Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Stock Michelin 20" tires - anyone replacing?

13_FST

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
We get a fair bit of snow here and some roads our quite icy during winter months. This means that stock Michelin tires will be no good come winter.

Our last vehicle had Nokian WRG3 SUV All Weather Tires which were extremely good. Therefore, I'm thinking of switching tires from current Michelin to some sort of all weather tires.

Anyone else thinking of replacing stock tires?

cliffnerd5

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
It is an all season tire? I would at least give them a shot in the winter before trading out. A proper AWD system has always gotten me through with a good all season tire similar to the primacy a/s. Probably won't notice much of a difference without upgrading to a proper snow/winter tire.

utmeep

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
All-season tires suck in the snow.. I would get a set of winter wheels to run all-terrains on if I were you. Keep the OEM for the other seasons.

cliffnerd5

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
While I agree. I was trying to say I wouldn't ditch the michelins. They are great tires and I wouldn't drive a winter tire during any warm months or you will just tear through them.

13_FST

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
It is an all season tire? I would at least give them a shot in the winter before trading out. A proper AWD system has always gotten me through with a good all season tire similar to the primacy a/s. Probably won't notice much of a difference without upgrading to a proper snow/winter tire.
All weather tires are new breed of tires that have the 3-mountain snowflake symbol indicating that they're rated for severe weather. I've had experience with them in the past and can vouch that they perform well.

Negatives are: having to sell the current stock tires at a loss, and that all weather tires come with a fuel economy penalty.

I'm also not sure if the Michelin tires will be good in winter, though I wouldn't know for sure unless I drive them this winter.

Jdgate

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
On my Lexus IS350 I have a set of all seasons and a set of winter wheels/tires. On the wife’s old front wheel drive Saturn Vue we also had a set of winter wheels. With our Acadia Denali we never felt like we needed winter tires. I am huge proponent of winter wheels and tires, however I think I am going to to see how the first good Iowa winter storm goes and decide then if I want to invest in a set of winters.

ucinn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The wife has michelin all seasons on the Sorento and those things were great in all weather situations. Even went through about 6 inches that th plw deposited at the end of our driveway without even a slip. Came up our icy hill with ease. I have the Nitto Motivo all season's on the Stinger and had no problems this winter at all. All Seasons with AWD I've never had any problems..so I will be confident with the Michelins that come on it.

13_FST

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The wife has michelin all seasons on the Sorento and those things were great in all weather situations. Even went through about 6 inches that th plw deposited at the end of our driveway without even a slip. Came up our icy hill with ease. I have the Nitto Motivo all season's on the Stinger and had no problems this winter at all. All Seasons with AWD I've never had any problems..so I will be confident with the Michelins that come on it.
It's not the acceleration that is the problem, but rather braking. Thus the reason to get all weathers.

Buckeye-TRide

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The Primacy Tours are only fair in snow traction if consumer reports is to be believed. The Nokian’s you mentioned are rated great in that category. I’m in central Ohio and the have driven RWD sports sedans with all weathers without issue, but if I lived up in Michigan or Wisconsin I would own a dedicated winter set to swap when the weather gets bad and would have opted for AWD.

13_FST

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The Primacy Tours are only fair in snow traction if consumer reports is to be believed. The Nokian’s you mentioned are rated great in that category. I’m in central Ohio and the have driven RWD sports sedans with all weathers without issue, but if I lived up in Michigan or Wisconsin I would own a dedicated winter set to swap when the weather gets bad and would have opted for AWD.
My other vehicle runs dedicated winters on its own separate rim and I don't have the space to place another winter tires for the Telluride.

I ran all weathers before in our old Sorento and they worked flawlessly. I'm leaning towards getting them and when I do, I'll keep the forums posted on how well they perform.