Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Self-Leveling Suspension

MrLatte

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the self-leveling suspension yet? Does it have benefits for those not towing but hauling lots of people? If you don't have it does the rear end sink with a lot of weight (cargo and/or passengers)?

dbern

Reaction score
I'm wondering the same thing as i'm a prospective buyer. Would love to hear people's input/experiences.

Crazymom5

Reaction score
We have the tow package with the self leveling. We haven’t had a whole lot of weight in the back yet - just an adult and a teenager. Didn’t notice any sinking.

Mavtek

Reaction score
I have that option, and I've had the option before on other vehicles. Typically there's an air compressor that inflates either bags or special shocks to lift the vehicle when it's loaded. Oddly enough I've never heard the compressor though, nor do I actually see anything under neath of mine with the exception of a hitch. Maybe someone can enlighten me? 1229122712281226

Mavtek

Reaction score
So loaded mine with around 400lbs and the rear of the vehicle compressed down 1.5". Started the vehicle and placed it in drive then back in park, then reverse, then back to park. Measured the ride height and nothing changed. It did not raise the rear of the vehicle. It appears the "self leveling suspension" does absolutely nothing.

Wap52

Black Copper SXP AWD Dune Brown with Towing
Reaction score
So is this self leveling system a sales pitch and we are paying 795 bucks for install? Very interesting.

Jastevenson

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
If you remeasure ride height after a few miles on the road it will adjust properly. The self leveling suspension in the Telluride is the “poor man’s” version, since it is not a true air suspension. The upside is that there is less stuff to break (ie no compressor). Google Nivomat.

My concern about the self leveling suspension is not that it does lot work, but whether it reduces the ride quality relative to regular.

Buckeye-TRide

Staff member
Reaction score
I have that option, and I've had the option before on other vehicles. Typically there's an air compressor that inflates either bags or special shocks to lift the vehicle when it's loaded. Oddly enough I've never heard the compressor though, nor do I actually see anything under neath of mine with the exception of a hitch. Maybe someone can enlighten me? View attachment 1229View attachment 1227View attachment 1228View attachment 1226
Your rear struts are about twice the circumference of mine. I’d assume they’re just up-rated and capable of “leveling” a larger load just due to their capacity. You’d think the ride would be a bit harsher similar to an unloaded dualy pickup.

Attachments

Buckeye-TRide

Staff member
Reaction score
how do these “self level” tho?
It has 2 fluid reservoirs, 1 low pressure, and 1 high pressure. When there is a heavier load it will pump more fluid to bring the suspension up to a normal height. This happens after you drive a little bit as the shock has to move a bit to get the fluids moving and the suspension leveled out. I’d never heard of these until now and would think this would be the way to go to avoid all the pumps and bladders needed for those god awful air suspensions that always malfunction.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Buckeye-TRide

Staff member
Reaction score
So loaded mine with around 400lbs and the rear of the vehicle compressed down 1.5". Started the vehicle and placed it in drive then back in park, then reverse, then back to park. Measured the ride height and nothing changed. It did not raise the rear of the vehicle. It appears the "self leveling suspension" does absolutely nothing.
You have to drive a little bit to get the suspension to articulate and move enough fluid to level out.

Joflo0705

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Huh, very interesting, wonder if the springs are the same between tow package and non tow package. Or would it only be the struts? Very interesting and pretty cool if u ask me.

Lou Panozzo

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
So somebody adding a tow hitch after purchasing the vehicle should be able to purchase and add the shocks if they wanted too.

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
So somebody adding a tow hitch after purchasing the vehicle should be able to purchase and add the shocks if they wanted too.
Potentially yes if the Telluride does not use a compressor to activate them. Nivomat makes a self leveling shock for GM and Volvo. A pair for Volvo sells for $350. I think the self leveling package may help with rear ride height while under heavy load to distribute weight to the front but you possibly get a harder shock in the back. When there is no heavy load I’m not sure it makes a difference. I guess if you tow a heavy load a lot you might wear out the standard shocks faster and the rear might sag? But a pair of standard shocks may only run $100.

Buckeye-TRide

Staff member
Reaction score
Potentially yes if the Telluride does not use a compressor to activate them. Nivomat makes a self leveling shock for GM and Volvo. A pair for Volvo sells for $350. I think the self leveling package may help with rear ride height while under heavy load to distribute weight to the front but you possibly get a harder shock in the back. When there is no heavy load I’m not sure it makes a difference. I guess if you tow a heavy load a lot you might wear out the standard shocks faster and the rear might sag? But a pair of standard shocks may only run $100.
From what I’ve read there’s 2 reservoirs. 1 for low pressure and 1 for high, so in theory, when not under load the shock should perform normally and only firm up when the additional weight is present.