No soliciting permitted.

Prepare me for pick up: what can I expect on delivery day?

MaeMae2001

Reaction score
After over a year's wait, delivery of my Telluride is approximately 7 days away. I would love your experience and help preparing me for the pick up. I'm nervous the bottom is going to drop out. A lot of thoughts floating through my head:
1. Can I ask them NOT to put decals on the car? I don't want a sticker/emblem of the dealership plastered on the car.
2. Should I ask them to check tire inflation or do that myself once I get home? I've read here that the tires are usually over-inflated from the factory and that is a safety no-no.
3. Can I ask them to swap out decals for me? I was thinking of ordering the "T" emblems for sale here on this forum (although they're on back order) and wondering if that's something the dealer can swap out before I drive away or if I should wait and take it elsewhere to a body shop or something. (No, I'm not going to DIY that.)
4. Has anyone had a Costco deal fall through? I ordered October of 2019 via the Costco program to get a $500 discount. That was for a 2020 vehicle though. Costco no longer runs a deal with Tellurides, so I'm worried that I'm going to get to the dealership and suddenly the number we agreed upon won't be valid anymore, either because there is an upcharge for it now being a 2021, or because the Costco deal was for a 2020, or whatever reasons. I'm just nervous that it's going to become contentious as we get into the paperwork.
5. I've been reading the threads here about extended warranty, etc. There are lots of opinions on that and I'm not sure what my own is, but thanks to this forum I know what Muncie's warranty dollar amount and terms are, so I feel prepared to negotiate on this point based on having that information and knowing my options, if I choose that route. Other than extended warranty, what else might these guys try to get me involved in a negotiation about?
6. What about financing? I don't "need" a deal to buy the car, but everyone wants a deal, right? If the deal sucks right now, I will just pay cash. I've read the threads that say some people took a financing deal and paid it off 1-3 months out (varying stories about what's "allowed" with the payoff date). Any advice on current Telluride financing deals?
7. What about trade ins? I don't always like the idea of a trade in because then dealers can play a numbers game. I don't need to trade my car in. I can sell it outright. But will trade it in if I feel it benefits me enough. What have experiences been lately at Kia with trade ins?
Like I said, I am a week away and don't want the bottom to fall out on this after waiting so long, but also am not going to let anyone walk all over me because they know I've waited so long so they think I'm "desperate" or whatever.

mgoblue

Reaction score
1. Yeah you can ask them and it probably won't be a problem. They might still give you a license plate frame, which is not that big of a deal. (BTW if you live in a state where front plate is not required, make sure they don't screw in the front plate holder)

2. They should do it, but it doesn't hurt to ask

3. I think some people have had success with this. They might charge for the labor? Again, doesn't hurt to ask.

4. Not sure, no experience with this. You should ask now so you're prepared either way.

5. Not all dealers offer the same warranty, so make sure you're comparing apples to apples when discussing with your dealer. Muncie offers the Kia branded Fidelity one. Your dealer may have something else. Many dealers/finance managers are pushy about their warranties so be prepared to tough it out and say no a bunch if you don't want anything.

6. Personal decision about what a good deal is for you. I think the best rate now is 1.9%, and there aren't any other cash offers anymore. If you're fine with that rate, take it. If you can find a better deal from an outside bank, do that homework now so you're prepared with your decision to the finance manager when you go in.

7. Dealers generally don't give high trade-in values. Get quotes from Carvana, Vroom, Carmax, which will most likely be better and valid for up to 7 days. Those will give you your minimum for trade-in. If your dealer can beat that then take it, otherwise just hang on to your car and go back to one of the others.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Tobstertx3

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Congratulations @MaeMae2001
My input:
1. Yes, it’s your car. I requested the same.
2. Yes! It’s also part of their checklist before delivery. Again, I did the same.
3. Yes. Some dealers will entertain it. Others will not.
6. Ask the dealer if they’re offering the same financing terms that are on Kia’s Website. E.g. 1.9% for 60. If so, you know what you’re getting into before arrival.
7. Check CarMax and Carvana. Personal experience was they both offered higher than the dealer so I never traded in.

Hope this helps

Senator20

Reaction score
Dealer gave me a better trade in value than Carvana. Plus the trade in takes money off the price so less sales tax. But it is good to know what your car is worth going into it so you have an idea.

Taketime

Reaction score
After over a year's wait, delivery of my Telluride is approximately 7 days away. I would love your experience and help preparing me for the pick up. I'm nervous the bottom is going to drop out. A lot of thoughts floating through my head:
1. Can I ask them NOT to put decals on the car? I don't want a sticker/emblem of the dealership plastered on the car.
2. Should I ask them to check tire inflation or do that myself once I get home? I've read here that the tires are usually over-inflated from the factory and that is a safety no-no.
***I told my salesman to make sure they were at 35 psi. I checked myself once I got there.
3. Can I ask them to swap out decals for me? I was thinking of ordering the "T" emblems for sale here on this forum (although they're on back order) and wondering if that's something the dealer can swap out before I drive away or if I should wait and take it elsewhere to a body shop or something. (No, I'm not going to DIY that.)
I installed the Brenton 3d myself. They look nice.
4. Has anyone had a Costco deal fall through? I ordered October of 2019 via the Costco program to get a $500 discount. That was for a 2020 vehicle though. Costco no longer runs a deal with Tellurides, so I'm worried that I'm going to get to the dealership and suddenly the number we agreed upon won't be valid anymore, either because there is an upcharge for it now being a 2021, or because the Costco deal was for a 2020, or whatever reasons. I'm just nervous that it's going to become contentious as we get into the paperwork.
For me the price difference between the 20 & 21 was only $400. That was worth it to get the remote start on the key fob and the improved climate control
5. I've been reading the threads here about extended warranty, etc. There are lots of opinions on that and I'm not sure what my own is, but thanks to this forum I know what Muncie's warranty dollar amount and terms are, so I feel prepared to negotiate on this point based on having that information and knowing my options, if I choose that route. Other than extended warranty, what else might these guys try to get me involved in a negotiation about?
I only got the extended warranty from Kia Muncie.
6. What about financing? I don't "need" a deal to buy the car, but everyone wants a deal, right? If the deal sucks right now, I will just pay cash. I've read the threads that say some people took a financing deal and paid it off 1-3 months out (varying stories about what's "allowed" with the payoff date). Any advice on current Telluride financing deals?
I was preapproved by the NFCU for 1.79 36 mos. Kia offered me 1.75, a $500 rebate and a $400 military rebate. I made the balance off about three weeks later and got my title two weeks later.
7. What about trade ins? I don't always like the idea of a trade in because then dealers can play a numbers game. I don't need to trade my car in. I can sell it outright. But will trade it in if I feel it benefits me enough. What have experiences been lately at Kia with trade ins?
I sold my 2005 4Runner out right in March before the pandemic. I always sell, never trade in.
Like I said, I am a week away and don't want the bottom to fall out on this after waiting so long, but also am not going to let anyone walk all over me because they know I've waited so long so they think I'm "desperate" or whatever.

JodiM

Reaction score
7. On my last car, I brought my trade in offer from Carmax (just takes a few minutes to get online) and the dealership beat it by a bit. Also, by trading in, I saved nearly 3K in sales tax since the value of the trade in gets deducted from the sale price of the new car and it is the difference that is used in calculating the sales tax. So, make sure to factor in tax savings when deciding whether to trade in.

vinylhaircut

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Couple more in this vein:
Do you do a thorough inspection of the car before accepting, or is that generally not needed?

Anyone have experience with a contactless sale? My dealer's website seems to indicate that I can do virtually all of the paperwork online and then they will drop it at my house. Anyone else do something like that and how did it go?

GregS

Reaction score
1. I also always take off the dealer decal, but many places are either too busy or too stuck in protocol and even when I have asked, it is still there. Just carefully peel it off yourself soon in warm weather. Use a hair dryer on it if cold. Any residue can be removed, but if you use a product like Goof-Off, you should immediately use a gentle cleaner to remove any remaining Goof-Off to preserve your paint.

7. I like @JodiM comments, but even with sales tax savings, you usually always get a better return on your money if you sell it yourself. That takes time and a bit of money -I use Craigslist ($5 posting fee) and cars.com ($40 with a Carfax posting fee) If you have a good-value car, it will usually sell within 1-10 days.

Good luck. You are getting yours about 3 days before I get mine, which is being transported from KS to CO! I am as eager as you!