Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in
  • PLEASE NOTE: This is a private community with only a few publicly accessible areas. Please sign up for open access to full level content.

Payload rating

Big T

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I’ve driven two EX’s from two different dealerships, and having owned HD tow vehicles, I’ve gotten in the habit of checking payload ratings. Both EX’s had a payload rating of 1323 lbs. That’s not bad considering most Tundras are about the same, and my 2016 TRD Pro was 1130. The payload can be found on the drivers side B pillar. Look closely on the decal that shows tire pressures. FYI: if you tow 5K, then the tongue weight of 500 lbs. (10% of TT weight) is subtracted from payload rating. The difference is how much weight can be placed in, or on, the vehicle.

Big T

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Been looking at this myself the odd thing is the manual has a max tongue weight of 351 lbs ! But tow rating of 5000 lbs. Seems odd.
The tongue weight, that is, 10% of trailer weight, is standard in the RV/TT industry. It could be that the towing capacity for the Telluride, without tow pkg, is 3500 lbs., and with tow pkg is 5000 lbs. Just my guess, and don’t ask a salesman, because they know less than you do.

Dandy

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The tongue weight, that is, 10% of trailer weight, is standard in the RV/TT industry. It could be that the towing capacity for the Telluride, without tow pkg, is 3500 lbs., and with tow pkg is 5000 lbs. Just my guess, and don’t ask a salesman, because they know less than you do.
You might be onto something. I wonder if it is different with the tow package due to the air leveling suspension. By that taking the sag of the rear out and leveling out the vehicle it may allow for a higher younger weight. I wonder if there is an addendum to the manual of equipped with the factory tow package.

Big T

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
You might be onto something. I wonder if it is different with the tow package due to the air leveling suspension. By that taking the sag of the rear out and leveling out the vehicle it may allow for a higher younger weight. I wonder if there is an addendum to the manual of equipped with the factory tow package.
There are also specs placed on the actual hitch from the hitch mfg indicating max tongue weight.

monkeyman

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Interesting. Kia lists 350 tongue max and 5k tow for the Sorrento too. Hyundai lists 500 and 5000 for the Santa Fe.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.