You've found the busiest Telluride community online!

Please register and become a member. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

The KIA Telluride's Starting Price is $31,690

Telluride Forum

Staff member
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
When you compare the warranty though its a no brainer.... Kia takes the cake by a long shot. Plus the Telluride isn't going to be as complex, mechanically due to its simple NA engine versus a convoluted turbo flat 4 engine that has had a shaky history....

At 90K miles on each, which would you rather own? The out of warranty Subaru with the looming headgasket repair over your head, or an NA V6 still under powertrain coverage?
Very good point about warranty - as well as the longevity of natural aspiration...

SBPC20

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
When you compare the warranty though its a no brainer.... Kia takes the cake by a long shot. Plus the Telluride isn't going to be as complex, mechanically due to its simple NA engine versus a convoluted turbo flat 4 engine that has had a shaky history....

At 90K miles on each, which would you rather own? The out of warranty Subaru with the looming headgasket repair over your head, or an NA V6 still under powertrain coverage?
The Ascent has an all new motor, first time being used and now it’s going in the 2020 legacy as a option on the top trim models..
but yeah that turbo will be the first to fail if nothing else ever does.

Telluride Forum

Staff member
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Soooo what you are saying don’t buy ascent if you want to keep your car beyond 100k?
Well, maybe not necessarily "don't" - but expect to have more issues and expenses. That's for sure...

Steve

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
So I wonder why Consumer Reports gives the Telluride a lower expected reliability score than the Ascent.

Steve

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
didnt know they had a report for telluride vs ascent already??
Just a preliminary "expected" rating for the Telluride, and a normal first year rating for the Ascent. 4 out of 5 for the Ascent, 3 out of 5 for the Telluride.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

MastriaTelluride

Reaction score
Don't forget consumer reports, JD Power etc. have their own measurements for quality and reliability, that is probably very different from our personal idea of what "reliability" is.

When I think reliability I think of how long the engine and major components are going to last, not how many window switches and door lock actuators out of 100 cars went bad within 3 years.

SBPC20

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Don't forget consumer reports, JD Power etc. have their own measurements for quality and reliability, that is probably very different from our personal idea of what "reliability" is.

When I think reliability I think of how long the engine and major components are going to last, not how many window switches and door lock actuators out of 100 cars went bad within 3 years.

Here’s the new one from JD
Most reliable vehicles

Telluride Forum

Staff member
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
That’s what I was told by an engineer!

What do we know about Telluride engine, or what should we expect?
And is hHyundai pretty much same thing?
I do believe the KIA Telluride and Hyundai Palisade will share the same drivetrain. But Hyundai can't give it's customers TOO much luxury - otherwise it would be stepping on Genesis' toes... So I predict the Telluride will be the more luxurious vehicle of the two...
So I wonder why Consumer Reports gives the Telluride a lower expected reliability score than the Ascent.
Yeah, I wouldn't pay too much to that at this point...

Schlegel

Reaction score
I’m comparing the telluride and ascent
To each other .. I’m still leaning toward the subaru tho.
I have never owned either brands (ford guy) but my wife doesn’t want another ford and I’m kinda feeling the same.. I would def. need to spend some time with a Kia vehicle before making a 30K+ decision ..
I’m on my third Kia. The Telluride, if I can ever find one to buy, will be MY FOURTH KIA. I never regretted buying any of them. Value, quality, warranty & safety - KIA can’t be beat!

regaphysics

Reaction score
Subaru has been doing turbos a long time. 150k miles should be no issue. TBH, all new car drivetrains are very reliable with the exception of a few duds (land rover, some jeep models). The main thing to worry about with reliability is the electronics. Replacing cameras, ECUs, seat motors, etc., is going to cost you more in the long run than a blown turbo at 150k miles. Replacing a turbo only costs like 1500$ including labor (unless it physically blows up, which is exceptionally rare if it isn't after-market boosted). One headlight assembly on high end lights will cost nearly that much.

Jomaslen

Reaction score
Hopefully it will come with a decent amount of standard safety features .. I haven’t found that info yet..
I’m stuck between the Telluride and the Subaru Ascent.. Subaru has a lot of standard features for similar price, only downfall for me is it’s a turbo 4, but can live with it for the safety features..
Just looked at palisade Hyundai to compare since that is the Telluride mother car. I found out the steal is stronger and dings wont ripple when removing and has longer warranty on corrosion. It seem to be a smother ride more safety features. This car buying is getting confusing. Plus the dealers speak a lot of bs if you order. Don’t plan on seeing it anytime soon

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Just looked at palisade Hyundai to compare since that is the Telluride mother car. I found out the steal is stronger and dings wont ripple when removing and has longer warranty on corrosion. It seem to be a smother ride more safety features. This car buying is getting confusing. Plus the dealers speak a lot of bs if you order. Don’t plan on seeing it anytime soon

Either the Palisade or the Telluride will make you happy. Both very nice vehicles. The Palisade can be found at most Hyundai dealerships in stock - which is a plus. Telluride is harder to come by depending on where you live. But, they continue to roll into dealerships. Safety features are identical I believe.

Chief

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased the Telluride S with Captain Chairs and had them changed for the 8 pac: Bench seat? Did you get to keep the Captain Chairs or did the dealer keep them?