No soliciting permitted.

Severe Driving Conditions

KSRufus

Reaction score
WHAT! I just found out from the KIA people that because I live West of the Mississippi and East of the Rockies that I’m in an area considered by KIA as “Severe Driving Conditions “. I did not buy a vehicle to be tethered to a KIA dealership. Maybe 5000 mile oil changes would have been more reasonable than 3750 mile oil changes. Maybe KIA should have a better air filtration system or filter for their vehicles that are used in this large area of the country. Adding insult to injury, KIA wants me to change my Automatic Transmission Fluid at 60K miles. I have never been restricted like this with my US made vehicles and they operate just fine. Is this KIA’s way of getting out of warranty claims? NOT HAPPY!

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

ksyrah

Reaction score
WHAT! I just found out from the KIA people that because I live West of the Mississippi and East of the Rockies that I’m in an area considered by KIA as “Severe Driving Conditions “. I did not buy a vehicle to be tethered to a KIA dealership. Maybe 5000 mile oil changes would have been more reasonable than 3750 mile oil changes. Maybe KIA should have a better air filtration system or filter for their vehicles that are used in this large area of the country. Adding insult to injury, KIA wants me to change my Automatic Transmission Fluid at 60K miles. I have never been restricted like this with my US made vehicles and they operate just fine. Is this KIA’s way of getting out of warranty claims? NOT HAPPY!
Who are "the KIA people"? The dealer trying to make more service $$?
Page 7-9 of the manual defines severe. It is not geographic.

Last edited:

skuzuker28

Reaction score
Who are the Kia people? What does the manual recommend for you usage?

60k for transmission fluid isn't that bad, our Honda is 30k.

YAH DEF

Reaction score
I don't understand this post. I live in Canada and there are no geographical conditions attached to my warranty or maintenance schedule. Kia Canada recommends a first oil change at 6000km - about 3700 miles - but if I decide to do it at 7000km or 8000km (4300-5000 miles), nothing is going to happen to my warranty.

kcwjr1948

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Severe Driving Conditions are defined in the owners manual on page 7 - 13. There is no mention of location, altitude or climate. Sounds like a dealer wants you to service your car more often - probably unnecessarily.

qwikhit

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Nothing hurt besides your wallet for changing the trans fluid and engine oil. Yeah that whole geographic location thing is BS

Tellthemride

Reaction score
Pretty much any location could be considered severe usage.
  • Driving short distances
  • Driving slow speeds
  • Roads that use salt
  • Heavy traffic
  • Uphill or downhill
  • Frequent stop and go
Only place this would not apply is the rural plains in a low populated town.

Attachments

• A91F2A28-5F5D-443B-8565-591B1362512D.png
    A91F2A28-5F5D-443B-8565-591B1362512D.png
    720.1 KB · Views: 16
  • DB044030-F61F-441F-AF1A-508EB8A5A3A8.png
    DB044030-F61F-441F-AF1A-508EB8A5A3A8.png
    637.7 KB · Views: 16

Senator20

Reaction score
I would sell it ASAP. How dare them, want you to change your transmission fluid to help it last longer

Husker Soze

Staff member
Reaction score

gman1868

The name is... Dumas.
Reaction score
I never follow the manual for that stuff, I always do it sooner :)

KSRufus

Reaction score
The KIA people are KIA Consumer Affairs Dept. Contact them for a copy of their July 31, 2020 correspondence titled “Important Reminder of Engine Maintenance Requirements for Engine Longevity”. Pay special note to item 4 under “Severe Usage Conditions”. Also, I never said anything about KIA making more $.

PassingTime

Reaction score
The KIA people are KIA Consumer Affairs Dept. Contact them for a copy of their July 31, 2020 correspondence titled “Important Reminder of Engine Maintenance Requirements for Engine Longevity”. Pay special note to item 4 under “Severe Usage Conditions”. Also, I never said anything about KIA making more $.
I live in that area, purchased from a KS dealer and suspect from your screen name you are somewhere in that vicinity. At the time of purchase (Oct, 2020 for a 2021 SX AWD) I was introduced to service department manager and he gave me instructions and his card for free first oil change at 7500 mi. Neither he nor the salesman ever mentioned anything about a regional adjustment for oil changes or other maintenance requirements. I have never received anything from KIA or their consumers affairs dept. I suspect an overzealous marketing person is responsible and not a maintenance technician.

YAH DEF

Reaction score
That correspondence is a reminder of what's in the Kia Owner's Manual with the addition of some "i.es" - examples of severe conditions. Maybe some people are happier seeing it spelled out. My Honda Owners Manual was the same minus the examples but of course the same language about proper maintenance and the warranty.

Here is the Kia one you mentioned:

Attachments

• MC-10177729-0001.pdf
    375.6 KB · Views: 9

YAH DEF

Reaction score
I live in that area, purchased from a KS dealer and suspect from your screen name you are somewhere in that vicinity. At the time of purchase (Oct, 2020 for a 2021 SX AWD) I was introduced to service department manager and he gave me instructions and his card for free first oil change at 7500 mi. Neither he nor the salesman ever mentioned anything about a regional adjustment for oil changes or other maintenance requirements. I have never received anything from KIA or their consumers affairs dept. I suspect an overzealous marketing person is responsible and not a maintenance technician.
Here's what KS is referring to. It's a longer version of what's in the Owner's Manual. It gives examples, including geography, but its overall message is basically "do a lot of maintenance on your car so you don't cause problems you want us to pay for."

Attachments

• MC-10177729-0001.pdf
    375.6 KB · Views: 11

PassingTime

Reaction score
That correspondence is a reminder of what's in the Kia Owner's Manual with the addition of some "i.es" - examples of severe conditions. Maybe some people are happier seeing it spelled out. My Honda Owners Manual was the same minus the examples but of course the same language about proper maintenance and the warranty.

Here is the Kia one you mentioned:
Yep, the Midwest, Great Plains etc. is known for those "dusty conditions" LOL, look at the great dust bowl from the 1930's that was dusty for sure! KIA is located in Irvine CA, OMG so wonder what they recommend if you are in their Earthquake, Fire, Mudslide, Salty Air, El Nino - La Nina Wind zones? Surely they need monthly fluid changes! Okay I am just joking, got to laugh at those letters sometimes. Western KS does have a lot of Stink Zones from the feed lots and processing plants though! Wonder if that requires frequent changes of cabin air filter? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

YAH DEF

Reaction score
Yep, the Midwest, Great Plains etc. is known for those "dusty conditions" LOL, look at the great dust bowl from the 1930's that was dusty for sure! KIA is located in Irvine CA, OMG so wonder what they recommend if you are in their Earthquake, Fire, Mudslide, Salty Air, El Nino - La Nina Wind zones? Surely they need monthly fluid changes! Okay I am just joking, got to laugh at those letters sometimes.
Yah. It's boilerplate cover our butt stuff. I live in Canada and have never been told to follow any but the standard maintenance schedule. And also told, on my previous cars, "If you don't do it with Honda, just use the right products and keep your receipts to prove it in case we're assholes and try to blame you for anything wrong with your car."