Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in
  • PLEASE NOTE: This is a private community with only a few publicly accessible areas. Please sign up for open access to full level content.

Telluride will only be in limited supply?

Joeyknucklez

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to this forum and will be posting more. But my first post is a question about a convo I’ve had with a few dealers in regards to production of the Telluride. Has anyone else heard they are only making a limited number of Tellurides? I heard this from at least 3 dealers. They said they wanted to keep resale value high for these so only a certain amount will be built. They also said there is another larger SUV coming out to compete with the Suburban. Any truth to this?

Buckeye-TRide

Reaction score
Sounds like BS to me in regards to the Telluride production. Kia wants to maximize sales not resale for when we trade in lol. Sales people will say anything to build hype and sell at or over MSRP. This is a Kia not a limited edition Bugatti.

In regards to the larger model I guess it could be in the works, but what market for that type of vehicle really exists? The suburban is only larger in the area behind the third row and if they build one they would need a bigger motor or the TT from the stinger. I would be very surprised if something like that was built by Kia.

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to this forum and will be posting more. But my first post is a question about a convo I’ve had with a few dealers in regards to production of the Telluride. Has anyone else heard they are only making a limited number of Tellurides? I heard this from at least 3 dealers. They said they wanted to keep resale value high for these so only a certain amount will be built. They also said there is another larger SUV coming out to compete with the Suburban. Any truth to this?
Kind of. About 60,000 ish tellurides will be built. At 60,000 by December there should be 10-60 tellurides per dealer. They will not be selling out of them. The number can change depending on the demand.

Resell has nothing to do with the number built. BMW will sell about 45,000 x5 and they will go down in value by about 44% in 3 years.

Yes, there is a larger KIA/Hyundai coming out late this year or next year.

Buckeye-TRide

Reaction score
Kind of. About 60,000 ish tellurides will be built. At 60,000 by December there should be 10-60 tellurides per dealer. They will not be selling out of them. The number can change depending on the demand.

Resell has nothing to do with the number built. BMW will sell about 45,000 x5 and they will go down in value by about 44% in 3 years.

Yes, there is a larger KIA/Hyundai coming out late this year or next year.
Looks like a Telluride to me. That article is a year and a half old.

Buckeye-TRide

Reaction score

Joeyknucklez

Reaction score
Found this

Buckeye-TRide

Reaction score
Found this
The Borrego is still sold overseas as a Mohave and they already stated they will not sell the Telluride anywhere but the US and Canada. If I was a betting man I’d say this is the Telluride for the Korean market because it looks to be the exact same size and general style as the Telluride. I really doubt they’re going full size.

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok that’s a palisade which is literally a Telluride in a Hyundai suit. The original article you linked spoke about 2 test vehicles which I’d guess one being the Telluride and the other being the Palisade. They have not released anything about a vehicle larger than the Telluride/Palisade. Also that article is a year old as well.
According to what I understand it is as large suburban type coming to the united states in 2020+. One minute. Let me get the Kia version.

It going to fill in the larger suv market compared to navigator and suburban.

Buckeye-TRide

Reaction score
According to what I understand it is as large suburban. One minute. Let me get the Kia version.

The Mohave is a Korea-only SUV and no it’s not anywhere near the size of a suburban. This is really just a lazily written article. Search google for Mohave Masterpiece to find the truth of the matter which is that this is a concept of a car that already exists in Korea that would overlap the Telluride.

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The Mohave is a Korea-only SUV and no it’s not anywhere near the size of a suburban. This is really just a lazily written article. Search google for Mohave Masterpiece to find the truth of the matter which is that this is a concept of a car that already exists in Korea that would overlap the Telluride.
I understand what you are saying, but according to the rumor mill, they want to bring the Masterpiece and Gamemaster to the united states AS A FULL SIZE suv. They will be created to compete with the large FULL size suv's. We are not talking about what is being sold in korea or anywhere else. They will be a completely different SUV and they could be launched with the trucks they keep talking about.

EROCK

Reaction score
I’ve had a few dealers tell me a similar thing..only 40k Tellurides being produced for 2020 and a very small percentage of them will be SX models yadda yadda

YEH

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The Mohave is also still available in parts of the Middle East.

I understand what you are saying, but according to the rumor mill, they want to bring the Masterpiece and Gamemaster to the united states AS A FULL SIZE suv. They will be created to compete with the large FULL size suv's. We are not talking about what is being sold in korea or anywhere else. They will be a completely different SUV and they could be launched with the trucks they keep talking about.
The Grandmaster is just the concept version of the Hyundai Palisade.

As for the Masterpiece, it's just a heavily reworked (more extensive 2nd facelift) of the old Borrego/Mohave which is shorter in length than the Telluride.

Doubt Kia will be bringing it over as the platform underpinning it will now be 2 generations old.

Word is, however, that H/K are in the midst of developing a new BoF platform to underpin both proper pick-ups and SUVs.

H/K want a Hilux competitor (Toyota's best-selling pick-up worldwide), but the question remains if the vehicles based on the new BoF platform will make their way to the US (will depend on where they are manufactured).

As for the Telluride, the notion that Kia had set plans for production this year at around 55k seems accurate as April sales only increased by 500 to 5,500 from March. If sales stay around the 5,500 mark for May, then we pretty much know that production for this year is capped at 55k (for a full 12 months, would be 66k).

Supposedly, Kia is looking to increase production, but that likely won't happen until the MY change and what Kia sets as production capacity for the new Optima.

Kia has also supposedly stepped up production of the SX trim, but the availability of captain's chairs has created a bottleneck.

Last edited:

Spider07

Reaction score
I could see a limited amount of production in the first year of a new model. Several reasons: 1. Limited supply means more profit as Dealerships can sell at MSRP. 2. Always some kinks in the 1st roll out. Limit the production, limit the warranty cost to fix those kinks. 3. Market Share, as much as I LOVE my Telluride, it has a way to go to get the rep of the Highlander or Pilot. If all those things pick up over the first year, I suspect we will see an increase in production in year 2 or 3 of the model.

Dandy

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
My Guess is that these are "limited production" simply based upon the capacity of the production line(s).

On the Ascent, which was released around this time last year, Subaru stated they can produce 60000 per year. I am sure if demand would justify it, additional shifts can be added or if there is truly enough demand they would invest in another line to double production. The 1st couple of years they are getting a feel for any kinks that need to be worked out and the demand. As much as the dealers may like the limited supply currently, to drive up demand/prices/margin, KIAs goal is to sell as many cars as they can. Their profits are not determined what we purchase the car for, but how many they can sell to the dealers.

Our dealership has 4 or 5 Tellurides on the lot. Their website shows 6, with photos of 5. I know that they have the 4 maroon ones sitting there. They are all EX and LX versions. Some have been there for a few weeks. Demand will drop, lots will have stock or demand will continue KIA will increase production and lots will have stock. A year ago, most Subaru dealers were selling the Ascents at or above MSRP, which is why I am not driving one. I refuse to pay MSRP. There is now stock on lots and the dealers are negotiating, but there have been new vehicles released which is now why I am not driving one. The dealership could have earned my sale, and now they might lose it to a competitor. KIA dealerships may see the same thing as new vehicles are being launched, including it's "sibling" the Palisade.

Vietvet

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The Borrego is still sold overseas as a Mohave and they already stated they will not sell the Telluride anywhere but the US and Canada. If I was a betting man I’d say this is the Telluride for the Korean market because it looks to be the exact same size and general style as the Telluride. I really doubt they’re going full size.

Hate to say.... there are a TON of Tellurides in the middle east.... seems the "Sheiks" love them too. Some even have cloth seats and cup holder ashtrays. So far though..I believe the only place they are assembled is West Point, GA.

Buckeye-TRide

Reaction score
Hate to say.... there are a TON of Tellurides in the middle east.... seems the "Sheiks" love them too. Some even have cloth seats and cup holder ashtrays. So far though..I believe the only place they are assembled is West Point, GA.
Yeah it looks like a different company is exporting them. So they’re still made for the US but purchased and exported elsewhere.

Crazymom5

Reaction score
Kia is one of my husband’s customers. He was at the plant about 3 weeks ago. 2 other vehicles are built on the same line so they can only build so many right now. To build more they will have to build another line or lower the production of the other two vehicles.

Kia Rocks!!

Reaction score
All Telluride's are built in West Point, GA. No where else in the world. We will build about 3,000 Telluride's to export to the middle east each year. They ship out of the the Brunswick port.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.