No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Share your absurd dealer asking price

mshearer

Reaction score
Another SoCal dealer re SXP for was $56885 reduced to $51855. They're doing a$7000 market adjustment?! Now I'll have to possibly hunt for a totally different car! Had my heart set on the SXP!
We went today to look at an SXP at Riverside Kia. MSRP is $47,000 and the dealer added on a $10,000 dealer markup, so it was a whopping $57,000. Just to see if it was common practice, we went to Pomona Kia and they had a $10,000 dealer markup as well. It’s a nice vehicle, but if the $10,000 is still on it come March, I’ll be heading over to Nissan for the Pathfinder and purchase an extended warranty for a lot lower price.

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
We went today to look at an SXP at Riverside Kia. MSRP is $47,000 and the dealer added on a $10,000 dealer markup, so it was a whopping $57,000. Just to see if it was common practice, we went to Pomona Kia and they had a $10,000 dealer markup as well. It’s a nice vehicle, but if the $10,000 is still on it come March, I’ll be heading over to Nissan for the Pathfinder and purchase an extended warranty for a lot lower price.
Reach out to @MichaelCapitolKia

Jmar28

Reaction score
I dont anticipate the mark ups to be there for much longer at most dealerships because the newly redesigned Toyota Highlander has just now started to hit the showrooms. At the least I believe the markups will be drastically reduced. Keeping markups high would be foolish with the introduction of a redesigned competitor that sells extremely well.

G

G-220225

Napelton Kia in Elmhurst, IL- $15k market adjustment for SX-P

Elgin, IL Kia- $5k over for any in stock trim

Kia of Caramel, IN - $4995 over for SX-P

I was told at Elgin I would be able to get SX-P at sticker if i placed an order.

chitownrida

Reaction score
Napelton Kia in Elmhurst IL, 15k over for SX-P
Kia of Carmel IN, $4995 over for SX-P
Kia of Elgin, IL , $5k over for any in-stock units, orders offered at MSRP

raydog9379

Reaction score
Napelton Kia in Elmhurst IL, 15k over for SX-P
Kia of Carmel IN, $4995 over for SX-P
Kia of Elgin, IL , $5k over for any in-stock units, orders offered at MSRP
I got $3k off w/ Costco pricing at Elgin (one of a couple in the country offering it). Just have to wait. I could have pushed and got MSRP on an SX-P they had there if I wanted to, but it was missing a couple things I wanted and figure for $3k off I’d save the $ considering I can wait 4-5 months.

BellyTelly

Reaction score
I got $3k off w/ Costco pricing at Elgin (one of a couple in the country offering it). Just have to wait. I could have pushed and got MSRP on an SX-P they had there if I wanted to, but it was missing a couple things I wanted and figure for $3k off I’d save the $ considering I can wait 4-5 months.
Dang that’s a good deal. Back in September For me they would only come off $700 for Costco pricing.

alexdrums

Reaction score
I dont anticipate the mark ups to be there for much longer at most dealerships because the newly redesigned Toyota Highlander has just now started to hit the showrooms. At the least I believe the markups will be drastically reduced. Keeping markups high would be foolish with the introduction of a redesigned competitor that sells extremely well.
Wouldn’t expect the new Highlander to make much of a dent in the Telluride’s sales at all. Although it is a refined and probably nice driving machine, it is not breaking any new ground. The styling is mediocre and the infotainment system is a high gloss, glare magnet. The higher trims do away with knobs for the climate control...dumb. It is also a lot smaller than the Telluride, and much like the Explorer, there is a upward slope to the cargo area which is just plain annoying. I want my CUV/SUV to be like an enclosed pickup truck...with a bed...not with a slope everything will roll out of every time I open the hatch!

SorentoSXL

Reaction score
Wouldn’t expect the new Highlander to make much of a dent in the Telluride’s sales at all. Although it is a refined and probably nice driving machine, it is not breaking any new ground. The styling is mediocre and the infotainment system is a high gloss, glare magnet. The higher trims do away with knobs for the climate control...dumb. It is also a lot smaller than the Telluride, and much like the Explorer, there is a upward slope to the cargo area which is just plain annoying. I want my CUV/SUV to be like an enclosed pickup truck...with a bed...not with a slope everything will roll out of every time I open the hatch!
Agreed. The Highlander was kept similar in size to the old one so as not to alienate the droves of buyers who keep coming back for more. It's not the crossover you want if you want to put anyone (besides small kids) in the third row on a regular basis. It'll be fine for what is is, but the Telly is much larger inside and offers more utility. Gas mileage on the Highlander is impressive though!

juliet_tango81

Reaction score
Took the wife to look today, for an SX Non-Prestige they were trying to add $8k on top of MSRP at Parkway Kia In Houston, TX. Told them to piss up a rope! Called Classic Kia in the Dallas area and will just order at MSRP minus incentives. My mind was blown by that $8k mark up.

StephenCantrelle

FOUNDING MEMBER
AUTHORIZED DEALER
Reaction score
Took the wife to look today, for an SX Non-Prestige they were trying to add $8k on top of MSRP at Parkway Kia In Houston, TX. Told them to piss up a rope! Called Classic Kia in the Dallas area and will just order at MSRP minus incentives. My mind was blown by that $8k mark up.
I appreciate you reaching out! Look forward to getting you the perfect Telluride at the right price!

G

G-286510

We saw markups of between $2500-$7000 on EX and SX non-P models at various dealers outside of Philadelphia and in New Jersey.

The worst was Kia in Allentown who wanted $6995 market adjustment until I told them I had a better market adjustment offer, at which point they were ready to drop it to $3500-4000 for an SX non-P.
We ultimately found that we could get the Hyundai Palisade Limited at MSRP, which is essentially the SXP, for less than the SXP with the market adjustment. We went with that.

(There was one Hyundai dealer trying to charge a $3k markup on the Limited trims but I easily found 2 Philly area dealers without the markup.) They also have cars coming in more frequently than Kia it seems - 6 Limiteds are due in at our dealer this month (though 4 are already sold).

Much happier that I put any additional dollars into features rather than lining the dealers pockets. Definitely disappointed in the greed exhibited by the Kia dealers in our first time ever considering a Kia.

ptdriscoll

Reaction score
I went to Elgin Kia today and their Costco Savings was $500 for each EX-P and SX-P. Can you tell me how you got $3000 off? Can I see that member only price sheet that has that?

JBR

Reaction score
Got an SX non Prestige for MSRP here in Colorado. Peak Kia North did us right. Got 1K off for financing. We happened to be there when they had it so we swooped in and got it.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

raydog9379

Reaction score
I went to Elgin Kia today and their Costco Savings was $500 for each EX-P and SX-P. Can you tell me how you got $3000 off? Can I see that member only price sheet that has that?
Maybe things changed, I ordered about 8 weeks ago now (crazy to say that)...especially with the price increases by Kia recently. I can't find the Costco sheet that showed the breakdown of each item and it's invoice price along with MSRP and the Costco price, but I have the order that shows the MSRP and the Final Price (which will go up slightly due to Kia price increases)...they're exactly $3k difference.

Regardless even if you get $500 off MSRP, they're the only dealer around here that isn't hitting you for several grand over MSRP. The cheapest over MSRP was in Gary Lang in McHenry at only $2k over, and others I contacted wanted around $10k over. I couldn't justify a $5k swing for the $3k+$2k over MSRP at the time to get one then that might not have had every option/color I wanted vs. waiting 4-5 months (what I was told at the time).

Plus the guys at Elgin were pretty damn efficient with getting me in/out. No games were played. I had exactly an hour to get home and kickoff a conference call. Drove an SX-P they had on a decent length test drive, and played with our options for the order, and done in about 40 min.

If I was doing it now, I'd likely find the dealers with the most vehicles in the area and of those highest Prestige #s via the spreadsheet that is on another thread. Then see if I can get an order at MSRP from them (probably can't since the biggest ones in the Chicago area seem to be some of the biggest offenders in the scheme of screwing people on orders (i.e. saying they have an order but don't, or selling their car out from under them) and / or ADM over MSRP as well as required add-ons).

crimscrem

Reaction score
My experience in talking to several dealerships in the Indianapolis and Washington, DC areas is that they may have a market adjustment, but they are generally willing to order at MSRP (particularly for the Indianapolis area). I went to the Kia Carmel dealership and spoke with their head sales manager, and he was certainly playing hardball, but said he would order one for me at MSRP. I wasn't and am not interested in paying MSRP, so I passed.