No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Telluride AWD SX GVWR?

titi

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a SX AWD (8 passenger version I hope...) for my business and take advantage of IRS's Section 179 6000-pound GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Ratio) one time deduction. On Kia's Telluride specs page, the EX AWD 8-passenger is rated at 5,917 lb. GVWR. The SX AWD 7-passenger shows 5,736 lb. which is a bit surprising. I would think the two second row captain chairs would weight more than a 3-pers bench seat and with the added second sunroof on the SX the GVWR should be right around 6,000 lb? Technially, the IRS goes by the GVWR label on the driver's door. I'd be curious to know what the label actually says compared to Kia's posted specs.

Dandy

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I doubt it will make it. I am in the same situation. I would prefer a vehicle with a 6001+ GVWR but it seems that in this class, that isn't much more. My current Flex is 6250. The Subaru Ascent is 6000 so it is 1 pound shy of qualification. Hopefully my comment will bump this up and someone can comment with the GVWR on the door panel. I have read that if it is indeed over 6000 pounds, the vehicle classification changes within the government causing the manufactures some additional issues. If this is true it would explain why car companies that have trucks will have other types of vehicles over 6000 lb GVWR as they are already accustomed to the other hoops they must jump through.

By the way, I don't believe there will be (at least 1st year) SX with 8 passenger configuration. For some reason, many of the manufacturers in this segment are not having a 2nd row bench in their top tier options.

Last edited:
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

titi

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Good thoughts. I am actually interested to learn how the Section 179 tax write off works. Do you just tell your accountant you acquired an over 6,000lbs vehicle for the company? Does the IRS require some paperwork to confirm that the vehicle is over 6,000lbs?

Dandy

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Good thoughts. I am actually interested to learn how the Section 179 tax write off works. Do you just tell your accountant you acquired an over 6,000lbs vehicle for the company? Does the IRS require some paperwork to confirm that the vehicle is over 6,000lbs?
I am not an accountant. This is a source I found. Not sure how accurate it is to current tax law, but it coincides with what my account has said. My last few company vehicles my accountant had me email him a copy of the plate/sticker in to door jam that states the GVWR with the VIN and such.

70camguy

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a SX AWD (8 passenger version I hope...) for my business and take advantage of IRS's Section 179 6000-pound GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Ratio) one time deduction. On Kia's Telluride specs page, the EX AWD 8-passenger is rated at 5,917 lb. GVWR. The SX AWD 7-passenger shows 5,736 lb. which is a bit surprising. I would think the two second row captain chairs would weight more than a 3-pers bench seat and with the added second sunroof on the SX the GVWR should be right around 6,000 lb? Technially, the IRS goes by the GVWR label on the driver's door. I'd be curious to know what the label actually says compared to Kia's posted specs.
My SX-P AWD w/ Tow Package has a GVWR of 5917 Lbs on the Door... I did notice that Kia's Site says 5736... Wondering if the Tow Package makes the difference??

Average Joe

Reaction score
So, the SX with 2nd row bench seat should exceed the 6000 gross vehicle weight ratio ((GVWR) due to the weight of the additional passenger, correct? If so, why can’t it be ordered that way?

G

G-192817

can you get over the 6000 lbs with a dealer installed bike rack or the special/large wheels, and a real spare in the trunk? and is the sister SUV Palisade lighter or heavier?

Dandy

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
can you get over the 6000 lbs with a dealer installed bike rack or the special/large wheels, and a real spare in the trunk? and is the sister SUV Palisade lighter or heavier?
NO - the GVWR is based upon what is on the door sticker from the factory. There are no dealer/aftermarket components that can increase the rating. Even if you realistically could make a modification to increase the actual GVWR, that does not change what it is rated for by the factory and that is what the IRS uses for their deduction basis. IIRC, the Fed does not allow for a straight up front deduction as they will at 6001+ GVWR, but the purchase is put on a deduction schedule (I believe 5 years). With 6001+ you can take $25K up front and the balance would be on a schedule. On my 2015 Flex, because not all packages are rated at 6001+, our CPA had me send him a photo of the door card with the VIN and GVWR for verification that my vehicle indeed does qualify.

So, long story short, if the FACTORY GVWR decal is 6000 or less, it WILL NOT qualify for the $25K deduction.