and would consider paying MSRP if I could at least get $1500 or more in rebates/incentives to bring it below MSRP. I would except the high end trade value or close to Edmunds true car value because I knew trading in would say safe me about 1/2 in taxes, so I considered that. I also asked the dealer to throw in some accessories to sweeten the deal.

I was concerned with the popularity, not being able to find exactly what I wanted and I didn’t want to settle. I also saw that Kia had increased their destination charges on some new window stickers and was afraid if popularity continues, Kia May eventually raise their MSRP prices as well.

So I pulled the trigger once I found the exact Telluride I was looking for last Friday and I’m loving it.

ColMo

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
On your trade - you could see whether CarMax or thru TrueCar buy offers are inline with what the dealership offered if you have the time.

superamerb2

Reaction score
Just re-read the OP sorry. That was actually the exact same situation for us. They valued our trade in at the low end of KBB. However we were in great need of a 3 row and no other vehicle could compare at the price point, in my opinion anyways.
Yea we have a highlander, but the third row isn’t very useable.
We don’t need the car today.
I was in no hurry either and driving a 2015 Infiniti I loved, but really wanted the Tellirude and the layout configuration.

I made the following decisions. I only wanted a certain color/combo/trim and would wait until the exact one was available. I would not pay OVER MSRP and would consider paying MSRP if I could at least get $1500 or more in rebates/incentives to bring it below MSRP. I would except the high end trade value or close to Edmunds true car value because I knew trading in would say safe me about 1/2 in taxes, so I considered that. I also asked the dealer to throw in some accessories to sweeten the deal.

I was concerned with the popularity, not being able to find exactly what I wanted and I didn’t want to settle. I also saw that Kia had increased their destination charges on some new window stickers and was afraid if popularity continues, Kia May eventually raise their MSRP prices as well.

So I pulled the trigger once I found the exact Telluride I was looking for last Friday and I’m loving it.
Sweet! Did you get them to give you more rebates or incentives? Any accessories?

ibmax

Reaction score
call Costco auto program and see if there is Costco pricing in CO.? I called in july in reference to Florida and there were no kia dealers signed on here. Good luck

FordRN

Reaction score
Yea we have a highlander, but the third row isn’t very useable.
We don’t need the car today.

Sweet! Did you get them to give you more rebates or incentives? Any accessories?
I was able to get MSRP minus $1500 finance rebate and $400 military rebate for $1900 total and $300 visa gift card. Edmunds high trade value was $20,498 for my Infiniti they gave me $21,000 for my trade and free all weather mats. Tried to get them to throw in folding cargo tray for the back and they said no. Then the dealership gave me some promo items: hat, jacket, stainless steel travel coffee cup and 2 light up cups for the kids.

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Hi,
Our SX prestige just arrived today, and we are supposed to pick it up today or tomorrow. Anyways, is there any way to not pay MSRP? Also, we don't like the trade in value that they are giving us on our highlander, and they don't seem willing to budge. It's either we take the Kia at MSRP and the not so fair price on our highlander, or we say never mind...which is a hard pill to swallow after waiting almost 5 months for this car.

Any pointers from anyone who lucked out in getting down the price or any advice on getting them to raise the trade in value. I'm afraid they'll just say we can't do anything because I know they'll have an easy time selling it to someone else.
MSRP is reasonable with no dealer adds. Then, they have the $1500 financing rebate (Dealer Choice program) and $400 Military. Those are still in effect. So, MSRP less $1500 for non military to finance 48 months at 1.9% or 2.9%; 2.9% or 3.9% for 60 months (Dealer Choice program). If they won't budge on the Highlander, then you need a competing offer - try CarMax or carvana.com - carvana will send you an instant quote. Use those as leverage - and if they still won't adjust for Highlander, then just sell to CarMax or Carvana. Keep in mind the savings on sales tax for a trade in.

There is lease cash too - so you could try a one pay lease strategy - but that's complicated to negotiate.

If you ordered the car a long time ago, your dealer should still be able to qualify you for the competitive car discount (due to Highlander) if that one was on the original list - I think it was. That would be another $1000.

I ordered in April, just took delivery, and was able to receive MSRP less $2500 total incentives (owner loyalty and the finance rebate). Better than nothing. The dealers have no incentive to discount cars beyond that- an SX-P they should be able to easily sell for at least $6k above list right now.

superamerb2

Reaction score
MSRP is reasonable with no dealer adds. Then, they have the $1500 financing rebate (Dealer Choice program) and $400 Military. Those are still in effect. So, MSRP less $1500 for non military to finance 48 months at 1.9% or 2.9%; 2.9% or 3.9% for 60 months (Dealer Choice program). If they won't budge on the Highlander, then you need a competing offer - try CarMax or carvana.com - carvana will send you an instant quote. Use those as leverage - and if they still won't adjust for Highlander, then just sell to CarMax or Carvana. Keep in mind the savings on sales tax for a trade in.

There is lease cash too - so you could try a one pay lease strategy - but that's complicated to negotiate.

If you ordered the car a long time ago, your dealer should still be able to qualify you for the competitive car discount (due to Highlander) if that one was on the original list - I think it was. That would be another $1000.

I ordered in April, just took delivery, and was able to receive MSRP less $2500 total incentives (owner loyalty and the finance rebate). Better than nothing. The dealers have no incentive to discount cars beyond that- an SX-P they should be able to easily sell for at least $6k above list right now.
thanks! Yes I’ve done that with carvana, and was offered $1500 more!...unfortunately going that route I’d have to pay a lot more in taxes.

I’m glad you brought up the $1000 rebate! I ordered mine in April too, but they didn’t say I qualified for the damn rebate.

I just emailed them now asking this...we’re supposed to pick it up today. How do I get them to honor it?

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!