Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Telluride SX Prestige - Average Wait time

Daparest

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I recognize the risk of encountering reduced or eliminated incentives when i get the call. I always have the option of canceling the deal, looking at a lesser trim, or coming up with the cash to pay the full bill. At least I won't have to pay over MSRP, even if incentives, MF or RV numbers change.

meabbys

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I had the same experience with a dealer here. Waiting list, no ordering. I chose to order the car for leasing for a few reasons: 1. I don't trust dealers to keep an honest waiting list. The first customer paying above MSRP gets it. The more you pay over MSRP the sooner a car comes for you. 2. I didn't want to be pressured into buying a car with that puke green color just because it was the only SX on the lot. I'm getting the car I want 3. I locked in the cap cost $. The $2000 Kia incentive expires at the end of this month. 4. My current lease has 3 more months to go. Waiting 3 or 4 months is not an issue. These 4 reasons for ordering may not be for you, but they work for me.
How did you order it? Via Kia’s website or where???

Daparest

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
We were 4 months from finishing the lease on our current car and still in the "just looking" phase. The sales rep at a local Kia dealer suggested we order the SX with the color and packages we wanted since it probably would take 3 to 4 months to come in. I quickly saw that going below MSRP for the cap cost was not possible and the rep and I agreed to use the website lease formula. We gave a $2000 deposit and the rep wrote up the order. If the car comes in sooner than 3/4 months and if there's no incentive, we'll cross those bridges at that time.

SSaul02

Reaction score
We ordered ours the second weekend in March. We ordered it with the tow package, Prestige Package, and the Dune Brown interior. I am more optimistic with the wait time than my husband. The dealer did not offer a specific wait time but I would assume we will have it by mid June. Otherwise we will wait until the next year model comes out or see what Jeep reveals down the line.

Kirkster

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I read in some of Kia's correspondence that they plan to make a major order backlog push in May. It's going to be all hands on deck for the Telly at the factory. Hopefully that will keep the order wait times reasonable. I ordered my SX last week and my dealer said they were told to tell customers 3 months for order fulfillment.

Sweteg

Reaction score
I'm new to forums but have kept up for a while. We just ordered one last week and was told up to 4-5 months at most due to the black wheels being backordered, but it could arrive in 2-3 months.

I'm not too worried about existing rebates as I personally think the same ones will exist in Q3-4 or better due to Palisade being out by then. To me the longer the Telluride has been out, the better.

I was able to get my local dealership to waive dealership fee, tax/tags/title when time comes, and they are courteous enough to give me a loaner this week until Telluride comes in so I can sell my current car. Therefore my case is a bit unique as I am not in a rush to get the vehicle.

Zaiwhat

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
You would think that KIA knowing this is such a hot new model would mostly produce the top model with highest trim to cash in on demand with the higher margin models. It seems that they did the opposite, who ever is calling the shots on the production line needs to get an MBA.

Sweteg

Reaction score
They are doing this on purpose to cash in by keeping demand high with all those dealerships charging above MSRP. Usually no one buys at MSRP but most of us are so it's working (then those buying way above).

The rep mentioned they made too many stingers and there wasn't much demand or interest in them as they wanted, which is why the different approach with the Telluride.

I personally don't believe there is a true backorder, it's just going slow to production on purpose to keep the demand high and that's why you hear these different reasons why it is on backorder.

BPM

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Speculation, but...

It was more important for them to shift their launch strategy to more of a marketing play and get as many out and in driveways as possible to spread the word. It was a bit strange that they were on sale for weeks before any journalist had an official review or drive.

If KIA's mission was to come out swinging, they clearly did it with a volume play, not a profit play. And they can't even keep up with that strategy. They just have a good thing on their hands.

bellrm00

Reaction score
We ordered a SX prestige with tow package with $1000 deposit on Thursday. We were told there were 17 preorders ahead of us at this dealer alone and not to expect delivery for at least 3 months. Hope to have it by the end of Summer.

Zaiwhat

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I spoke to the manager of KIA dealership near me today and he explained that KIA didn't anticipate the high demand on the SX and focused initial production on the LX and S. They are now changing the strategy to focus on meeting the demand for the SX and have also stopped production of the higher end V6 Sorento to build the SX Telluride on it's line. He expected availability to improve quickly as KIA knows that they have a limited time to capture these sales before other options hit the market or buyers get tired of waiting and move on to another option. He also said that KIA will be releasing a remote start option off the key fob later in the year.

Kirkaiya

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
He also said that KIA will be releasing a remote start option off the key fob later in the year.
I wonder if existing Tellurides will be compatible with the new key fob, or if there's a change in the vehicle itself to enable it. It has remote start now, via the app, so hopefully the former, and then we could just buy the new fob (if it's not outrageously priced).

Wap52

Reaction score
Ordered SX copper black with brown dune leather and towing package on March 21. Still waiting and was told at time of order we where looking at 6 to 8 weeks but starting to think more like 10 weeks so hopefully comes in end of May. Will let everyone know when it arrives.

Mr.JB

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Ordered SX copper black with brown dune leather and towing package on March 21. Still waiting and was told at time of order we where looking at 6 to 8 weeks but starting to think more like 10 weeks so hopefully comes in end of May. Will let everyone know when it arrives.
Your order is the same as ours but we placed it on March 9th. We were told on April 26th it was accepted.

cheeks80

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Today i went to the dealership in Minneapolis to check for the status of my order (Ordered Mar 21). I was told by the dealership manager that Kia is not manufacturing cars based on the orders rather they are manufacturing based on their own logic of popular colors and combination and then matching; who ordered what they manufactured !!!!!!!!! I was stunned... I asked him what is the probability Kia will manufacture my specification moss green with dune brown. He said we will keep finger crossed.... Any way my current honda accord lease ends May 24th so he offered to give me a loaner at no extra cost... Hope it is a stinger !!!! :)

Shakodag

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Today i went to the dealership in Minneapolis to check for the status of my order (Ordered Mar 21). I was told by the dealership manager that Kia is not manufacturing cars based on the orders rather they are manufacturing based on their own logic of popular colors and combination and then matching; who ordered what they manufactured !!!!!!!!! I was stunned... I asked him what is the probability Kia will manufacture my specification moss green with dune brown. He said we will keep finger crossed.... Any way my current honda accord lease ends May 24th so he offered to give me a loaner at no extra cost... Hope it is a stinger !!!! :)
This actually does make sense. There is likely significant challenges with trying to swap out different car interiors for just a few cars. They likely wait until enough orders of similar builds have accumulated, then they go all at once. I have the espresso brown interior on order which seems even rarer than the dune brown. Fingers crossed.

By the way, I noticed at Jeff Belzer Kia in Lakeville has a white SX with dune brown in stock. The description on the listing says black interior, but the window sticker PDF does, in fact, say dune brown interior. EDIT - wait, it’s butterscotch interior — https://www.jeffbelzerkia.com/api/inventory/GetStickers/?sv=NQBYAFkAUAA1AEQASABDADQATABHADAAMQA3ADQAMwA2AA==&make=Kia&dealerCode=MN010&loc=SrpDetails

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I was told by the dealership manager that Kia is not manufacturing cars based on the orders rather they are manufacturing based on their own logic of popular colors and combination and then matching; who ordered what they manufactured !!!!!!!!!
If you where going to make sure that it was impossible and expensive to fill orders that would be it. It would be easier to win the lottery then get the car you ordered.

With about 50,000 vehicles being built, the numbers are against anyone that orders.
Even if we give them best possible numbers.

1 in 4 will be sx. So 12,000 SX are going to be built.
50% of them could be AWD, 6,000 cars.
50% of them would be prestige, 3,000 cars
At this point we have 21 different combos for colors.
That would leave about 150 cars per color, trim, and options sold in the next 12 months. 2 per month. Each of the 2 will be delivered to 2 regions. So you only have a 1 in 3 each month. 1 in 36 total is worst the most legal gambling.

If they include addons like skid plates, sills, and other options installed at factory, there is a chance they would never make the vehicle.

If they are not taking custom orders from the factory, you have a better 10x better chance of getting a Ford GT, which only 1000 where built then getting you make, color, and trim level.

SSaul02

Reaction score
Or buy something else. You might be able to pre-order a Pallisade and get it quicker.
If you order build a Palisade the average wait time for a vehicle build from Korea is 6-8 weeks and then wait up to another 9 weeks for actual delivery. Thats what the dealership told me.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!