Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Proud Kia Consultant

ervolino

Reaction score
Hey there everyone!
The Telluride has truly been a flagship for Kia, making a sizable impression on myself and dealership.

I'd love any discussion or questions relating this new model we've released, anything to help my own personal knowledge on this vehicle and yours. I've sold quite a few of these since they were released in March, and am just floored by the quality, value, and customer appreciation.

Let's talk Telluride!

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

alfman

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I'd like some clarification on adding the Tow Hitch/Harness option when ordering the LX or S Model.

The KIA.com website shows I can build an S Model with the Tow Hitch/Harness ($450 MSRP). See below image.

Is this a valid option for ordering?

The dealers keep saying I need to order the SX model to get the Towing Package. But the Towing Package is entirely different as it is offered as a package on the EX/SX Models. And the Towing Package ($795) includes the self-leveling suspension, which I don't need. I only need the Tow Hitch/Harness option ($495).

Maybe dealers are confusing the Tow Hitch/Harness option with the Towing Package?

Thanks in advance for any clarification regarding this.

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Does the factory installed tow package with self leveling include a 7 pin plug so people can legally tow 5,000 lbs? Can a dealer upgrade from the 4 pin. What would it take to do so?

ervolino

Reaction score
I'd like some clarification on adding the Tow Hitch/Harness option when ordering the LX or S Model.

The KIA.com website shows I can build an S Model with the Tow Hitch/Harness ($450 MSRP). See below image.

Is this a valid option for ordering?

The dealers keep saying I need to order the SX model to get the Towing Package. But the Towing Package is entirely different as it is offered as a package on the EX/SX Models. And the Towing Package ($795) includes the self-leveling suspension, which I don't need. I only need the Tow Hitch/Harness option ($495).

Maybe dealers are confusing the Tow Hitch/Harness option with the Towing Package?

Thanks in advance for any clarification regarding this.

View attachment 969
You're exactly correct. Because of the Tow package option, some dealers are still a little confused on the fact that you CAN have the accessory added for the $495. Also, there was a .pdf file released to dealerships showing available options and the LX and S show an exclusion for towing package, but you CAN add the accessory.

ervolino

Reaction score
Does the factory installed tow package with self leveling include a 7 pin plug so people can legally tow 5,000 lbs? Can a dealer upgrade from the 4 pin. What would it take to do so?
According to our corporate represenitives, as of right now, Kia recommends to buy the adapting harness, they said the price is around $20 from a local auto store. Currently there isn't a Kia OEM harness.

alfman

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
You're exactly correct. Because of the Tow package option, some dealers are still a little confused on the fact that you CAN have the accessory added for the $495. Also, there was a .pdf file released to dealerships showing available options and the LX and S show an exclusion for towing package, but you CAN add the accessory.
Thanks!

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Thank you for your time.

Another question. How do Factory orders work? There is a lot of miss information on this subject?

Do they take up dealer allocation? How does the factory treat the factory order?

ervolino

Reaction score
Thank you for your time.

Another question. How do Factory orders work? There is a lot of miss information on this subject?

Do they take up dealer allocation? How does the factory treat the factory order?
That’s a good question.
The factory orders will take up the units that are to be allocated to the dealership. Part of the reason dealerships are having a more difficult time getting units allocated is because their orders are taking away from those.
Orders become “first” priority, atleast over the allocated ones.

CAsuKiHy

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
This isn't true, this is from my kdealer.com access. All trims are equipped with the same power train, only EX/SX have the tow package with auto leveling.
But you have to modify it aftermarket because it’s not equipped with 7 pin and in order to tow 5000 you have to have brakes and with Kia factory settings you tow under 2000lbs. So they can put it in promo for 5000 but realistically it’s not capable of that. Even with you do it aftermarket I would worry about transmission being capable of handling the weight.

ervolino

Reaction score
But you have to modify it aftermarket because it’s not equipped with 7 pin and in order to tow 5000 you have to have brakes and with Kia factory settings you tow under 2000lbs. So they can put it in promo for 5000 but realistically it’s not capable of that. Even with you do it aftermarket I would worry about transmission being capable of handling the weight.
I think you’re missing the point.
The vehicle is capable of towing 5,000lbs regardless of the trim level.
So I wouldn’t agree that they are promoting it unrealistically, considering it has the power to tow said amount. Same being for the transmission. That would be apart of the rating to get to 5000. Besides, falsely advertising it would cost them millions thanks to their 10 year/100,000 mile power train warranty. They would be replacing transmissions left and right lol.
And in regards to your trailer brakes, that’s why you simply buy a 4-to-7 pin harness adapter for $20 like you would in any other vehicle that had 4-pin, that could tow 5000 in with a 7-pin 🤷🏼‍♂️

wazslow

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I think you’re missing the point.
The vehicle is capable of towing 5,000lbs regardless of the trim level.
So I wouldn’t agree that they are promoting it unrealistically, considering it has the power to tow said amount. Same being for the transmission. That would be apart of the rating to get to 5000. Besides, falsely advertising it would cost them millions thanks to their 10 year/100,000 mile power train warranty. They would be replacing transmissions left and right lol.
And in regards to your trailer brakes, that’s why you simply buy a 4-to-7 pin harness adapter for $20 like you would in any other vehicle that had 4-pin, that could tow 5000 in with a 7-pin 🤷🏼‍♂️
A 4 to 7 pin adapter doesn't provide you with trailer brakes. All it will do is allow the trailer lights to work. I think you're missing the point. You need to spend money on aftermarket parts to safely tow 5000lbs with a Telluride even if you opt for the towing package. It should not be promoted as capable of towing 5,000lbs, when it can't safely do so when driving off the showroom floor.

ervolino

Reaction score
A 4 to 7 pin adapter doesn't provide you with trailer brakes. All it will do is allow the trailer lights to work. I think you're missing the point. You need to spend money on aftermarket parts to safely tow 5000lbs with a Telluride even if you opt for the towing package. It should not be promoted as capable of towing 5,000lbs, when it can't safely do so when driving off the showroom floor.
You're right, I didn't include the brake controller. But, every state is different in-regards to have an in-cabin controller for the brakes on the trailer. The Telluride power train is capable of towing 5000lbs, but only legally, as long as it is properly equipped with state law requirements for the trailer.

ervolino

Reaction score
Ok... so what I am hearing.... that boat or small camper trailer CANNOT be towed by our Tellurides? That being said...the tow package was worthless shy of the load leveling feature?
No, it very well can be if it is under 5000lbs. In my state, which is Iowa, it is required to have 7-pin and an in-cabin trailer brake control modulator installed if it is over 3000lbs. Every state is going to be different. The Power train on the Telluride is capable of 5000lbs, just like any other SUV, it's your responsibility to adhere to your states laws and regulations on required equipment after a certain weight.

CAsuKiHy

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
My knowledge of towing is very limited and most of it I learned recently initiated here on this forum. I will leave the conversation to more knowledgeable people, but I think KIA did not do it right, and realistically you can put a few bikes in the back ant that’s it. That’s just my opinion, I don’t think it is safe. A few people are not buying the Telluride because of this, I don’t really think I would ever need it, but what bothers me is false advertising and what someone pointed up they’re opening themself for a lawsuit.