No soliciting permitted.

performance rotors and calipers

JonFar111

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has replaced their OEM brakes with performance rotors and calipers. The factory brakes are not particularly good looking. Something like what’s on the Stinger would be awesome. Just curious.

WatchRich

Reaction score
My plan is to paint the calipers, not sure really need to invest in performance versions. You can buy high heat paint for them for like $20 on amazon. Just got to be comfortable taking wheels apart or pay someone, but stil cheaper than buying performance versions just because want to change look. I plan to paint mine yellow.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Kwim

Reaction score
ordered pads on the calipers. expensive but looks cool. They are installed very easily and quickly.

dansta

Reaction score
My plan is to paint the calipers, not sure really need to invest in performance versions. You can buy high heat paint for them for like $20 on amazon. Just got to be comfortable taking wheels apart or pay someone, but stil cheaper than buying performance versions just because want to change look. I plan to paint mine yellow.

Plan to give that a go myself. You planning on spraying, I assume? That would give the best look, rather than those kits that you hand paint.

What color is your exterior? Trying to think what would go best with GWP

WatchRich

Reaction score
Plan to give that a go myself. You planning on spraying, I assume? That would give the best look, rather than those kits that you hand paint.

What color is your exterior? Trying to think what would go best with GWP
Color will be Gravity Gray and doing yellow caliper. Yes plan is spray, but I never done anything like that but have a few buds that work on cars all the time so will do with them.

jw_tx21

SUSTAINING MEMBER
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Color will be Gravity Gray and doing yellow caliper. Yes plan is spray, but I never done anything like that but have a few buds that work on cars all the time so will do with them.

That sounds like a very good looking combo.

JonFar111

Reaction score

JonFar111

Reaction score
Would love an update and pics when you're done. I'm thinking about doing this myself. I have a Everlasting Silver, so will probably go with electric blue calipers

JonFar111

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has replaced their OEM brakes with performance rotors and calipers. The factory brakes are not particularly good looking. Something like what’s on the Stinger would be awesome. Just curious.
Hey @StephenCantrelle, if you ever get bored... Could you ask one of your techs whether the Stinger discs and calipers would fit a Telly and if Kia would even be authorized to switch 'em (for whatever the cost would be). Thanks!

SC300ES

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score

Look into burnt copper engine paint. Looks good with gray shades.

JerseySXP

Reaction score
That is the exact color I'm going for to try and match the amber running lights as close as possible.

Plus I think that color would look amazing on Boss Moss - Green on orange, yum..

Let me ask you a question @SC300ES - when you got that done did they take the entire break caliper apart, sand blast the current coating on them, prime and then paint them? I got a quote to get that done on my telluride and holy smokes wasn't prepared to hear their pricing...

Reaction score
Would this color be a close match for the calipers in SC300ES's photo?

SC300ES

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Hey,

I actually painted them myself last year.

The list of items you need are:

Metal wire brushes

Sandpaper

Brake parts cleaner or degreaser

Primer- high heat

High heat engine paint- color of your choice

High heat gloss clear

This was a trial run to see if I liked it enough to keep it so I didn’t remove the calipers.

If it didn’t look good then I would have, but that is more involved with removing lines and such.

I made sure to cover up the rotor, the whole wheel well and the fenders with plastic or heavy paper.

Start by brushing the dirt on the calipers. Hit it with brake cleaner. A little bit of sanding to get rid of any bumps. Primer a few times. And so on. Make sure to wait between coats to let it dry.

If you have sticker apply them right before the clear coat.

Ed

Last edited:

JerseySXP

Reaction score
Hey,

I actually painted them myself last year.

The list of items you need are:

Metal wire brushes

Sandpaper

Brake parts cleaner or degreaser

Primer- high heat

High heat engine paint- color of your choice

High heat gloss clear

This was a trial run to see if I liked it enough to keep it so I didn’t remove the calipers.

If it didn’t look good then I would have, but that is more involved with removing lines and such.

I made sure to cover up the rotor, the whole wheel well and the fenders with plastic or heavy paper.

Start by brushing the dirt on the calipers. Hit it with brake cleaner. A little bit of sanding to get rid of any bumps. Primer a few times. And so on. Make sure to wait between coats to let it dry.

If you have sticker apply them right before the clear coat.

Ed

Thank you for the most thoughtful response. Most guys say spraying looks cheesy or ghetto. I will say your Lexus calipers came out amazing. Wouldn't have even guessed they were sprayed.

I got a quote for 1,300. Complete remove. Sandblasting, etc...part of me doesn't want a brand new SUVs calipers taken apart...

SC300ES

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
If you can take it on it's a fun project.

This place owned and run by a friend of my co-worker. It's in Staten Island.

Galaxy Vinyl

151 Industrial Loop, Staten Island, NY 10309

I never used him but do follow him on Instagram. Give them a call see what they say.

He's on FB too

Ed

JerseySXP

Reaction score
If you can take it on it's a fun project.

This place owned and run by a friend of my co-worker. It's in Staten Island.

Galaxy Vinyl

151 Industrial Loop, Staten Island, NY 10309

I never used him but do follow him on Instagram. Give them a call see what they say.

Ed
Staten island isn't too far from me. I'm getting quotes on Ceramic coating at the moment. I'll definitely call them too.

With what I was quoted I could buy a nice Lift for my Telluride, buy the materials and still make out a lot better!