No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Pay MSRP or wait....

sdbonez

Reaction score
On your trade - you could see whether CarMax or thru TrueCar buy offers are inline with what the dealership offered if you have the time.
I always walk-in to Carmax with my 'trade-in' car, about 30 mins later I walk out with a written quote for my trade-in good for 7 days. I then walk in to the new car dealer, hand them the quote in writing, ask them to match it and we usually have a deal. Only once have they not (and the difference was significant from Carmax) - so bought my new car, drove the old car to Car Max, sold it to Carmax with the quote 20 mins later, Uber'd back to my new car, drove home. Easy as pie.

superamerb2

Reaction score
I always walk-in to Carmax with my 'trade-in' car, about 30 mins later I walk out with a written quote for my trade-in good for 7 days. I then walk in to the new car dealer, hand them the quote in writing, ask them to match it and we usually have a deal. Only once have they not (and the difference was significant from Carmax) - so bought my new car, drove the old car to Car Max, sold it to Carmax with the quote 20 mins later, Uber'd back to my new car, drove home. Easy as pie.
I wish we would have done that. Still not sure they would have budged on price though. I’ll be sure to use this tactic with our next car purchase in the future:)
In the end, Carvana’s offer was roughly $1k more; I would have paid a lot more in taxes going this route.

DRK

Reaction score
That's exactly what I did. I asked the dealer to drive my Telluride to the near carmax (10 mins drive away) if they would not match. The dealer ended up matching the Carmax quote.

Faintferret

Reaction score
I’m probably not much help, but I’m the person who posted this similar question a day or two ago. Our car arrived yesterday, and we weren’t sure if we’re gonna take it...mainly because we didn’t like the trade in on our car. We also weren’t in any hurry, more we just wanted the extra room.
We decided to go in, and we ended up buying the car for MSRP. We got the $1500 rebate plus they honored the $1000 competitive rebate! I was told about honoring the $1000 hours before we went in from someone on this forum, and I’m SO grateful. I know we didn’t get what we wanted for our trade, but the unexpected $1000 evened things out a bit.

Anyways, so far we are VERY happy with our purchase :)
Who did you work with at i25 Kia?

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
G

G-319276

I was able to get MSRP minus $1500 finance rebate and $400 military rebate for $1900 total and $300 visa gift card. Edmunds high trade value was $20,498 for my Infiniti they gave me $21,000 for my trade and free all weather mats. Tried to get them to throw in folding cargo tray for the back and they said no. Then the dealership gave me some promo items: hat, jacket, stainless steel travel coffee cup and 2 light up cups for the kids.
Did you have to pay dealers fees?

Reaction score
Hi,
Our SX prestige just arrived today, and we are supposed to pick it up today or tomorrow. Anyways, is there any way to not pay MSRP? Also, we don't like the trade in value that they are giving us on our highlander, and they don't seem willing to budge. It's either we take the Kia at MSRP and the not so fair price on our highlander, or we say never mind...which is a hard pill to swallow after waiting almost 5 months for this car.

Any pointers from anyone who lucked out in getting down the price or any advice on getting them to raise the trade in value. I'm afraid they'll just say we can't do anything because I know they'll have an easy time selling it to someone else.
I just bought an LX AWD in Colorado. I didn't have the luxury of waiting / walking away because our car was just totaled. Every local dealership was MSRP + handling fee. I figure I could have negotiated a bit, but maybe not..they seemed pretty firm (and confident they would sell it to someone if I didn't buy it). I was able to "negotiate" a slightly lower price for mine (basically no dealer fee).

It's a hard call whether or not to wait. If this were a normal situation, I'd definitely wait for two reasons:
1. It's the first model year of a totally new vehicle. I never ever buy the first year of a new model of anything...(except this time I did). there is just too much that gets "figured out" in the first year or two. Most of the production issues are fixed by now (I would presume) but some design issues probably persist.
2. I never ever buy something that is in such high demand that all the power is with the seller. (except this time I did...) Almost certainly the supply will increase to meet the demand, or the demand will soften enough that the market is a little more balanced.

Why is this particular product different? I'm not sure it is, but I think it might be for this reason: Kia was too aggressive on the pricing. I think next year is likely to come with an increase to the MSRP....so for that reason waiting might hurt you if the demand is still high.

joey_baccala

Reaction score
I come in here and laugh at the OP for what I just read. If I had 200k cash laying around I would buy 4 SXPs and sell them privately for 10k over sticker and make a quick 40k in probably about a week with zero haggle in cost.

For anyone who has been through the struggle that placed an order with a deposit months and months ago with just getting the run around that was lucky enough to scoop up an allocated SXP knows what I’m saying. lol

hammick

Reaction score
In Kansas City I have always found the Carmax offers to be well below KBB trade-in value.

hammick

Reaction score
I'd like to know about the "competitive rebate". Already purchased our SX and got the 1k financing rebate and $700 off MSRP from the dealer but did I miss out on the $1k competitive rebate? Or did the dealer hide it from me and keep it for themselves? We traded in a '19 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite.

Last edited:

sdbonez

Reaction score
In Kansas City I have always found the Carmax offers to be well below KBB trade-in value.
Agreed. There are some that offer $500 over without even asking and other areas where they tend not to dock $ when they should (like for worn tires).

sdbonez

Reaction score
I have heard great stuff about carvana.. heard they are very fair offers.
My Carmax quote on a trade-in was $500 over my Carvana quote... but that's just in one case.

Wish me luck, btw... I'm down to $200 over MSRP on a negotiation that I've been working on for 2 weeks... so close I can taste it. Worst part is he has a fee included that I think is bogus and that he won't remove (and my guess is that it doesn't show up on the actual paperwork)... But I'm out of tricks...and I hate this dealer.

Jason Fox

AUTHORIZED DEALER
Reaction score
My Carmax quote on a trade-in was $500 over my Carvana quote... but that's just in one case.

Wish me luck, btw... I'm down to $200 over MSRP on a negotiation that I've been working on for 2 weeks... so close I can taste it. Worst part is he has a fee included that I think is bogus and that he won't remove (and my guess is that it doesn't show up on the actual paperwork)... But I'm out of tricks...and I hate this dealer.
LOL.... But you'll still buy from them?

Jason Fox

AUTHORIZED DEALER
Reaction score
Against my better judgement... but I have that wife factor starting to pressure. I took my ring off but that didn't seem to help matters :ROFLMAO:

You're still getting my warranty business, though... :)
Lol! Man.... Keep the hardware on. KIA of Muncie does not want to be dragged into divorce proceedings. Best of Luck!