You've found the busiest Telluride community online!

Please register and become a member. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Ride difference between 18" and 20" wheels.

Kentellu

Reaction score
Did any body get a chance to compare the comfort or ride difference between the two tire and wheel sizes. I've driven the 20" and it does seem to be just a little brittle or jarring. And the tire pressure was correct after I let out 11#s on each tire. It's amazing how often dealers don't check stuff like that before that let the car go out on a test ride.

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
In general, the smaller the wheel, the better the ride. The larger the rim the better the handling. To a point.

The difference between the wheels is in sidewall height. The more sidewall the smoother and quieter the ride will be. But more sidewall will also cause more movement between the car and ground. The the car will feel more lose and less control with higher sidewall. The difference between the 18 inch and 20 inch will not have much of a difference. The quality of the tires will effect ride and handling more then size. You can get better tires with 18 inch.
I will dump the 20 inch and go to the 18 inch because I want the smoother ride and I take a lot of rough roads. On rough roads, dirt roads, and gravel, going from 20 inch to 18 inch can save you a few hundreds bucks when you hit a rock and not destroy the rim.

Some people think big rims look better, I think they just look useless.

Tellmeride

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I like big rims and I cannot lie... 18" is more practical and you don't have to be on constant lookout for potholes or the curb. 20" looks much better and handles better too.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

TellurideSX

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Gotta agree, I drove both and the EX with the 18s rode better. I have the much ballyhooed black 20s and think they look merely fine. Black wheels of any size wouldn’t have been my first choice but that’s all we can get. Not sure what would look better, but if I ever changed, I’d likely do 18s.

I’ve wondered how feasible it would be to fit a 20 inch tire on these rims with a slightly taller sidewall. I suspect that might make the tire too wide for these rims.

Tellmeride

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Gotta agree, I drove both and the EX with the 18s rode better. I have the much ballyhooed black 20s and think they look merely fine. Black wheels of any size wouldn’t have been my first choice but that’s all we can get. Not sure what would look better, but if I ever changed, I’d likely do 18s.

I’ve wondered how feasible it would be to fit a 20 inch tire on these rims with a slightly taller sidewall. I suspect that might make the tire too wide for these rims.
Lets trade, 18" EX <-> 20" SX

Michi-Tell

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Hah. Definitely know my opinion isn’t shared by most. 🤷‍♂️. Everyone loves those. I love the car overall though. That’s for sure!
Or maybe 20" Silver S for 20" Black??

RetSab

Reaction score
Did any body get a chance to compare the comfort or ride difference between the two tire and wheel sizes. I've driven the 20" and it does seem to be just a little brittle or jarring. And the tire pressure was correct after I let out 11#s on each tire. It's amazing how often dealers don't check stuff like that before that let the car go out on a test ride.
Got my EX home on Monday checked the tire pressure, all 4 were between 45 & 48 psi, Damn! I double checked with a different gauge, same result. I went back to the dealership to get a bug deflector and spoke to the service desk about my frustration and the safety factor. This also was the case with the '12 Soretno I had purchase there.