No soliciting permitted.

Replacement windshields

T4Tate

Reaction score
Less than a month after getting my new Telluride, I got hit with a rock spit up that couldn't have hit any more perfectly wrong. Within 5 mins it was a 3"crack, by the time I got home it was 1/2 way across. It's now 3/4. The dealership where I bought it says there are no windshields available, everyone that's been produced is accounted for and being used in production. Question (1) is this truly the case and does anyone know how long this will last? (2) does anyone know where I might be able to obtain one. With the weather turning cold it's going to finish off 100% across in no time!! Its also right at eye level and the flashes of light it produces when the sun hits it just right is blinding for split seconds. Thank u for ur insight and comments!! I do love it!! My only wish, it had a bit more umph at take off, i know it's a lot of car for a v6...

ATL3630

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Damn it. Got a crack in mine yesterday. It’s small, maybe 3 inches up and down and 3 inches side to side. Makes an L shape.

Sounds like it is going to be a B to get fixed if it propagates.

Lucas & Craig

AUTHORIZED DEALER
Reaction score
Less than a month after getting my new Telluride, I got hit with a rock spit up that couldn't have hit any more perfectly wrong. Within 5 mins it was a 3"crack, by the time I got home it was 1/2 way across. It's now 3/4. The dealership where I bought it says there are no windshields available, everyone that's been produced is accounted for and being used in production. Question (1) is this truly the case and does anyone know how long this will last? (2) does anyone know where I might be able to obtain one. With the weather turning cold it's going to finish off 100% across in no time!! Its also right at eye level and the flashes of light it produces when the sun hits it just right is blinding for split seconds. Thank u for ur insight and comments!! I do love it!! My only wish, it had a bit more umph at take off, i know it's a lot of car for a v6...
My KIA service rep is due in today. Let me see if he knows anything that could possibly help you.

T4Tate

Reaction score
So srry to hear THAT ATL3630!!!! Thank u 4 cking w/ur peeps!!! Look fwd 2 hearing the scoop on what we can do.

ATL3630

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I got a quote from Safelite. $425 installed, which I think is a fair price. However when am about to order it there is a pop up notice that says that all the sensors and technology that is attached to the windshield probably will need calibration afterwards. That kinda scared me off.

T4Tate

Reaction score
The price does seem very reasonable. My dealership thru out a $615. number?!

I will share with u my experience with a Safelight install on my Nissan Murano. The windshield sticks up on the corner from the rubber not getting put around it properly. The seams don't meet up!!

Soooo, I WILL NOT have safelight touch this car!!! Understanding not all Safelights will b that way, that its all about the technician. But...for something so basic, to make sure the windshield is seated right, with the rubber around it. Take the time man to do it right & not FORCE it.

I don't know what I'm going to do...I do know I would like to wait and have the dealership get the glass and have THEM put it in!!! I just don't know what that means in terms of the waiting period : (

Mac

Reaction score
I’ve commented in a couple other windshield related posts but I can say for sure there are windshields available. Had the first rock impact on the interstate and was very lucky to find a Kia dealer in the Chicago area that had a replacement they had ordered for a local
bodyshop but was never picked up or paid for so the (seems to be) normal process for dealers is to hire a 3rd party to do the replacement. Then on the way home (idaho) from Chicago, our 5 day old replacement windshield was hit and caused a crack the entire width of the windshield. Called the local Safelite facility and waited 16 days for a replacement which was ordered from the local Kia dealership. Install was done perfectly with no issues. I’ve talked to 2 installers regarding recalibration of the camera and they say there is NO need unless the windshield is shattered near where the camera is mounted OR unless you own the SXP with the HUD option.

PL/OB Diego

Reaction score
An additional resource for Telluride owners to rectify production and inferior materials issues in their vehicles. See link below.

Our Mission

The Center for Auto Safety is an independent, non-profit organization dedicated to advocating for auto safety, quality, and fuel economy on behalf of our members and all drivers, passengers, and pedestrians.

Our History

The Center for Auto Safety was founded in 1970 by Consumers Union and Ralph Nader as a consumer safety group to protect drivers.

T4Tate

Reaction score
I’ve commented in a couple other windshield related posts but I can say for sure there are windshields available. Had the first rock impact on the interstate and was very lucky to find a Kia dealer in the Chicago area that had a replacement they had ordered for a local
bodyshop but was never picked up or paid for so the (seems to be) normal process for dealers is to hire a 3rd party to do the replacement. Then on the way home (idaho) from Chicago, our 5 day old replacement windshield was hit and caused a crack the entire width of the windshield. Called the local Safelite facility and waited 16 days for a replacement which was ordered from the local Kia dealership. Install was done perfectly with no issues. I’ve talked to 2 installers regarding recalibration of the camera and they say there is NO need unless the windshield is shattered near where the camera is mounted OR unless you own the SXP with the HUD option.
Apprec8 the info Mac. Wow, my 1 crack issue seems minute!!! I'm in the Dallas,Tx area, hopefully the availability will trickle down this way soon. One guy wrecked his new Telly, the dealership put everything bac together, but hadn't been able to deliver the car back to him because they, as of then, couldn't get a windshield to install!! I'll reach out to the dealership again, it's been 2 wks...mayb they know something new.

Mac

Reaction score
I'll reach out to the dealership again, it's been 2 wks...mayb they know something new.

Yeah...keep calling the dealership. As I mentioned, it took approx. 2 weeks for Safelite to procure the new windshield from the dealership. Don’t know if the replacement came from the Georgia factory or a Kia warehouse but the windshields are out there somewhere...good luck 🙏🏻🙏🏻 Just not real thrilled with these new acoustic windshields. From what research I’ve done, they are 4-5 mm thinner then traditional ones all in the name of keeping the cabin quieter, improved fuel mileage and less likely for the thief to do a smash-and-grab...not convinced. Having these windshields replaced is becoming a PITA!

edward g

Reaction score
so far its been 2-3 months waiting in canada im up tp 7000 ks havent had another after the first 3000 ks but still have a long crack from left to right

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

T4Tate

Reaction score
so far its been 2-3 months waiting in canada im up tp 7000 ks havent had another after the first 3000 ks but still have a long crack from left to right

Well...its looking like this is the price we have to pay for wanting/having the newest, latest & gr8est!!! Found "Mac's" info about the new technology very informative & interesting, didn't even realize we're dealing with a new type of glass...that seems to b inferior holding up to daily commutes!!! Disappointing to say the very least. In all my years owning cars, I've replaced only 1 windshield (all Nissan)!!! Guess I should count my blessings based on others mishaps!!

ATL3630

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I’ve got Safelite coming to the house to replace my windshield tomorrow. Hopefully all goes well. They are using OEM glass as that’s all there is right now. I talked to a Kia tech and they said they just have a third party do it so it might as well be Safelite. He also said that as long as the crack in the windshield wasn’t near any sensors, they wouldn’t need to be recalibrated.

T4Tate

Reaction score
I’ve got Safelite coming to the house to replace my windshield tomorrow. Hopefully all goes well. They are using OEM glass as that’s all there is right now. I talked to a Kia tech and they said they just have a third party do it so it might as well be Safelite. He also said that as long as the crack in the windshield wasn’t near any sensors, they wouldn’t need to be recalibrated.

Give us a thumbs up and a pic when it's all bac together again. Good to know on the sensors. Thx

ryanlindy

Reaction score
Here is another post on this

T4Tate

Reaction score
My KIA service rep is due in today. Let me see if he knows anything that could possibly help you.
Greetings Jason, could I trouble you to find out from your Kia rep what the cost (parts&labor) to replace the windshield on the Telluride? Thank u so much

Lucas & Craig

AUTHORIZED DEALER
Reaction score
Greetings Jason, could I trouble you to find out from your Kia rep what the cost (parts&labor) to replace the windshield on the Telluride? Thank u so much
I'll need to see if glass is even in stock. Email me your Vin.

G

G-91207

Time for Corning glass to make their Gorilla Glass windshield for Tellurides.

Enough with the inferior quality of the KIA windshield glass.