Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in
  • PLEASE NOTE: This is a private community with only a few publicly accessible areas. Please sign up for open access to full level content.

Remote Start Questions

mattnh55

Reaction score
I've got an EX (5weeks/3k miles..) and negotiated dealer-installed remote start -- is this a Telluride-specific remote start item? They said it wasn't available yet and that it could come weeks/months after..

I've never had a remote start of any kind -- Do they replace my FOB with a new one? Is it a second FOB? Not sure of how that all works.

Thanks!
-matt

Buckeye-TRide

Reaction score
The UVO app gives remote start for free. I heard differing accounts about adding the function on this forum, but the product manager that posts here said it’s not in the works. Time will tell with this one I think.

mattnh55

Reaction score
I have the UVO app and it is generally awful for remote start...

This video from 2017 may be a bit dated, but would suggest Kia offers it.. I can't find anything they've moved exclusively to the UVO app

Buckeye-TRide

Reaction score
I have the UVO app and it is generally awful for remote start...

This video from 2017 may be a bit dated, but would suggest Kia offers it.. I can't find anything they've moved exclusively to the UVO app

The FOB doesn’t even have a button for it so I have no clue how that would even work. The consensus here is that a physical button would be preferred and I have no clue why they didn’t include it.

rvv2002

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I've got an EX (5weeks/3k miles..) and negotiated dealer-installed remote start -- is this a Telluride-specific remote start item? They said it wasn't available yet and that it could come weeks/months after..

I've never had a remote start of any kind -- Do they replace my FOB with a new one? Is it a second FOB? Not sure of how that all works.

Thanks!
-matt
if it's anything like what I had installed on my Sorento, it is a piece of junk. A completely separate fob, annoying. Waste of $300.

mecheng1

Reaction score

Thanks!
-matt
Good question

I have a 2016 Sorento and the remote start is a dealer installed additional small key fob. It works OK, but I am really disappointed that the Telluride does not have an integrated remote start incorporated into the key fob, like the Palisade does. Kia suggest using an App, but that is just not convenient. Beats me why Hyundai and Kia don't standardize on this to the Hyundai approach of course. Could be a deal breaker for me if I can get over the push button drive modes on the Hyundai that is.

Crazymom5

Reaction score
I’m currently using the app which does not work well. There is smart key fob available. I’m not sure if the cost but I may be headed that way if they don’t get this app working better.

cliffnerd5

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I’m currently using the app which does not work well. There is smart key fob available. I’m not sure if the cost but I may be headed that way if they don’t get this app working better.
The app is straight up terrible. I went to remote start because it was hot. I first had to manually tell it to get the status of the car. This took like a minute.... Hit climate and set it then waited like a other minute. Literally heard the car start because we we're almost to it by the time it started. Wife made fun of me for spending 2 minutes on my phone to start a car for 15s.

Crazymom5

Reaction score
The app is straight up terrible. I went to remote start because it was hot. I first had to manually tell it to get the status of the car. This took like a minute.... Hit climate and set it then waited like a other minute. Literally heard the car start because we we're almost to it by the time it started. Wife made fun of me for spending 2 minutes on my phone to start a car for 15s.
Yes! This has been my issue, as well. First you have to lock the doors that are already locked. They lock pretty quick but the app takes FOREVER to refresh. Then set the climate. Then agree to some crap then we can finally start it. I have been almost to my car every time, too. It’s VERY frustrating and I’ve left comments as such in the app store. I really hope it improves.

Tellyride365

Reaction score
There will NOT ever be a remote start option to add on after the fact from KIA. It will strictly be the UVO Link app for anything Kia remote start.

You will have to go aftermarket if you want true remote start on the Telluride.

They did this to the Optima for 2019 as well. Anything S model and above in Optima with push button start will never have a remote start add on you can purchase through Kia.

You should definitely ask for your money back from your dealer.

Karam.31

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
@310TELLURIDER can you clear this all up for us? Is the uvo app getting updates to make it work better? Will remote start using the app always be free? What features cost money? Anything else on this you'd like the add please do...

BPM

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I will tell you from my experience with an in-app remote start function (in a Ford Explorer) that it's sluggish, mostly due to what the app has to do to get the communication to the car. Sometimes it would find the car, sometimes it wouldn't.

I think it's a little bit of a trade off. I mostly used it to start the car from my office on cold days, and I did it about 10 mins before I was going to the car, so I gave it time to do its thing.

If you walk out of Target, hit the app and head to your car expecting it to start that fast, it's probably not happening. Unless it's just a really slow UVO app, don't think of it as a replacement for a standard, albeit near-range, fob - think of it as "really far away" convenience.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.