No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

thumping noise

Magoo

Reaction score
my SXP AWD has been at the dealer for over a week because of a " thumping noise" at the rear of the vehicle on the driver's side.
they want to keep it until they find the source of the problem.
at first they thought it might be a shock or strut. it was not.
it's not a squeak or rattle, but a thud or thumping noise when the vehicle drives over bumpy road conditions.
the dealer has Kia corporate involved, and Kia has a field engineer assigned to the problem.
i'm writing this post to see if anyone else has experienced this problem.

G

G-945235

Hi - I'm having a similar issue with my SX. Were they able to figure out the cause and fix the noise? Thanks

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Magoo

Reaction score
Where are you located? Do you know the build date of your vehicle?
They did figure out the source of the noise.
its a lengthy explanation if you want to send your cell number I could call and explain.

Shaeboy1503

Reaction score
Have them check the shocks and struts on both the driver and passenger sides.
My AWD SX has the same issue. So I need to tell them to check the shocks/struts and sway bars correct? mine sounds like mostly the right rear. only on quick bumps, speed bumps, etc. Smooth roads not really noticed.

Magoo

Reaction score
the noise in my awd sxp sounded like it was coming from the driver's side rear.
the dealer removed and reinstalled the jack, removed and reinstalled the license plate frame, spare tire, fuel tank and fasteners, checked everything on the left side rear that could possibly come loose or be the source of the problem.
no luck...the noise was still there. they had my vehicle for just under 3 weeks.
finally one of the dealer technicians that hadn't worked on my vehicle took a ride in it, had an idea, and put his idea into action.
what he came up with is the source of the noise actually originated on the passenger side shock absorber/strut, and the noise traveled over to the driver's side to make it sound like it was coming from the driver's side. they replaced the passenger side shock/strut, and i haven't had the problem/noise since.
weird...go figure.
hope your problem is as simple as mine.
good luck.