You've found the busiest Telluride community online!

Please register and become a member. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Small travel trailer towing options

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Aside from the lacking 7-pin wiring harness and OEM brake controller, the disappointing figure when you look at the specs that overshadows the 5,000lb towing capacity is the underwhelming 351lb maximum tongue weight. While that's probably plenty to hang a few bikes off of, it can limit your options if you want to rent or buy a travel trailer. In case anyone can benefit from a little research, I dug into travel trailer options that would allow you to stay under 5,000 lbs GVWR, and the list includes small (20-23ft) travel trailers that had a hitch weight rating under 351lbs and sleep 5-6. The list is pretty short, but might serve as good starting point for anyone shopping for a travel trailer of this size not just for the Telluride specs for a minivan or another SUV with similar specs. If the max tongue weight were closer to 500lb there are a handful of smaller and even 22-23ft travel trailers that would have still fit the bill, but 351lbs limits the options some. (By comparison, when you look at most of the competitors to the Telluride they start at 450lbs (Honda Pilot) and most are at 500lbs., ex. Ascent, Explorer, Durango) So for example there are some nice options that are 18ft long that sleep 4 but their hitch weight rating was closer to 450lbs. Longer trailers allowed for the weight to distribute more thus lowering the hitch weight.

Regardless, the travel trailers below range between $10-20K USD used or new and all have a hitch weight rating under 351lbs with a dry weight between 2575-3750 that even after loaded up, will help keep you under 5,000.

FireMartZ

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
According to the Pilot owner's manual, tongue load limit depends on the drive-train and on the number of occupants (as obviously occupants add weight on the rear).

Kia's 351 lbs pretty much match the Pilot FWD with only 1 passenger.

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
That’s interesting. I always thought that 2WD was better at towing than AWD or 4WD.

Regardless I think that Front Wheel Drive is standard on the Pilot just as it is with the Telluride, so it is a good but disappointing comparison.

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I found this post in etrailer that describes how Kia documents the Sorento and I may be changing my thinking: Tongue Weight Capacity for 2019 Kia Sorento | etrailer.com

It sounds from that article that they are saying that the factory 2” hitch receiver from Kia has a max tongue rating of 351lbs. Limiting you to max trailer weight of 3,510lbs. But if you get an aftermarket hitch receiver with a TW rating of 500 or more then you can get up to 5,000lbs. And of course you would need to compliment it with a brake controller and 7pin harness.

Last edited:

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
"Your 2019 Kia Sorento is rated for 2,000 lbs and 200 lb tongue weight if you have the 2.4L 4-cylinder engine and 1-1/4 inch trailer hitch receiver. If you have the 3.3L V6 then if you have the 3,500 lb towing capacity with 350 lb tongue weight if you have the 1-1/4 inch receiver and 5,000 lb and 500 lb tongue weight if you have the 2 inch receiver. "

Your article says 2 inch receiver means 5,000lb 500lb tongue.

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
"Your 2019 Kia Sorento is rated for 2,000 lbs and 200 lb tongue weight if you have the 2.4L 4-cylinder engine and 1-1/4 inch trailer hitch receiver. If you have the 3.3L V6 then if you have the 3,500 lb towing capacity with 350 lb tongue weight if you have the 1-1/4 inch receiver and 5,000 lb and 500 lb tongue weight if you have the 2 inch receiver. "

Your article says 2 inch receiver means 5,000lb 500lb tongue.
Correct. That article is describing the aftermarket options that are available for the 2019 Kia Sorento. 2", 5,000 lb and 500lb tongue is a Class III hitch. The problem I have is that the Telluride's OEM 2" receiver from Kia is only rated for 351lb tongue weight which in theory suggest 3,510 towing capacity (not 5,000). But if you look at the Telluride's manual it suggests 1,650 lb max tow capacity without a brake.

2,000 lb capacity, 200 lb TW, 1-1/4" hitch receiver usually equates to a Class I (4-wire harness)
3,500 lb capacity, 350 lb TW, 1-1/4" hitch receiver usually equates to a Class II (most states require brake controller + 7-wire)
5,000 lb capacity, 500 lb TW, 2" hitch receiver usually equates to a Class III (required brake controller + 7-wire)

So here's the punchline: Kia's OEM Telluride Hitch has a Class III 2" opening, with a Class II TW, but Kia recommends a max of this config less than the Class I capacity. Further the OEM wiring option also suggest they are delivering a Class I solution but advertising a Class III solution. They don't offer a way to safely and legally tow 5,000 lbs on the Telluride without waiting for aftermarket parts.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
So here's the punchline: Kia's OEM Telluride Hitch has a Class III 2" opening, with a Class II TW, but Kia recommends a max of this config less than the Class I capacity. Further the OEM wiring option also suggest they are delivering a Class I solution but advertising a Class III solution. They don't offer a way to safely and legally tow 5,000 lbs on the Telluride without waiting for aftermarket parts.
I understand what you are saying, but I will say that KIA is one of the worst companies I have came across in information and keeping the story straight. I personally think that the manual is a typo or they only posted the fwd model. But could be 100% wrong.

I really don't need 5,000 lbs. 3000 lbs will be more then enough for the mulch/lumber runs I plan. I just wish they would figure it out.

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying, but I will say that KIA is one of the worst companies I have came across in information and keeping the story straight. I personally think that the manual is a typo or they only posted the fwd model. But could be 100% wrong.

I really don't need 5,000 lbs. 3000 lbs will be more then enough for the mulch/lumber runs I plan. I just wish they would figure it out.
Me too. I really hope it's just a typo. I mostly have a need for a utility trailer, but I could do up to 3,500 lbs with my last vehicle (minivan properly equipped) and thought I was buying an upgrade with T-ride.

Penetronn

Reaction score
Yeah, it's no typo. Palisade has the same specs. And Sorento's do as well, though curiously, Canadian manuals states 500 lbs tongue weight for AWD models.

Penetronn

Reaction score
Some years the Canadian (and even the US) permitted a 500 lbs tongue weight. I think it was recently reduced again to 350 for the US.

Really? I'm pretty sure I saw the same 351 lbs in my manual. I'll double check later...