No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Sick to my stomach: Paint and windshield issues

hammick

Reaction score
Did a 2,600 mile road trip to Montana. We have a 2nd home there and I have done this trip scores of times in other vehicles. Cleaning up our brand new Telluride today and I noticed that there are numerous paint chips all over the front of the vehicle, a handful on the hood and some on the mirrors. The windshield also has many micro chips. The font area with the Telluride lettering has in excess of fifty chips.

Now driving across I-90 in the winter is rough on vehicles. They use sand on the roads and obviously it gets kicked up by the vehicles in front. But sand shouldn't chip a vehicle's paint.

I have never had issues like this with the Chevy trucks and Jeep vehicles we have owned that have made this trip. Sure a rock getting kicked up will chip paint but sand shouldn't.

Very disappointed with the durability of the paint and windshield. Otherwise this is the best highway vehicle we have ever owned.

I'm going to get a paint pen and have our insurance company look at the windshield.

This sucks.

sdbonez

Reaction score
Did a 2,600 mile road trip to Montana. We have a 2nd home there and I have done this trip scores of times in other vehicles. Cleaning up our brand new Telluride today and I noticed that there are numerous paint chips all over the front of the vehicle, a handful on the hood and some on the mirrors. The windshield also has many micro chips. The font area with the Telluride lettering has in excess of fifty chips.

Now driving across I-90 in the winter is rough on vehicles. They use sand on the roads and obviously it gets kicked up by the vehicles in front. But sand shouldn't chip a vehicle's paint.

I have never had issues like this with the Chevy trucks and Jeep vehicles we have owned that have made this trip. Sure a rock getting kicked up will chip paint but sand shouldn't.

Very disappointed with the durability of the paint and windshield. Otherwise this is the best highway vehicle we have ever owned.

I'm going to get a paint pen and have our insurance company look at the windshield.

This sucks.
I've been researching extra windshield coverage and a bra for exactly this reason (mine hasn't arrived). Never thought I'd be considering it but something tells me this is a long-haul car that's going to run toward the 10yr ownership mark...

bmkt

Reaction score
After a trip I noticed the paint chipped on the edge of the front hood, all the way through. The paint pen did the trick but I can't believe it chipped like that.

Jason Fox

AUTHORIZED DEALER
Reaction score

This sucks.
At one time I had a brand new BMW 550iGT. Gorgeous black vehicle. Put about 35k miles on it. The front of the vehicle, mirrors, pillars and roof looked like it was covered in salt however they were micro sized chips and the primer showing through. Took to BMW and zero help. I mean more or less a big F you. Complained with corporate. No go. Sent a rep out. I was told I drove it down a gravel road. Lol. Right. With aftermarket BBS wheels and low profile tires. I sold it. I'll never have a BMW again. That being said... Take the Telluride to your local dealer. KIA is great about making things right.

jeffo65

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Chevy paint/clear is very hard and does not chip easily. If you think KIA paint is soft and chips easily, you should stay away from Subarus. Subaru is very soft.

392DCGC

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Nearing 12K miles on our Telluride with no issues to note of so far, about half of them being highway miles. Hasn't seen snow yet though, so hopefully the story doesn't change.

drizzt

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
That is so sad and upsetting even. I have chips on front bumper from hitting rocks on highway during summer travels. I have door dings(?) where only paint is scraped off. No matter how much I will baby my KT, it will get dings, scrapes and chips I know, but the paint seem just too fragile. Perhaps ceramic coating is the way to go...

hammick

Reaction score
That is so sad and upsetting even. I have chips on front bumper from hitting rocks on highway during summer travels. I have door dings(?) where only paint is scraped off. No matter how much I will baby my KT, it will get dings, scrapes and chips I know, but the paint seem just too fragile. Perhaps ceramic coating is the way to go...
Nope. Ceramic coating won't help (at least not the stuff I used). I coated my entire Telluride before the trip. Even applied a coat of wax two days after the coating was fully cured.

hammick

Reaction score
At one time I had a brand new BMW 550iGT. Gorgeous black vehicle. Put about 35k miles on it. The front of the vehicle, mirrors, pillars and roof looked like it was covered in salt however they were micro sized chips and the primer showing through. Took to BMW and zero help. I mean more or less a big F you. Complained with corporate. No go. Sent a rep out. I was told I drove it down a gravel road. Lol. Right. With aftermarket BBS wheels and low profile tires. I sold it. I'll never have a BMW again. That being said... Take the Telluride to your local dealer. KIA is great about making things right.
I'm afraid my Telluride is well on it's way to looking like your 550iGT just not as noticeable since it isn't black. The more I look the more micro chips I am finding. I'm heading to my dealer to pick up my MSO and paperwork (makes me sick just typing that). I will show the GM all the micro dings and see if service will write something up. I will then contact KIA. I'm not expecting my dealer to do anything other than document it.

G

G-696911

I cannot believe you complain about this. How is that a defect? So that means the people that do 3M clear bra and ceramic coating are hypocrites then? I'm sure the robots paint with the same process as any other top manifacturers do. You guys use this place to just bitch and complain. You are driving 75+ mph on some of these highways plus the wind and there will be debris that will impact with your car. I came here thinking there will be people that will pimp out their cars posting DIY's with pictures but some of you guys complaints are worse than hearing women complaining in body shops. So if you are driving and get a rockchip on your windshield, you are gonna try to warranty that too then? Where is your common sense? Even if you get the most expensive bumper to bumper warranty, they are not gonna cover your wear-and-tares such as your brake pads, wipers, tires, belts, etc.

ucinn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Ceramic coating does not protect against chips, it only protects against bird droppings, tree sap, bug juice.. to protect from rock chips you need o go with a PPF or clear bra. Most of them are self healing and really work well. Only problems I've had is you can get dirt buildup near the seams and it's a little tougher to clean there without damaging it.

G

G-727382

There are bigger problems to deal with the Telluride (mine has not arrived yet).

The windshield wipers cannot be lifted to clear ice and snow.
It will accumulate under the upper hood lip and break the windshield wiper arms. The upper hood lip prevents wiper arms from being lifted, so the trough can be cleared of ice.

hammick

Reaction score
I had my dealer look at our Telluride today. The service manager and I drove down the street to their go to body shop and paint guy. Pretty much the entire front of our Telluride is sandblasted. The paint expert told me how my headlight covers, plastics and windshield were also blasted. He said it's not a paint issue when the glass and plastics are also damaged.

So even though our Telluride is only three weeks old I actually feel better knowing I don't have to have a fight with KIA.

I ordered a paint pen and I'll touch up the microchips so they don't rust. I don't think I will make an insurance claim as I can't guarantee that it won't happen again. We usually don't keep our cars longer than 3 years but I think we should keep the Telluride for five or six years. Now I can drive it and not worry about any new dings.

I keep telling myself that you can't see the damage unless you look for it.

Jason Fox

AUTHORIZED DEALER
Reaction score
I'm afraid my Telluride is well on it's way to looking like your 550iGT just not as noticeable since it isn't black. The more I look the more micro chips I am finding. I'm heading to my dealer to pick up my MSO and paperwork (makes me sick just typing that). I will show the GM all the micro dings and see if service will write something up. I will then contact KIA. I'm not expecting my dealer to do anything other than document it.
[/QUOTE
I had my dealer look at our Telluride today. The service manager and I drove down the street to their go to body shop and paint guy. Pretty much the entire front of our Telluride is sandblasted. The paint expert told me how my headlight covers, plastics and windshield were also blasted. He said it's not a paint issue when the glass and plastics are also damaged.

So even though our Telluride is only three weeks old I actually feel better knowing I don't have to have a fight with KIA.

I ordered a paint pen and I'll touch up the microchips so they don't rust. I don't think I will make an insurance claim as I can't guarantee that it won't happen again. We usually don't keep our cars longer than 3 years but I think we should keep the Telluride for five or six years. Now I can drive it and not worry about any new dings.

I keep telling myself that you can't see the damage unless you look for it.
Jeesh. Where were you driving... Saudi Arabia?

hammick

Reaction score
Jeesh. Where were you driving... Saudi Arabia?
Just up I-29 and across I-90 like I have many times before. They use sand on the roads in WY, MT and SD. Not sure why this time was different. Maybe in the past I haven't been able to drive as fast or the wind was heavier.

Jason Fox

AUTHORIZED DEALER
Reaction score
Just up I-29 and across I-90 like I have many times before. They use sand on the roads in WY, MT and SD. Not sure why this time was different. Maybe in the past I haven't been able to drive as fast or the wind was heavier.
WOW. Seems crazy it would affect glass/plastic.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!