No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Rattling Noise from rear passenger area

Breezygirl

Reaction score
Hi there - new here to this forum. Recently got my 2020 Telluride EX and within 24 hours of having it noticed a loud rattle that comes from the rear passenger area when I go over bumpy roads (e.g. snow packed , gravel, lots of small potholes etc). The dealership determined that it was the exhaust system hitting the frame of the vehicle when going over bumps causing this. They tested another Telluride on their lot and the same thing happens. They are advising they opened a case with Tech line who after working to troubleshoot narrowed it down to the exhaust is hitting a specific clip. Tech line advised it has now been raised to corporate as a "design flaw" with regards to where the clip is placed (very close to the exhaust system) and they will look at a solution; but, who knows how long that will be. Has anyone else experience this?

Last edited:

Dave1

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Do you by chance have a metal frame for your license plate? I only ask because I put a black frame around my rear plate. Every bump I would hear a loud rattle that seemed to come from the lift gate. Pulled into service bay at the dealership and raised the tailgate, I could bang on the inside with the tailgate up and recreate the sound. The service adviser told me to do it again, and while he was watching he could see the plate holder vibrate against the outside whenever I would bang on it. I was glad it was something simple that was fixed by a couple of silicone bumper pads, but on the other hand I felt like a moron because it was something so simple......but since they could recreate your issue on another vehicle probably not. Hopefully my experience can help somebody else though......

Breezygirl

Reaction score
Do you by chance have a metal frame for your license plate? I only ask because I put a black frame around my rear plate. Every bump I would hear a loud rattle that seemed to come from the lift gate. Pulled into service bay at the dealership and raised the tailgate, I could bang on the inside with the tailgate up and recreate the sound. The service adviser told me to do it again, and while he was watching he could see the plate holder vibrate against the outside whenever I would bang on it. I was glad it was something simple that was fixed by a couple of silicone bumper pads, but on the other hand I felt like a moron because it was something so simple......but since they could recreate your issue on another vehicle probably not. Hopefully my experience can help somebody else though......
Unfortunately this happened before any plates or frames were on. The dealership was able to confirm it’s the exhaust hitting some clip that’s making the noise but there is no solution at this time. Hoping if others see this and bring it in that it will illustrate it’s a bigger issue in the design that they need to address

kane

Reaction score
After reading lot of reviews I get a strong feeling that one should wait for a second generation vehicle before buying if it's a newly launched product..
Let excited folks buy it and share their after thoughts with the company and we end up getting a better refined product.

alexdrums

Reaction score
You wouldn’t want to wait for the “second generation”, because that is a redesign—and a whole new set of problems pop up. The most reliable cars are the ones that are in their last year BEFORE the redesign...because all the existing problems have been ironed out. That said, the Telluride has already been on sale for a year, and a lot of the original issues have already been corrected by Kia.

kane

Reaction score
You wouldn’t want to wait for the “second generation”, because that is a redesign—and a whole new set of problems pop up. The most reliable cars are the ones that are in their last year BEFORE the redesign...because all the existing problems have been ironed out. That said, the Telluride has already been on sale for a year, and a lot of the original issues have already been corrected by Kia.
So 2021 would be a good buy ?

TheNip73

Reaction score
I don’t know, because they don’t exist yet, but I definitely think it’s safe to buy a 2020.
Agreed, enough time has passed and enough units built that a good amount of kinks should be worked through.

For the record have one of the first Volvo S60s (last generation) to hit US shores. It has been pretty darn reliable with minor issues. So new models can also be good.
From what I see here, the Telluride doesn’t seem to have any nagging major issues. A few here and there, which happens to the best of the best.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

MarcinTexas

Reaction score
So 2021 would be a good buy ?
2020 has been a long model year. At this point - any changes in the 2021 will be very very minor. Given that this launched in March of 2019 - KIA has already had time to refine their manufacturing process as units have been on the road an minor issues have been discovered. I was like you and wondered about waiting and ultimately pulled the trigger last month and put an order in. By the time I get one - probably manufactured in April or May - the vehicle will have been in production for about 15 months...which is the same as waiting for second year car if launched at a more traditional time.