No soliciting permitted.

Telluride S Headlight Upgrade?

KJLive

Reaction score
Thoughts? I started this post at the end of 2019. I upgraded my headlamps and have been very happy! This morning while I was driving to work at 3:45AM, I started getting the alarm and visual on my dash to check the driver side headlamp. I stopped for gas and the headlamps are illuminating and look fine to me. Any opinions? Next steps I should consider?

2020Telly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
If the LED retrofit bulbs you purchased advertised “CANbus ready” then maybe there is a resistor going bad. Find some time to put in a halogen for a few minutes and let the Telluride measure the proper resistance to clear the error then put back in the LED. If the error returns then the little black box on your LED wire might be going bad. The CANbus network error is expecting the resistance from a Halogen bulb.

You can buy a new resistor for about $10 a pair and try to fix it, get new LEDs if they weren’t expensive, buy more expensive LEDs with better parts, or just live with the error code knowing you headlights work and put in halogens to pass your state inspection.

Last edited:

KJLive

Reaction score
If the LED retrofit bulbs you purchased advertised “CANbus ready” then maybe there is a resistor going bad. Find some time to put in a halogen for a few minutes and let the Telluride measure the proper resistance to clear the error then put back in the LED. If the error returns then the little black box on your LED wire might be going bad. The CANbus network error is expecting the resistance from a Halogen bulb.
Wow! Thank you. I would have been clueless on this one. I will check the specs on the bulb and give it a try.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

KJLive

Reaction score
Wow! Thank you. I would have been clueless on this one. I will check the specs on the bulb and give it a try.
Another question….the alarm will drive me crazy, so I will need to repair/replace it. Where do you purchase a resistor? Or…should I just replace the bulbs? I am using Auxito 9005/HB. There seems to be a lot of different opinions on the type of bulb to use. These seemed to work OK.

KJLive

Reaction score
Another question….the alarm will drive me crazy, so I will need to repair/replace it. Where do you purchase a resistor? Or…should I just replace the bulbs? I am using Auxito 9005/HB. There seems to be a lot of different opinions on the type of bulb to use. These seemed to work OK.

2020Telly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Before you go through the effort of adding/replacing a resistor you probably want to make sure that's the problem. If I were you I would just put in some cheap halogens (or the originals) let it reset, then put the Auxitos back in and see if that trick works to clear the problem. I haven't tried the Auxitos but I do think it's nice that they have an ultra thin board. The width of the board was one of my worries for eliminating dark spots. If you want to try a resistor, just google led headlight bulb resistors, but then you have to probably look on YouTube to make sure you wire them up correctly. You could also email Auxito and see what they suggest.

So here's the concern I see if I were you, if you keep buying $50 pairs of bulbs every time something goes wrong, why not buy a better set of LED retrofit bulbs? Diode, LasFit, Twelvolt all make a few options in the $130 range that aren't as cheap as the Amazon options but could provide more quality components, or you could go to HID. At the end of the day if you keep spending $50 every couple years, you may want to consider super bright white halogen 9005 bulbs for $30 and you are close to guaranteed to not get any false CANbus error codes. The Philips CrystalVision ultra bright white light bulbs are pretty bright halogen bulbs for under $30. This should also keep you 100% legal in all states and prevents the possibility of a citation. Lots of people claim that LED retrofit bulbs in projector housings are not legal. I would argue that most states' DOT specify Intensity, Brightness and Color, not bulb type. If you have LED retrofit bulbs that put off a white light that provides better visibility without blinding someone, there's nothing illegal that would warrant a citation.

I bought the Twelvolts when they were $100. The support from the shop is great and they come with a warranty. I'm personally a fan of the wedge design rather than the blade to avoid dark spots altogether and I think their bulbs are just bright enough to provide better visibility without glare for me and without blinding oncoming traffic. The way a projector housing with a 9005 bulb for low and high beams works is that the bulb shines up to a mirror and then reflects out with a shutter blocking some light for the low beam, then when you turn on high beams the shutter moves to allow for more light to escape. Without a wedge the more common design is a simple blade shaped board and LEDs on either side that creates a shadow when positioned vertically. You risk creating a dark spot where the reflection is depending on how thin or wide that blade/board is. However, if you go with brighter LED chips and a thinner board that might overcome the dark spots but introduce glare if you get too bright. The reason why there is such a variance in the blade design is because you are dealing with different width blades, different brightness of the LED chips, and the size and location of the chips can make a different depending on the projector housing that was design for a halogen bulb that lights up all around. Headlight Projector housings that have separate bulbs for low and high beams just have fixed shutters that don't move. The Telluride's halogen projector housings on the LX, S and EX (non EX-P) use a shutter so you can just use one bulb for both.

Last edited:

KJLive

Reaction score
Before you go through the effort of adding/replacing a resistor you probably want to make sure that's the problem. If I were you I would just put in some cheap halogens (or the originals) let it reset, then put the Auxitos back in and see if that trick works to clear the problem. I haven't tried the Auxitos but I do think it's nice that they have an ultra thin board. The width of the board was one of my worries for eliminating dark spots. If you want to try a resistor, just google led headlight bulb resistors, but then you have to probably look on YouTube to make sure you wire them up correctly. You could also email Auxito and see what they suggest.

So here's the concern I see if I were you, if you keep buying $50 pairs of bulbs every time something goes wrong, why not buy a better set of LED retrofit bulbs? Diode, LasFit, Twelvolt all make a few options in the $130 range that aren't as cheap as the Amazon options but could provide more quality components, or you could go to HID. At the end of the day if you keep spending $50 every couple years, you may want to consider super bright white halogen 9005 bulbs for $30 and you are close to guaranteed to not get any false CANbus error codes. The Philips CrystalVision ultra bright white light bulbs are pretty bright halogen bulbs for under $30. This should also keep you 100% legal in all states and prevents the possibility of a citation. Lots of people claim that LED retrofit bulbs in projector housings are not legal. I would argue that most states' DOT specify Intensity, Brightness and Color, not bulb type. If you have LED retrofit bulbs that put off a white light that provides better visibility without blinding someone, there's nothing illegal that would warrant a citation.

I bought the Twelvolts when they were $100. The support from the shop is great and they come with a warranty. I'm personally a fan of the wedge design rather than the blade to avoid dark spots altogether and I think their bulbs are just bright enough to provide better visibility without glare for me and without blinding oncoming traffic. The way a projector housing with a 9005 bulb for low and high beams works is that the bulb shines up to a mirror and then reflects out with a shutter blocking some light for the low beam, then when you turn on high beams the shutter moves to allow for more light to escape. Without a wedge the more common design is a simple blade shaped board and LEDs on either side that creates a shadow when positioned vertically. You risk creating a dark spot where the reflection is depending on how thin or wide that blade/board is. However, if you go with brighter LED chips and a thinner board that might overcome the dark spots but introduce glare if you get too bright. The reason why there is such a variance in the blade design is because you are dealing with different width blades, different brightness of the LED chips, and the size and location of the chips can make a different depending on the projector housing that was design for a halogen bulb that lights up all around. Headlight Projector housings that have separate bulbs for low and high beams just have fixed shutters that don't move. The Telluride's halogen projector housings on the LX, S and EX (non EX-P) use a shutter so you can just use one bulb for both.
Thank you! Your answers are well thought, detailed and absolutely amazing! You have provided me with a lot to digest and research. Thanks for taking the time to explain all this information. I really appreciate the effort. I obviously have some work to do!!!

SBUBandit

Reaction score
Installed the Auxito LED bulbs and they are very bright, but while the driver’s side looks pretty good, the passenger side has way too many dark areas. And that side was a bear to put in. Returning and I guess trying the Lasfit or Twelvolt, or maybe HID. Is there a consensus yet on which of these three options are the best alternative?

My guess is that bulb is either not clocked correctly or some LEDs went out in the install process. That said, I am running Auxito 16000 lm LED lows and highs in one of my vehicles (Equinox) and although I've had modified headlights in every vehicle I've owned, these are the most outrageously bright bulbs I've used. Had some LEDs go out after a year, so this time I bought them direct from Auxito, where they now have a two year warranty. Coming up on the 1 year mark now, and as it starts getting dark earlier I'll know soon how they are doing.

Get your luxury badges right here in the Telluride forum store
Kia Telluride Clubs
Protect your vehicle from code scanners