No soliciting permitted.

Telluride VIN Lookup - The History

ksyrah

Reaction score
Phase 1
Early on in the life of this bulletin board, a member - @Michelw , was able to create a spreadsheet of Tellurides produced and was published fairly regularly or as requested. This is still kept up to date today. This data was extrapolated from the Monroney sticker (window sticker) that KIA published on their US website for US production.

Phase 2
@foresterh reached out to Michelw to find out about automating the process to be more up to date. They created the app that "scraped" the website many times during the day for newly created VIN's. Scraping is the process of making a request to the server for a specific VIN based on an algorithm for creating a VIN and in a sequential order. Since this data is generated by KIA, there in no way to determine how KIA posts the VIN's and some do come in out of order and may be missed on the first pass. There is logic to go back and check for missed VIN's to see they have been posted. If there is a valid response from the server, the data of the window sticker is parsed and stored. Since Foresterh's logic was to check multiple times per day, KIA got wise and blocked the original web host from accessing the Kia website.

Phase 3
@DruKe offered to take it over. He changed the logic to scan once a day to hopefully eliminate KIA from blocking the application which has worked so far. The development team has also updated it to reflect the latest colors and trims and has optimized it so that the data loads faster.

Phase 4
Unknown. If everyone continues to complain about failcat, the site may be taken down.

To conclude, this process is only for US production currently and is all volunteer driven - it is not their job to make sure that it is correct 24/7. KIA has changed things in the past and sometimes it takes some time to resolve the issues. This is only a tool to use for informational purposes - it has never been deemed to be 100% accurate nor will it ever be.

Please thank the development team of Michelw, foresterh, DruKe, and @mitchkramez for their contributions.

Last edited:

foresterh

Reaction score
Nice writeup @ksyrah ! Excellent explanation of the site and it's history. I wrote it for fun and to help my search for a Telluride. I'm ecstatic that others have helped work on it and found it so useful. I'm all about open source software (free and community written) and this is a great instance of that.

Stingme

Reaction score
I appreciate all the hard work that all of you put into this!!

noles1983

Reaction score
Shoutout to the Failcat crew, thanks. I already have had my VIN show up in Failcat. I keep checking Failcat anyways, I do not know why.

Last edited:

mitchkramez

Reaction score
Thanks all - happy to assist in any way I can. It's a very useful tool 😀 I look forward to the day my VIN shows up on it!

kcwjr1948

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Thanks to all who have worked on failcat - greatly appreciated.

Heshan4G63

Reaction score
Echoing the sentiments of everyone here. Thank you for supporting and making available such a valuable tool.

Failcat picked up my VIN a week before I even got word from the dealership. I don't know if that's more of a compliment about failcat or more of an indictment against the dealership/sales rep.🤷‍♂️

Awade32

Reaction score
Shoutout to the Failcat crew, thanks. I already have had my VIN show up in Failcat. I keep checking Failcat anyways, I do not know why.
Ha! I still check it every day. Habit I guess. Now I just look to see how many similar cars to mine have been produced.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Tellurmom

Reaction score
I bought mine from hilltop Kia. Does the dealer give you a vin. Or do you hypothesize that from options date etc.

noles1983

Reaction score
I bought mine from hilltop Kia. Does the dealer give you a vin. Or do you hypothesize that from options date etc.
They should give you a vin once it is in their system.

Edit: A simple grammar mistake, that apparently triggers perfectionists that are not actually perfectionists in practice.

Last edited:

Tellurmom

Reaction score
So I stalked failcat and going my exact specs Gravity Gray, black interior, night fall, prestige, tow, mats 5XYP5DHC1MG117401 going to my dealer with a date of 10/14 I ordered mine 10/11. Hmmmm 🤔... Nothing from hilltop Kia though.

foresterh

Reaction score
Nothing from hilltop Kia though.
It took my dealer about a week to let me know that the VIN I'd sent him a week earlier was, in fact, my car. He said "nope... that's not it" when I asked him the first time I saw it.

To be fair, it was the 3rd or 4th time I'd asked him a VIN that showed up was mine....

Tellurmom

Reaction score
It took my dealer about a week to let me know that the VIN I'd sent him a week earlier was, in fact, my car. He said "nope... that's not it" when I asked him the first time I saw it.

To be fair, it was the 3rd or 4th time I'd asked him a VIN that showed up was mine....
Lol, I called Kia at hilltop to check and he wouldn't even look it up. Said it was impossible too be so soon. I feel very silly I did just order it 10/11. Hope springs eternal?🤷‍♀️ https://www.kia.com/us/services/en/windowsticker/load/5XYP3DHC4MG110545

Tellurmom

Reaction score

Lol, I called Kia at hilltop to check and he wouldn't even look it up. Said it was impossible to be so soon. I feel very silly I did just order it 10/11. Hope springs eternal?🤷‍♀️ https://www.kia.com/us/services/en/windowsticker/load/5XYP3DHC4MG110545

Last edited: