No soliciting permitted.

synthetic oil

PaulD

Reaction score
I'll just add a few thoughts based on experience. In summary, going with the factory specced oil is a great idea and you can't really go wrong with a name brand that meets those specs. Personally, I'll stick with synthetic from Mobil 1, Castrol, etc. For most modern cars, oil that meets the factory spec will be synthetic anyway. However, here's a few experiences I've had.

- I had a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT with the 2.5 turbo (similar to the STI engine). Initially, I went with the 7500 mile change interval listed in the owner's manual. At about 20K miles, the car threw an error code and it turned out to be the variable valve timing mechanism was clogged with oil sludge. I had been using synthetic oil but it still sludged up. Subaru said I should use the "severe duty" interval which is 3750 miles. According to Subaru, severe duty is either extreme cold, extreme heat, close proximity to the ocean or severe dust. Where I live has none of that so it seems that Subaru pushed their intervals too much for whatever reason.

- I currently drive a 2016 VW Golf R. The factory states a 10K mile interval. A friend owns a very good independent repair shop who specializes in high end German cars. His recommendation, based on seeing plenty of higher mileage cars, is to change the oil at 5000.

- (left field) I also have a 1986 Porsche 911 3.2. When I first got it, I used Mobil 1 15W-50 and repaired many oil leaks on the car. There were a few I couldn't quite get to without pulling the engine out. At a certain point, based on recommendations from the above friend and others, I changed to a different oil (Brad Pen 20W-50 partial synthetic). The remaining oil leaks were reduced by 90%.

My point here is that you should definitely start with the factory recommendations, and definitely don't veer from the oil spec on a new car. On the other hand, the change intervals they give might need more consideration.

mxz700skidoo

Reaction score
Thanks for your input, my first use of Amsoil was in 1976,a 1975 2 cycle RD 350 Yamaha, still have it. 1970 Chevelle SS Big Block, bought in 1975 I was a senior in high school, still have that. Many other motors with Amsoil but I believe the true testament is my Cub Cadet 15 horse single cylinder air cooled, mowed 23 seasons two acres oil change every five years just change the filter yearly. Also has the original spark plug. I understand seems like no one believes but I can't change that. Just is what I do. In fact my first Cub was in 1989 and know the dealer personally, he was always a skeptic of Amsoil then low and behold he not only started using it he became a dealer! He just sold his business a couple years ago after being in the family for decades. Thanks to all and may oil not drip into your eyes.

JerseySXP

Reaction score

mxz700skidoo

Reaction score
What interval are you going to use on the Telluride? I was thinking 7,500. Thoughts?
Well that is not yet determined. I am using Telluride as a second ride. It is hard not to use as a daily but figure to have it for twenty years. I will keep it from rain and snow the best as possible. I will at this point change at 2500 miles as my break in. Then every year depending on use. But I will go for sure past 7,500. It is important to change the filter at what ever the halfway point of your extended interval. The Telluride will get 5W 30W as per Amsoil info I got. My 2001 Silverado bought Aug. 1 2000 has had 0W 30W since 2,500 miles. And I use there top of the line Signature Series. Amsoil Tec line if interested is 715-399-8324 or tech@AMSOIL.com I am not a dealer just a long time user. Since 1976. Best two cycle oil. 100:1 premix and lots of injector oil. Thank you and good luck with what ever you use. I sure do love My Telly, as you can imagine after driving 2001 Silverado two wheel for last twenty plus years. It still does ride nice but getting rust rear wheel wells and rockers. Debating if to repair not sure yet.

Senator20

Reaction score
Well that is not yet determined. I am using Telluride as a second ride. It is hard not to use as a daily but figure to have it for twenty years. I will keep it from rain and snow the best as possible. I will at this point change at 2500 miles as my break in. Then every year depending on use. But I will go for sure past 7,500. It is important to change the filter at what ever the halfway point of your extended interval. The Telluride will get 5W 30W as per Amsoil info I got. My 2001 Silverado bought Aug. 1 2000 has had 0W 30W since 2,500 miles. And I use there top of the line Signature Series. Amsoil Tec line if interested is 715-399-8324 or tech@AMSOIL.com I am not a dealer just a long time user. Since 1976. Best two cycle oil. 100:1 premix and lots of injector oil. Thank you and good luck with what ever you use. I sure do love My Telly, as you can imagine after driving 2001 Silverado two wheel for last twenty plus years. It still does ride nice but getting rust rear wheel wells and rockers. Debating if to repair not sure yet.
In another thread you said you were going 25k between oil changes.

mxz700skidoo

Reaction score
Yes I did, but may take awhile to get there. As it is my second ride, have always gone 25,000 and further with 2001 Silverado. So depends on the use of the Telluride. Glad for your attention and I have a 1970 Chevelle SS that hasn't been started in many years and would not hesitate to fire it up at any time, 10 quarts of 15W 40W Amsoil marine in it. A fourty thousand dollar big block! No fear.

mxz700skidoo

Reaction score
To all concerned about oil changes. I have spoken how I do it and now you can make your own choice. Thanks and have a great time with your new Telluride.

Husker Soze

Staff member
Reaction score

giphy.gif

mxz700skidoo

Reaction score
Very good article for the slow to read, Goggle ,The history of synthetic oil by John Baker. Then eat your skepticism. Or maybe with your fear of lube you should strap a fifty gallon drum to the roof and feed a constant I.V. to the motor.

Cameron

Reaction score
I cannot stress this enough, do, at a minimum, what your manual suggests if you want to keep your car running for the long term. There may be one-offs, but KIA or any other manufacturer have many 6-figure paycheck engineers who’s sole purpose it is to design and build these machines and prescribe the means to maintain them. Again, it’s your vehicle, your journey but I’m not going chance it when an oil chance costs $60ish dollars, a half hour of my time and a few beers.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

JerseySXP

Reaction score
I cannot stress this enough, do, at a minimum, what your manual suggests if you want to keep your car running for the long term. There may be one-offs, but KIA or any other manufacturer have many 6-figure paycheck engineers who’s sole purpose it is to design and build these machines and prescribe the means to maintain them. Again, it’s your vehicle, your journey but I’m not going chance it when an oil chance costs $60ish dollars, a half hour of my time and a few beers.
The same engineers who won't allow a mechanic to use a Picoscope to diagnose my vehicle vibration. 🤣

Sure. Follow the manual when warranted. Oil change intervals are highly subjective based on experience, products used, etc. Just look how long this thread is getting...

I've used Amsoil in my previous vehicles and did changes at 10k miles. Not even joking but the oil came out looking fresh.

However this is my first Kia...and I'm thinking 7,500 might be a better fit. If I do my first change and it's filthy then I go to 5k...and so on.

Husker Soze

Staff member
Reaction score
The same engineers who won't allow a mechanic to use a Picoscope to diagnose my vehicle vibration. 🤣

Sure. Follow the manual when warranted. Oil change intervals are highly subjective based on experience, products used, etc. Just look how long this thread is getting...

I've used Amsoil in my previous vehicles and did changes at 10k miles. Not even joking but the oil came out looking fresh.

However this is my first Kia...and I'm thinking 7,500 might be a better fit. If I do my first change and it's filthy then I go to 5k...and so on.
I highly doubt it...but your hyperbole is noted.

JerseySXP

Reaction score
I highly doubt it...but your hyperbole is noted.
I worked at an express oil change place in HS. I've seen my fair share of sludge...

Relatively speaking compared to the crap that I've witnessed the Amsoil is indeed "fresh" when changed.

I use it in my lawn equipment as well. Same deal. Comes out looking great. Gotta see it to believe it...

Husker Soze

Staff member
Reaction score
I worked at an express oil change place in HS. I've seen my fair share of sludge...

Relatively speaking compared to the crap that I've witnessed the Amsoil is indeed "fresh" when changed.

I use it in my lawn equipment as well. Same deal. Comes out looking great. Gotta see it to believe it...

I'm not talking/questioning the “goodness” of Amsoil. I'm pretty sure its a great product.

The hyperbole I was talking about was the engineer comment....I highly the doubt those Lambda engineers are the ones that told the dealership/service dept not to use a scope for your vibration issue.

The point I'm trying to convey (as well as other folks here), is while the KT is under warranty, it is highly recommended that KT owners follow the service intervals set by the manufacturer to avoid any potential issue should there be an engine failure. Now it's up to owners to follow that or not.

gman1868

The name is... Dumas.
Reaction score
What interval are you going to use on the Telluride? I was thinking 7,500. Thoughts?
Every 6 months or 6000 miles, unless the car is subjected to "severe" duty then I change it before and after.

mxz700skidoo

Reaction score
At 60 dollars I will only be able to put slightly over four quarts in without a filter change. Telluride holds just short of seven quarts. And remember me, I will be driving the Telly long term. And I agree with the great engineers and that is what makes me wonder why all the after market parts people need? And have you researched where the Kia engineers came from? That is one reason I chose Kia. Thanks