No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Stock Michelin 20" tires - anyone replacing?

13_FST

Staff member
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
We get a fair bit of snow here and some roads our quite icy during winter months. This means that stock Michelin tires will be no good come winter.

Our last vehicle had Nokian WRG3 SUV All Weather Tires which were extremely good. Therefore, I'm thinking of switching tires from current Michelin to some sort of all weather tires.

Anyone else thinking of replacing stock tires?

cliffnerd5

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
It is an all season tire? I would at least give them a shot in the winter before trading out. A proper AWD system has always gotten me through with a good all season tire similar to the primacy a/s. Probably won't notice much of a difference without upgrading to a proper snow/winter tire.

cliffnerd5

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
While I agree. I was trying to say I wouldn't ditch the michelins. They are great tires and I wouldn't drive a winter tire during any warm months or you will just tear through them.

13_FST

Staff member
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
All-season tires suck in the snow.. I would get a set of winter wheels to run all-terrains on if I were you. Keep the OEM for the other seasons.
I'd probably end up selling the OEM and get all weather all-year round.

13_FST

Staff member
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
It is an all season tire? I would at least give them a shot in the winter before trading out. A proper AWD system has always gotten me through with a good all season tire similar to the primacy a/s. Probably won't notice much of a difference without upgrading to a proper snow/winter tire.
All weather tires are new breed of tires that have the 3-mountain snowflake symbol indicating that they're rated for severe weather. I've had experience with them in the past and can vouch that they perform well.

Negatives are: having to sell the current stock tires at a loss, and that all weather tires come with a fuel economy penalty.

I'm also not sure if the Michelin tires will be good in winter, though I wouldn't know for sure unless I drive them this winter.

Jdgate

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
On my Lexus IS350 I have a set of all seasons and a set of winter wheels/tires. On the wife’s old front wheel drive Saturn Vue we also had a set of winter wheels. With our Acadia Denali we never felt like we needed winter tires. I am huge proponent of winter wheels and tires, however I think I am going to to see how the first good Iowa winter storm goes and decide then if I want to invest in a set of winters.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Wap52

Black Copper SXP AWD Dune Brown with Towing
Reaction score
Guess being in Texas will don't have this problem.. If we are lucky we might see 4 inches of snow in the winter.

ucinn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The wife has michelin all seasons on the Sorento and those things were great in all weather situations. Even went through about 6 inches that th plw deposited at the end of our driveway without even a slip. Came up our icy hill with ease. I have the Nitto Motivo all season's on the Stinger and had no problems this winter at all. All Seasons with AWD I've never had any problems..so I will be confident with the Michelins that come on it.

13_FST

Staff member
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The wife has michelin all seasons on the Sorento and those things were great in all weather situations. Even went through about 6 inches that th plw deposited at the end of our driveway without even a slip. Came up our icy hill with ease. I have the Nitto Motivo all season's on the Stinger and had no problems this winter at all. All Seasons with AWD I've never had any problems..so I will be confident with the Michelins that come on it.
It's not the acceleration that is the problem, but rather braking. Thus the reason to get all weathers.

Buckeye-TRide

Staff member
Reaction score
The Primacy Tours are only fair in snow traction if consumer reports is to be believed. The Nokian’s you mentioned are rated great in that category. I’m in central Ohio and the have driven RWD sports sedans with all weathers without issue, but if I lived up in Michigan or Wisconsin I would own a dedicated winter set to swap when the weather gets bad and would have opted for AWD.

13_FST

Staff member
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The Primacy Tours are only fair in snow traction if consumer reports is to be believed. The Nokian’s you mentioned are rated great in that category. I’m in central Ohio and the have driven RWD sports sedans with all weathers without issue, but if I lived up in Michigan or Wisconsin I would own a dedicated winter set to swap when the weather gets bad and would have opted for AWD.
My other vehicle runs dedicated winters on its own separate rim and I don't have the space to place another winter tires for the Telluride.

I ran all weathers before in our old Sorento and they worked flawlessly. I'm leaning towards getting them and when I do, I'll keep the forums posted on how well they perform.

c.hanky

Reaction score
As an automotive tech I have driven every combo of driveline with every combo of tire. I can say that you cant beat a winter or all weather tire if you drive in snow and ice. Around -10C all season tires start to loss grip. Some provinces are making it law to run a winter rated tire during certain months of the year.

13_FST

Staff member
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I went ahead and replaced the stock Michelins with Nokian WRG4 SUV All-Weather tires.

I'm hoping they perform as well as the WRG3 SUV tires performed on our old Sorento.

Lou Panozzo

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
You should have no problems with the Michelin’s the first 2 winters. They will loose their grip at 40k miles. I would consider replacing when it’s getting close to winter after 40k miles

Bear

Reaction score
I had Nokian WRG3 SUV on my AWD Santa fe and was happy with them and very little wear at 65,000 km but a little noisy on dry roads. Checked air pressure every month. My dealer says I'm ok with the stock 20" Micheline All Season M+S. But I'm also concern the fact that these tires may not perform well below -10°C. Storing and Switching Wheels is very inconvenient. I would prefer to replace my Tires to Nokian All Weather SUV. Has anyone replaced their tires to All Weather Tires. Any issues handling ect. For Telluride SX
I live in British Columbia unpredictable weather in high elevations. I don't drive on the Cocahalla HWY also known as the Highway To Hell in the winters.

13_FST

Staff member
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I had Nokian WRG3 SUV on my AWD Santa fe and was happy with them and very little wear at 65,000 km but a little noisy on dry roads. Checked air pressure every month. My dealer says I'm ok with the stock 20" Micheline All Season M+S. But I'm also concern the fact that these tires may not perform well below -10°C. Storing and Switching Wheels is very inconvenient. I would prefer to replace my Tires to Nokian All Weather SUV. Has anyone replaced their tires to All Weather Tires. Any issues handling ect. For Telluride SX
I live in British Columbia unpredictable weather in high elevations. I don't drive on the Cocahalla HWY also known as the Highway To Hell in the winters.
I'm not sure if the stock Michelins 20" tires are any good in snow and in very cold temperatures. But they are amazing in every other conditions.

I have replaced mine with all weather tires. So far so good. No complaints at all. They are rated at 100K kms. I went with 235/55/20.

Bear

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the stock Michelins 20" tires are any good in snow and in very cold temperatures. But they are amazing in every other conditions.

I have replaced mine with all weather tires. So far so good. No complaints at all. They are rated at 100K kms. I went with 235/55/20.
Thanks for the info. What brand did you buy? Kal Tires in Kelowna BC has given me excellent service and no charge for rotations which I have done after every oil change. But they only carry Nokian brand All Weather.