No soliciting permitted.

Searching for a Telluride without outrageous dealer markup.

Mags

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’ve been searching for a telluride preferably an EX or SX (moss, black, or white). I’m in NC and the pickings are very slim. I am waiting for a nearby dealership to contact me when they get some in which should be in a few weeks. However I’ve noticed the online pricing has a dealership markup of $5995 up to $7995 on top of MSRP. What is the deal with this?

natetom

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’ve been searching for a telluride preferably an EX or SX (moss, black, or white). I’m in NC and the pickings are very slim. I am waiting for a nearby dealership to contact me when they get some in which should be in a few weeks. However I’ve noticed the online pricing has a dealership markup of $5995 up to $7995 on top of MSRP. What is the deal with this?
Oh hello me 2 weeks ago! Nice to meet me :) I was / am in the same boat (Northern VA here) and gravitated to this group and a Telluride FB group. Lots of dealers here and there sell for MSRP and most I've seen will ship to you (or you can fly / drive there and drive home). The FB group is called "TellurideClassifieds" but the wealth of knowledge and advice here is far greater. Another thing to do is just start calling "close" dealers that you'd be willing to drive to. Many will indeed sell for MSRP, its just that this forum and FB make it easier to find those dealers. Anyway, within a few days of scouring this forum I had a deposit down on exactly the Telluride my wife and I wanted. Sure I'll need to wait another 1.5 months but that beats paying 5-10K markup. I've been quoted shipping between $1 to $1.5 dollars a mile which is always going to be less than the insane markups. Good luck!

ms8613a

Reaction score
Supply and demand, my friend. Check out TrueCar and it will show you that the average market price is like 2k above MSRP. That’s why you have to shop around; I got lucky and paid 1k above MSRP but essentially stalked the Dealer websites until I got one that came in that was exactly as I wanted. Others on here are paying MSRP and getting their cars custom ordered, but I am not sure what the wait on it is currently.
It is absolutely insane how fast these things go- as I was there negotiating no less than 5 families came to see 2 cars on the lot. Good luck! This forum is awesome 😊

Mags

Reaction score
Supply and demand, my friend. Check out TrueCar and it will show you that the average market price is like 2k above MSRP. That’s why you have to shop around; I got lucky and paid 1k above MSRP but essentially stalked the Dealer websites until I got one that came in that was exactly as I wanted. Others on here are paying MSRP and getting their cars custom ordered, but I am not sure what the wait on it is currently.
It is absolutely insane how fast these things go- as I was there negotiating no less than 5 families came to see 2 cars on the lot. Good luck! This forum is awesome 😊
That’s exactly what my seles rep said “supply and demand”. But I’m willing to place an order for exactly what I want at msrp and wait for it. If many others have been successful at it I’ll give it a try. Thanks for sharing

ms8613a

Reaction score
That’s exactly what my seles rep said “supply and demand”. But I’m willing to place an order for exactly what I want at msrp and wait for it. If many others have been successful at it I’ll give it a try. Thanks for sharing
Yeah that’s a pretty reasonable request- I would check out some of the forums here that talk about this- I have seen mixed reviews as to whether it’s even possible anymore. Like I said I got lucky and figured a thousand over what I would ultimately pay was worth the hassle. I heard some shady dealers take your order and then try to market it up after it arrives- I hope this isn’t true.

Mags

Reaction score
Oh hello me 2 weeks ago! Nice to meet me :) I was / am in the same boat (Northern VA here) and gravitated to this group and a Telluride FB group. Lots of dealers here and there sell for MSRP and most I've seen will ship to you (or you can fly / drive there and drive home). The FB group is called "TellurideClassifieds" but the wealth of knowledge and advice here is far greater. Another thing to do is just start calling "close" dealers that you'd be willing to drive to. Many will indeed sell for MSRP, its just that this forum and FB make it easier to find those dealers. Anyway, within a few days of scouring this forum I had a deposit down on exactly the Telluride my wife and I wanted. Sure I'll need to wait another 1.5 months but that beats paying 5-10K markup. I've been quoted shipping between $1 to $1.5 dollars a mile which is always going to be less than the insane markups. Good luck!
I’m happy for you guys. I’d rather wait to get exactly what I want at msrp. Just need to find a dealership I can trust to do that for me. I don’t mind traveling for one. I’m getting myself anxious for one the more I search every day. Wish I could just order o e straight from KIAs website

Mags

Reaction score
Yeah that’s a pretty reasonable request- I would check out some of the forums here that talk about this- I have seen mixed reviews as to whether it’s even possible anymore. Like I said I got lucky and figured a thousand over what I would ultimately pay was worth the hassle. I heard some shady dealers take your order and then try to market it up after it arrives- I hope this isn’t true.
Very shady. That would put me over the edge after anticipating my cars arrival. I’ll keep reading the forum

BrendonSF

Reaction score
If you're willing to travel, there are a number of dealers that don't markup. Muncie in Indiana is probably the most popular but also has the most impacted order list. Steve Schmitt Kia in MO is another one that sells at MSRP. Luther Kia in MN sells at MSRP. As does Sansone Kia in NJ. Royal Kia in AZ. Hilltop Kia in CA. Friendly Kia in FL. They are a rare breed, but they do exist.

Telluride Forum

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up. I'm glad you found us! :) What might the Telluride be replacing for you?

Mags

Reaction score
I currently drive a 2019 Honda Civic but plan on keeping it. The Telluride is going to be the family vehicle.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Mags

Reaction score
If you're willing to travel, there are a number of dealers that don't markup. Muncie in Indiana is probably the most popular but also has the most impacted order list. Steve Schmitt Kia in MO is another one that sells at MSRP. Luther Kia in MN sells at MSRP. As does Sansone Kia in NJ. Royal Kia in AZ. Hilltop Kia in CA. Friendly Kia in FL. They are a rare breed, but they do exist.
Thank you!

Rattnroll

Reaction score
Thank you!
Where are you located in NC? I am in Roanoke, VA and there are a couple of dealers around me that will let you order at MSRP as it might be a little wait as they are smaller dealers but from the Failcat spreadsheet the one closest to me has been getting in several SX with Prestige packages lately that appear to be customer orders. If you are interested, I can get you a contact with a salesman at one of them to discuss placing an order for one.

kiaroc

Reaction score
I had called Sansone last Thursday. They are now charging 2 grand over msrp. Just FYI

Mags

Reaction score
I finally found what I wanted with Friendly KIA without the insane market adjustment. I’m so grateful for your response. Friendly KIA has been so great working with me over the last week. I’ll be flying there to pick up my Gravity Gray EX nightfall. I can’t wait!

alexdrums

Reaction score
I finally found what I wanted with Friendly KIA without the insane market adjustment. I’m so grateful for your response. Friendly KIA has been so great working with me over the last week. I’ll be flying there to pick up my Gravity Gray EX nightfall. I can’t wait!
FYI, Friendly Kia has some not-so-friendly addon requirements. You can search the forum here to find more info.

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score

That's great, but before flying, be sure to have a signed sales and finance contract with the price and any add-ons that you agreed to. You don't want any surprises at delivery... as Friendly typically has had add-ons.

Mags

Reaction score
That's great, but before flying, be sure to have a signed sales and finance contract with the price and any add-ons that you agreed to. You don't want any surprises at delivery... as Friendly typically has had add-ons.
Now I’m nervous. First time ever I buy a vehicle out of state where I had to fly in. I attached the cost breakdown I was emailed. The market price is the window sticker price plus an additional $1895 they added for the protection package. The protection package where they apply protective coat to the exterior and seats. It’s better than paying a $5,995 market adjustment at the dealerships near me. At least I will be getting something from it here. Thank you for advising caution. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Attachments

• E3D84B54-C16F-45A1-9706-EB5CDAA6CBB3.jpeg
    E3D84B54-C16F-45A1-9706-EB5CDAA6CBB3.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 50

alexdrums

Reaction score
Now I’m nervous. First time ever I buy a vehicle out of state where I had to fly in. I attached the cost breakdown I was emailed. The market price is the window sticker price plus an additional $1895 they added for the protection package. The protection package where they apply protective coat to the exterior and seats. It’s better than paying a $5,995 market adjustment at the dealerships near me. At least I will be getting something from it here. Thank you for advising caution. I’ll let you know how it goes.
I think the protection package is the add-on, so it’s good to hear they told you about it up front. But why not ask for the signed paperwork up front like @jw_tx21 said? Last minute surprises when car shopping are usually never good...especially if you are hundreds of miles from home.

P.S. The doc fee is a disguised markup. And what are the other fees? I can tell you right now this is not a great deal.

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score

Okay, that is upfront. Yes, they have the protection package for $1895 and then a very high $899 doc fee. Total of about $2500 in effective markup. In any case, as I said, they are upfront about the add-ons, and you're happy with the price, so the car can be yours. I believe that Friendly will be straightforward with you in the sale (they have been with other forum members who've agreed to their additions). What we wanted to caution you against is a salesperson saying yes, we sell at MSRP... then you fly down there and then hit you with the mandatory protection package and high doc fee at the last minute. Some dealerships do that to customers. Sounds like you'll be fine.

mikeycat

Reaction score
I contacted Friendly about a month ago, and they told me MSRP, I then asked if there were any add ons and he told me about the $1899 and the $899 doc fees. I fussed about those mark ups and he said, sorry, everyone pays them. I told him I'll pass. I ordered from Muncie, only markup was a $199 doc, and since I get the Costco discount and a veteran discount, it's about a $1200 savings on MSRP.