No soliciting permitted.

Share your absurd dealer asking price

superk1977

Reaction score
Kia in Elgin, IL was charging about 4K "market adjustment" above MSRP for an S model. They said if I wanted to order an SX it might be 6-10K above MSRP and 8-10 month wait! But I used Failcat and found a few SX's coming in to their dealership. So I don't think the sales guy know enough about it.

SC300ES

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Is this a new tactic by the dealers where they sell/order at MSRP but when you get the vehicle there is a dealer market adjustment/add-ons? We have a lot of people who ordered at MSRP here that will be disappointed when the vehicle arrives in three months.

I should say it has happened to some here in the past but we have a lot of new members that ordered at MSRP recently.

Last edited:

jw_tx21

SUSTAINING MEMBER
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Is this a new tactic by the dealers where they sell/order at MSRP but when you get the vehicle there is a dealer market adjustment/add-ons? We have a lot of people who ordered at MSRP here that will be disappointed when the vehicle arrives in three months.

I should say it has happened to some here in the past but we have a lot of new members that ordered at MSRP recently.
A lot of people just leave an open ended order and don't negotiate the price before leaving a deposit. They also don't get any order contract/sheet with a price. Customers should always negotiate prior to leaving a deposit for a vehicle and have proper sign off from the sales manager. Some dealers have switched on customers - but most of the time there is only a verbal agreement to sell at MSRP from a salesperson - and then when it arrives - sales manager says there's a markup. Most of the time the customer never got anything in writing.

noles1983

Reaction score
A lot of people just leave an open ended order and don't negotiate the price before leaving a deposit. They also don't get any order contract/sheet with a price. Customers should always negotiate prior to leaving a deposit for a vehicle and have proper sign off from the sales manager. Some dealers have switched on customers - but most of the time there is only a verbal agreement to sell at MSRP from a salesperson - and then when it arrives - sales manager says there's a markup. Most of the time the customer never got anything in writing.
Good advice, when I am able to actually make an order, I will keep this in mind. The dealer I am in contact with sent me this, so I am unsure how to even get to the ordering stage:

"At this time Kia is not accepting orders for Specific units. All we, or any dealer, can truly do is have the specs of what you are looking for. When one becomes available, we try and have it allocated to us. Given what is going on in the world right now, the factory is only running at a third capacity."

jw_tx21

SUSTAINING MEMBER
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Good advice, when I am able to actually make an order, I will keep this in mind. The dealer I am in contact with sent me this, so I am unsure how to even get to the ordering stage:

"At this time Kia is not accepting orders for Specific units. All we, or any dealer, can truly do is have the specs of what you are looking for. When one becomes available, we try and have it allocated to us. Given what is going on in the world right now, the factory is only running at a third capacity."
I wrote a bit more about this in the thread below, and you can read up in the referenced thread. Bottom line is that some dealerships will take your spec'd order and then input it into KFOS when they have an allocation, and other dealerships don't want to bother with orders and just try and match customers on a list with an incoming unit. Some of the highest volume stores don't want to bother with orders, as it is a lot to keep track of. Taking an order should be viewed as a dealership service.

natetom

Reaction score
Same boat, just started getting serious into looking, one dealer today told me he cant order SX-P Nightfall's yet, but other dealerships can? I dont care if it will take months, I just want to order one without a 3k+ markup. It's completely insane.
I had a talk with a dealer here in N. Virginia. This dealer told me that dealerships get "an allotment" or the ability to do orders if they sell a certain combination of vehicles and packages that have been sent to them. I was having the same conflicting info this weekend (some can't order, some can, etc). Not sure this is true, but this dealer has been upfront with me so far.

ebox3000

Reaction score
Called Beaverton Kia today and they informEd me that there was a SX Nightfall Edition coming in next Friday for $7k market adjustment. I’ll stick to my deal at Power Kia in Salem, Oregon for MSRP.

Meaganhanna

Reaction score
Kia Cerritos just called me back and told me that the Dark Moss SXP Nightfall edition they have on their lot is going to be $10k over MSRP. Thanks but noooo.

Flekke

Reaction score
Had an order with them since October of 2019 for an SX AWD, black/black with prestige only and agreed to a sales price of MSRP. Got a call last night that they had an incoming SX AWD, black/black, prestige, nightfall, towing and the sales price was $55,510 which includes a $5k markup. Based on our conversations, Hilltop Kia is also now marking up their vehicles. I was however able to get them to cut the markup in half but it was still about $6k more than we planned to spend. I let them know we would wait for a vehicle that matches our original specs and we would try to make a deal then.
Who are are you working with over there? Did they confirm that they will not honor your order at MSRP? Because they might be marking up unspoken for cars and still honor MSRP for orders.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

natetom

Reaction score
This is the most expensive one I’ve come across yet...$59,000

This thread prompted me to go back thru my offers. $59360 from Browns in Manassas. That's for a Silver w/ Dune SX w/ Prestige, Tow, and Nightfall. And it SOLD. Someone paid that. The markup is actually over 10K because of the "accessory package" which is the door guards, pin striping and who knows what else. That pin striping looks terrible, at least at this particular dealer.
1596334188495.png

Flekke

Reaction score
Hilltop Kia will order at MSRP (got mine from there) and a family member just placed an order for 21MY. I would call and ask for Moa.. great experience overall
Had an order with them since October of 2019 for an SX AWD, black/black with prestige only and agreed to a sales price of MSRP. Got a call last night that they had an incoming SX AWD, black/black, prestige, nightfall, towing and the sales price was $55,510 which includes a $5k markup. Based on our conversations, Hilltop Kia is also now marking up their vehicles. I was however able to get them to cut the markup in half but it was still about $6k more than we planned to spend. I let them know we would wait for a vehicle that matches our original specs and we would try to make a deal then.
FYI.. just saw this post for someone ordering at MSRP from hilltop Kia..

NightRider

Reaction score
$70k from Daytona Kia!

This was one of (if not *the*) first Nightfall to show up on failcat. Black on black SXPT. Not sure what it actually sold for...
This wins! Absolutely absurd. I was quoted 59K for an EX Nightfall but this definitely takes the cake.

NightRider

Reaction score
This thread prompted me to go back thru my offers. $59360 from Browns in Manassas. That's for a Silver w/ Dune SX w/ Prestige, Tow, and Nightfall. And it SOLD. Someone paid that. The markup is actually over 10K because of the "accessory package" which is the door guards, pin striping and who knows what else. That pin striping looks terrible, at least at this particular dealer.
View attachment 8790
I was quoted the same pricing by Ourisman Kia Chantilly but it was for an EX Nightfall. Ridiculous!

mgoblue

Reaction score
Seriously, what is this dealer smoking?
Like I said I think it was the first Nightfall to show up on fail at a month or so ago, before anyone had any idea of how many would be produced (or even what it looked like). Probably 30+ of us here reached out about it so I imagine they were testing the waters on an absurd price to see if anyone would bite.

Familyman20

Reaction score
Its costly to be the first cool kid in town thats for sure. Wonder if they'll get buyers remorse when they start to see all the other Nightfalls cruising around town now too considering KIA unexpectedly shoved a ton of em down dealers throats this month before fulfilling "sold" orders from last year! Ha