No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Speedometer questions.

Reyrey39

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Well I'm working on 12k miles and can say I haven't noticed this until today. Maybe it's new? The digital shows 78 but the actual speedometer says a tad over 80.I would read it as 81-82. I know the picture is awful quality, sorry. Should I call the dealer? Anyone else have this issue?

Original tires, nothing new. Highway driving.

Attachments

ksyrah

Reaction score
Well I'm working on 12k miles and can say I haven't noticed this until today. Maybe it's new? The digital shows 78 but the actual speedometer says a tad over 80.I would read it as 81-82. I know the picture is awful quality, sorry. Should I call the dealer? Anyone else have this issue?

I have a GPS app on my Iphone. I start it and let it sync with the satellites. As you are running down the road, it will give an accurate speed. You can then tell whether your digital or analog speedo (or both) are off.

Reyrey39

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I have a GPS app on my Iphone. I start it and let it sync with the satellites. As you are running down the road, it will give an accurate speed. You can then tell whether your digital or analog speedo (or both) are off.
Great idea! I'll try that tomorrow and report back.

Pete L

Reaction score
Hey, I've noticed the same issue. Just went on my first long trip where I could use cruise where it became very apparent I've got a 1.5-2.0 mile difference between the digital and analog speedometers. Did you determine which was off and have you done anything about it?

G

G-959652

Well I did do what was suggested with the GPS and I found the digital to be right and the other one off. I haven't called the dealer, I will bring it up next service. I just haven't had time. But I have been keeping a watch on it every highway drive and its consistently off. No worse no better.

Wee

Reaction score

Mine is doing the same thing and the HUD is also reading lower than the speedometer dial

Pmauro55

Reaction score
This is an easy fix, put a big happy face sticker over your analog speedometer.
Although you comment was funny as hell...... when you pay 35+ k for a vehicle and in some case almost 50 k I would expect it to be right especially if yo are like me and drive 8-9 mph over the limit hoping the PD won’t ticket unless your 10 over🤪

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

TheNip73

Reaction score
About a 3.5% error. Probably within limits.

higher speed = higher the variance in actual mph.

I wouldn’t bother the dealer over this, but that’s me. Probably do more harm than anything else trying to fix this “non-issue”.

Pete L

Reaction score
Hmm....yeah I think I'm in the camp that a new $40k car should have its analog speedometer calibrated correctly...especially if you're like me who still uses it as the primary speed gauge source. There's something inherently wrong/annoying about having to show 2 miles faster on the speedometer to be going the correct speed. Of course, and I don't know if you guys out there are having the same issue, but the dealer close to me (not the one about 30 min away where I bought the car) only has 1 "certified" Telluride mechanic on staff at the moment so it's like a 2 week wait to get it in for stuff like this.

Husker Soze

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm....yeah I think I'm in the camp that a new $40k car should have its analog speedometer calibrated correctly...especially if you're like me who still uses it as the primary speed gauge source. There's something inherently wrong/annoying about having to show 2 miles faster on the speedometer to be going the correct speed. Of course, and I don't know if you guys out there are having the same issue, but the dealer close to me (not the one about 30 min away where I bought the car) only has 1 "certified" Telluride mechanic on staff at the moment so it's like a 2 week wait to get it in for stuff like this.
Certified on what? ASE? KIA Telluride specialized training?

Wap52

Black Copper SXP AWD Dune Brown with Towing
Reaction score
Great idea! I'll try that tomorrow and report back.
if you have an iPhone download app WAZE. it is a traffic update updated by current drivers on your road. It has the MPH on it also. This app could save you a ticket if speeding as long as other drivers put input to the app. On my SX AWD the app and my speed are nearly exact

ucinn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
if you have an iPhone download app WAZE. it is a traffic update updated by current drivers on your road. It has the MPH on it also. This app could save you a ticket if speeding as long as other drivers put input to the app. On my SX AWD the app and my speed are nearly exact
I have android and always use Waze. Especially when in the Stinger?