No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Telluride 5,000lbs Has Additional Towing Requirments

ervolino

Reaction score
I've noticed that there appears to be some inquiries about potential discrepancies to tow 5000lbs with a Telluride.

The Telluride is rated to tow 5,000lbs, because of it's power train abilities. This does not mean with either the Tow Hitch accessory or the Tow Hitch w/ Auto-leveling package avaliable on the EX and SX you can simply hook-up a 5,000lbs trailer/load and drive off safely.

Here's what I mean;
Customers are purchasing their Telluride's with the understanding they can immediately tow the maximum capacity because that's how it is being advertised. There are additional required equipment in order to tow this. First, each state has laws in regards to pulling a trailer.
For example;
I live in Iowa, and our Iowa Code per https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/ is as follows.

"Every trailer of a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of 3,000 lbs. must be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and hold the vehicle, and so designed as to be applied by the driver of the towing motor vehicle from its cab, or with self-actuating brakes, and a weight-equalizing hitch with a sway control. Every trailer of a GVW of 3,000 lbs. or more must be equipped with a separate, auxiliary means of applying the brakes on the trailer from the cab of the towing vehicle."

With this being said, in my state, if you are towing more then 3,000lbs you must have an electronic brake controller in the vehicle. Even if you have a self-actuating braking system and not an electronic one, you still must be equip with a separate means of applying the trailer brakes from within the cab of the Telluride. Again, this is the law in the State of Iowa.

Adding this hardware is common in MANY vehicles that are capable of towing capacities that exceed certain requirements by your state. In my personal opinion, this is not something Kia is refraining from disclosing, but something that as a corporation they are simply disclosing the towing capacity of their vehicle.

Also, the tow hitch on the Telluride is in fact a 4-pin. Some states require that to be 7-pin, etc. Here are two illustrations to give you an idea of harness requirements and options depending on what it is you're towing.

Also, here are some optional ways to achieve the proper harness adapter you would need;

References;
State Trailer Brake requirements; https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/
Trailer pin and harness breakdown; The Ins and Outs of Vehicle and Trailer Wiring

Michelw

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
What about the limited 351 lbs tongue weight of the Telluride ? All other competitors (Atlas, Ascent, Pilot) have a max tongue weight of 500 lbs which is equivalent to 10% of the towing capacity.

Most trailers/RV that weight close to 5000 lbs have a tongue weight close to 500 lbs. You won't be able to tow these trailers/RV with the Telluride ?

stbentoak

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
While this is a well written post, it still alludes to the fact that by adding a separate interface adapter you are good to go...

The fact of the matter is without additional wiring, splicing and etc, to actually ACTUATE the brakes, and the installation of a working controller... you might as well leave the Telly at home and use the old Pickup that has been set up properly from the factory....

This is a huge oversight by KIA... 10.00 of wire and a pigtail under the dash, along with a true 7 pin connector fix this easily and eliminate the multiple threads and potential owner frustration on this topic....

Vietvet

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Have been wondering that when I take possession of my Telly... I can have a 7 installed without loss of warranty.

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
What about the limited 351 lbs tongue weight of the Telluride ? All other competitors (Atlas, Ascent, Pilot) have a max tongue weight of 500 lbs which is equivalent to 10% of the towing capacity.

Most trailers/RV that weight close to 5000 lbs have a tongue weight close to 500 lbs. You won't be able to tow these trailers/RV with the Telluride ?
I agree. The problem is less about the OEM parts or the 5,000 number. The limit is really the 351lb tongue weight. Unless you are pulling a small utility trailer, boat, or jet ski trailer, you have to really watch the tongue weight as compared to the hitch weight. For example a pop up tent trailer that sleeps 4 might be less than 351, but there are very few travel trailers that fall under 351 hitch weight.

Last edited:

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I agree. The problem is less about the OEM parts or the 5,000 number. The limit is really the 351lb tongue weight. Unless you are pulling a small utility trailer, boat, or jet ski trailer, you have to really watch the tongue weight as compared to the hitch weight. For example a pop up tent trailer that sleeps 4 might be less than 351, but there are very few travel trailers that fall under 381 hitch weight.
For more detail on my line of thinking, if the Gross Trailer Weight is 5,000 lbs that means that with a max tongue weight of 351 lbs you are at 7.02% of GTW. Most safety recommendations suggest you should be at 10-15% and may be able to adjust some by redistributing load. To get to 10% then tongue weight should be 500.

Last edited:

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I smell a possible lawsuit over this. There is not much from this and buying a laptop that "can play all video games." *

*If you buy an additional video card and portable bus system. Oh you also need to rip open your laptop, solder in a lighting connector, and then hook up the video card. It is only a few bucks, but the CPU and memory can support most video games.

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Have been wondering that when I take possession of my Telly... I can have a 7 installed without loss of warranty.

answers is no, but get a warranty from the person that is doing the upgrade.

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
For more detail on my line of thinking, if the Gross Trailer Weight is 5,000 lbs that means that with a max tongue weight of 381 lbs you are at 7.62% of GTW. Most safety recommendations suggest you should be at 10-15% and may be able to adjust some by redistributing load. To get to 10% then tongue weight should be 500.
I just found this article explaining the Sorento and Kia’s line of thinking. Tongue Weight Capacity for 2019 Kia Sorento | etrailer.com
I think that is implying that the max tongue weight in the Telluride with the factory 2” hitch receiver is 351lbs. But if you get an aftermarket that is rated for 500lbs then you are fine to tow up to 5,000lbs. Can someone verify if they agree with my assessment? If that’s the case then I can buy an aftermarket tow hitch and add few hundred bucks more for the 4-wire harness, a 7 wire and a brake controller and I would be safe to tow up to 5,000 lbs.

Last edited:

Michelw

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I just found this article explaining the Sorento and Kia’s line of thinking. Tongue Weight Capacity for 2019 Kia Sorento | etrailer.com
I think that is implying that the max tongue weight in the Telluride with the factory 2” hitch receiver is 381lbs. But if you get an aftermarket that is rated for 500lbs then you are fine to tow up to 5,000lbs. Can someone verify if they agree with my assessment? If that’s the case then I can buy an aftermarket tow hitch and add few hundred bucks more for the 4-wire harness, a 7 wire and a brake controller and I would be safe to tow up to 5,000 lbs.
The max tongue weight for the Telluride is 351 lbs, not 381 lbs. Check the user manual. The max tongue weight for the Sorrento V6 is 500 lbs.

This makes no sense.

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
My mistake, I should have put 351 not 381. But that's not my point. According to etrailer.com they described how Kia posts their manufacturer recommendations for the Sorrento. Using the same logic, it suggests that the advertised 351 lb max tongue weight is a limitation of the factory 2" tow hitch option not the vehicle, the 5,000 max trailer weight is what the powertrain can pull. That explains to me why the OEM option only includes the 4-wire harness, because the hitch they are selling can't really do more than 3,000 which is what would require a brake controller and 7-pin wiring. So if this is true, and you want to tow more than 3,000 lbs safely, according to spec you should NOT use the factory tow hitch. Rather you should wait for an aftermarket tow hitch (ex. Curt, Hidden Hitch, Draw-Tite or Reese) made for the Telluride that is rated for a 500 lb tongue weight and then get a brake controller and 4+7-pin harness added. If this is the case I would feel really ticked if I ordered the tow hitch option from Kia with my Telluride and found out that it wasn't what I needed for 5,000 lb. and if I had one on order or placed an order that included towing, I would suggest specifically putting a 500 lbs tongue weight request in writing so that the aftermarket option could be included or the manufacturer would address this specifically.

Last edited:

Vietvet

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I give up
o_O

Now that I am completely confused.... it sounds to me that towing a boat is out...and the only thin I can hook to my OEM hitch is my Rascal Scooter...WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT!!!!! 4 pin, 7 pin, 381 lbs, 500lbs., Brake adaptor, and to add to that...the Smaller Sorento seems to not have an issue with the 500 LB tongue weight... This all reeks of 3 day old fish or in-laws who overstayed their visit.
:confused:

IS THERE AN ACTUAL EXPERT, ON THE TOWING PACKAGE, FROM KIA IN HERE THAT CAN SIMPLY EXPLAIN ALL OF THIS??? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?!!!!

stbentoak

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Honestly, I think I’m going to wait till JEEP comes out with the 2020 Grand Waggoneer....It isn’t about the money, it’s about getting every thing I am potentially going to need for the next 5-7 years...That vehicle will have every feature the Telly has and will be 3 row and fully capable in EVERY aspect. Just my opinion only....

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I give up
o_O

Now that I am completely confused.... it sounds to me that towing a boat is out...and the only thin I can hook to my OEM hitch is my Rascal Scooter...WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT!!!!! 4 pin, 7 pin, 381 lbs, 500lbs., Brake adaptor, and to add to that...the Smaller Sorento seems to not have an issue with the 500 LB tongue weight... This all reeks of 3 day old fish or in-laws who overstayed their visit.
:confused:

IS THERE AN ACTUAL EXPERT, ON THE TOWING PACKAGE, FROM KIA IN HERE THAT CAN SIMPLY EXPLAIN ALL OF THIS??? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?!!!!
I posted the question to the user that says they are from Kia here: New Member Intro (Telluride Product Planner answering product-related questions)

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

ucinn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Honestly, I think I’m going to wait till JEEP comes out with the 2020 Grand Waggoneer....It isn’t about the money, it’s about getting every thing I am potentially going to need for the next 5-7 years...That vehicle will have every feature the Telly has and will be 3 row and fully capable in EVERY aspect. Just my opinion only....
But it will also have the reliability of a Jeep.

Dandy

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The other thing to consider is that from what I have read, the Grand Wagoneer is going to be on a Full Size SUV, it will not be a mid-size. Sized to compete with the Yukon/Tahoe, Escalade, Navigator...
If you are willing to go into a full-size SUV, the Navigator would be a great option for you.

Here are a couple articles on the Grand Wagoneer

Here is an article that believes they have a modified ram to test the charicteristics of the future Grand Wagoneer

stbentoak

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The other thing to consider is that from what I have read, the Grand Wagoneer is going to be on a Full Size SUV, it will not be a mid-size. Sized to compete with the Yukon/Tahoe, Escalade, Navigator...
If you are willing to go into a full-size SUV, the Navigator would be a great option for you.

Here are a couple articles on the Grand Wagoneer

Here is an article that believes they have a modified ram to test the charicteristics of the future Grand Wagoneer
Well I've heard the Telly being compared to the Yukon/Tahoe platform many times also..... The main reason for me is getting another Diesel (like I have in my GC now...) it is unmatched in torque, towing, and fuel economy and range.... It's hard to turn down 600+ mile range at 30MPG in a full size proven 4WD capability 7500 # towing vehicle....Initially I was very enchanted by the Telly and I still think it is a superb value for the money. But after looking at the way we use our vehicle and the fact that I keep them 5-7 years, I'm just not sure of its legs for the long run. After looking at a couple of them at a local dealer, initially it looked great, but upon closer inspection, you can kinda tell that many things on it are not "Robust" and are kind of generic and cheaply made carryovers from other KIA vehicles. I'm not knocking it in any way, just saying that they have come up with an intelligent way to put parts together in a package that is a great value...but not something of great "Substance".... When you have owned other "Luxury" vehicles ( and I have had Acura's and Jaguars...) you can just spot things that are put together "Inexpensively"
My JEEP has had its share of issues, but no real showstoppers and FCA has the best extended warranty in the Business. Well worth the peace of mind for as long as you own it.... We'll just have to see what comes out next spring from FCA.....

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Well I've heard the Telly being compared to the Yukon/Tahoe platform many times also..... The main reason for me is getting another Diesel (like I have in my GC now...) it is unmatched in torque, towing, and fuel economy and range.... It's hard to turn down 600+ mile range at 30MPG in a full size proven 4WD capability 7500 # towing vehicle....Initially I was very enchanted by the Telly and I still think it is a superb value for the money. But after looking at the way we use our vehicle and the fact that I keep them 5-7 years, I'm just not sure of its legs for the long run. After looking at a couple of them at a local dealer, initially it looked great, but upon closer inspection, you can kinda tell that many things on it are not "Robust" and are kind of generic and cheaply made carryovers from other KIA vehicles. I'm not knocking it in any way, just saying that they have come up with an intelligent way to put parts together in a package that is a great value...but not something of great "Substance".... When you have owned other "Luxury" vehicles ( and I have had Acura's and Jaguars...) you can just spot things that are put together "Inexpensively"
My JEEP has had its share of issues, but no real showstoppers and FCA has the best extended warranty in the Business. Well worth the peace of mind for as long as you own it.... We'll just have to see what comes out next spring from FCA.....
I don’t think we are comparing apples to apples. The Telluride is a midsize SUV. If Kia comes out with the Masterpiece (concept) for the US, I think that compares to a Grand Wagoneer or a Yukon/Tahoe. A diesel is a different type of vehicle as well. The power might be there but fuel costs and maintenance have different considerations over a gas powered engine. Having owned a Jeep in the past I’m a big fan, but owning a Jeep is never cheap. There are also rumors of Kia coming out with more engine options, a turbo might help with power and towing but a hybrid likely won’t.

Having a Hyundai sedan as my other vehicle I’m pleased with the Atkinson cycle engine that Hyundai/Kia has as I find it a good blend of fuel economy and enough power. But if you look at all the cars that have a similar Atkinson cycle engines you might notice that the Telluride is the largest among them. The roster is mainly hybrids, minivans and sedans geared toward some power with consideration to fuel economy.

If Hyundai/Kia does enter the US large truck/SUV market, I doubt we will see the same engine on those vehicles. It would not surprise me if a Diesel Telluride was in consideration. They already sell a Sorento diesel in Europe. And Kia and Hyundai have a diesel background having made military trucks and heavy construction equipment. But, I’m sure like other manufacturers were looking to add diesel to their US lineup, they reconsidered after the bad publicity that the VW group created with dieselgate.

Last edited: