Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Quality of leather?

dtaylormac

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I bought an SXL with Nappa leather (top model in Canada). When I picked it up, I noticed the driver seat leather was noticeably wrinkled, more so than the leather in other vehicles I have driven for a year or more. The front passenger seat leather is "pinched" at one point. When I pointed this out to the dealer, the response was "
The wrinkled leather is normal, most of our cars have wrinkles right from factory, very few actually come perfectly smooth as it is a natural product. Regarding the stitching, I am unable to see the concern, the stitches all appear to line up normally"
I am disappointed and wonder if there is anything I can do. Just live with it?

regaphysics

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
That is not normal for brand new leather. I know some people have reported issues with the SXP leather - perhaps they are having issues with quality control. I think you could go directly to Kia corporate customer service instead of through the dealer.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Tim-in-CA

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The first picture does look abnormal. I'd say the 2nd pic is probably acceptable. Agree, go to Kia.ca corporate and explain the situation to them. Good luck!!

mrmac

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Leather is animal skin. Just like human skin some will have wrinkl and some won't. Over time the frequency of wrinkles will increase. This is normal.

regaphysics

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
This is normal for a new leather to have some wrinkles. Its just like skin.. May be of an old cow :)
Some light wrinkles perhaps, but the first image is what I would expect from 5-7 year old leather, to be honest. I've never seen leather like that on a car over 30k dollars. And leather is not "just like skin." Leather is tanned and stretched and graded for then selected for quality - not just slapped on from a cow's back. If I paid $$ for the skin of a 18 year old and received the leather from an old lady, I would be upset. Go open the doors on 20 lexus' and tell me if any are wrinkled like that.

mrmac

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Some light wrinkles perhaps, but the first image is what I would expect from 5-7 year old leather, to be honest. I've never seen leather like that on a car over 30k dollars. And leather is not "just like skin." Leather is tanned and stretched and graded for then selected for quality - not just slapped on from a cow's back. If I paid $$ for the skin of a 18 year old and received the leather from an old lady, I would be upset. Go open the doors on 20 lexus' and tell me if any are wrinkled like that.
Had wrinkles in our brand spanking new 2018 Lexus....

Buckeye-TRide

Staff member
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
As someone with an EX all I can say is my seats have no wrinkles or creases. While some creasing or wrinkling with age might be normal, I’d have concerns considering the age of the vehicle. In my opinion, not normal.