No soliciting permitted.

synthetic oil

DRK

Reaction score
I had the first oil change done with full synthetic the other day. Paid $30 more with a free oil change coupon.

RJ TX

Reaction score
Thanks, As someone who generally keeps vehicles for 150K+ miles, I have always been a fan in all of my vehicle of full synthetic from the start. Never sure if that's overkill or not??

JCzoom

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Did my wife's Telly's first oil change at 5K with Mobile One. Will do every 7500 from now on. I have done the same with my 2012 Tacoma since new. 165K on it now.

David Blakewood

Reaction score
if your in a cold climate area you need Synthetic for sure and if your extending the mileage between changes you should use synthetic oil - but like me I am retired and will put a blended oil in every 6 months - should have around 4k miles or less at that time-

TheNip73

Reaction score
if your in a cold climate area you need Synthetic for sure and if your extending the mileage between changes you should use synthetic oil - but like me I am retired and will put a blended oil in every 6 months - should have around 4k miles or less at that time-
Given direct injection, highly recommend synthetic to minimize vaporization of oil which can then coat the back side of the intake valves and turn into carbon deposits, limiting the ability for oxygen to get into the engine / ruining efficiency and/or leading to check engine light!

Oil is not just about wear these days.

leninator

2021 SX-P NE Dune
Reaction score
I checked with my dealer's service manager and was told they use nothing but full synthetic oil. Why would anyone change? They agreed that for full synthetic the oil change interval is too short (should be 10,000 miles) but will bring it to them as long as the warranty is in effect.

YAH DEF

Reaction score
I checked with my dealer's service manager and was told they use nothing but full synthetic oil. Why would anyone change? They agreed that for full synthetic the oil change interval is too short (should be 10,000 miles) but will bring it to them as long as the warranty is in effect.
The owner's manual says synthetic.

leninator

2021 SX-P NE Dune
Reaction score
Just referring to Mr Blakewood using a blended oil every 6000 miles. I would use nothing but synthetic in anything myself.

BasilFawlty

Reaction score
I use one oil: Mobile 1 full synthetic. I just got rid of a 14 year old Hyundai Santa Fe that I used Mobile one on religiously for every oil change - When I finally got rid of it she had over 317k miles and was still going good and burning no oil. Only problem was a timing chain guide that wore out and was too much (for me) to repair, so I gave the car to charity and bought the Telly!

PassingTime

Reaction score
I just got an email coupon for full synthetic oil and filter change from my dealer so they obviously think that is the way to go. Too bad I am not ready for it. Less than 1500 miles since I brought it home new in late Oct. Kind of stuck not driving much with pandemic and all.😷 ☹️ :poop: I have used full synthetic in my cars for the past several years and believe that is the only way to go. I do not change mileage recommendations from OM unless there are specific reasons, i.e. towing. If I have towed during the service period I will change early.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

BasilFawlty

Reaction score
I just got an email coupon for full synthetic oil and filter change from my dealer so they obviously think that is the way to go. Too bad I am not ready for it. Less than 1500 miles since I brought it home new in late Oct. Kind of stuck not driving much with pandemic and all.😷 ☹️ :poop: I have used full synthetic in my cars for the past several years and believe that is the only way to go. I do not change mileage recommendations from OM unless there are specific reasons, i.e. towing. If I have towed during the service period I will change early.
I do my own oil changes. It's pretty easy on the telly and I don't even have to lift the car at all. The only slight pain is that yiu have to remove a panel from under the engine (8 screws) to access the filter.

Wee

Reaction score
You need to get a few tools to do the job but it's very easy on a Telluride, just need to make sure you have the correct socket for the filter cover.
$10-15 filter
$40-50 for two 5Q containers of Penzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum (Walmart or Amazon) Ultra goes on sale often for $2-25
Less than 1hr of your time and you're done every 10,000 miles

PassingTime

Reaction score
You need to get a few tools to do the job but it's very easy on a Telluride, just need to make sure you have the correct socket for the filter cover.
$10-15 filter
$40-50 for two 5Q containers of Penzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum (Walmart or Amazon) Ultra goes on sale often for $2-25
Thanks for the info. I have a long way to go before I get my first one from the dealer and it is free. After that I will reassess if I will do them myself or to my local mechanic who has been doing full synthetic with filter changes on my previous car for $70 with up to 6 quarts. At those prices it is really not worth doing my own. I don't need to worry about disposing of the oil or even getting my hands dirty. Until a few years ago I always changed my own oil but it is becoming increasingly difficult and at this point of my life I don't really want to break out the tools again or crawl up under a car. With my knees I might not be able to get back up again without help :confused: .

Last edited:

Husker Soze

Staff member
Reaction score
$10-15 filter

I highly suggest following the recommended service intervals on your owners manual.

mxz700skidoo

Reaction score
Only cost a dollar more to go first class. AMSOIL, First in synthetic and 25,000 mile change, just a filter every 12,500.Every motor I have is Amsoil and been using since 1976.

qwikhit

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Ain’t no way I’m letting a filter go 12K miles and 25K on oil. Just my opinion

ernysan

Reaction score
Only cost a dollar more to go first class. AMSOIL, First in synthetic and 25,000 mile change, just a filter every 12,500.Every motor I have is Amsoil and been using since 1976.
AMSOIL user here But never let the oil for more than 5k miles High grade oil and short interval miles is a good combination!!!!!!!