No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Time for Hyundai/Kia/Genesis

kane

Reaction score
Time has come now for Hyundai group to step up their game by producing cars which can handle perfectly the way Mercedes or BMW or Audi handles.
Hyundai group has done remarkably well enough in the interior section but still it lacks the driving performance.
Hope Hyundai pays attention to it and works on to produce a complete car like BMW and Mercedes.

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Time has come now for Hyundai group to step up their game by producing cars which can handle perfectly the way Mercedes or BMW or Audi handles.
Hyundai group has done remarkably well enough in the interior section but still it lacks the driving performance.
Hope Hyundai pays attention to it and works on to produce a complete car like BMW and Mercedes.
Completely different markets. Just look at sales volumes to see that. BMW and Mercedes have their gateway vehicles with lower margins, and then it's all about lower volume at high prices - soaking the wealthy. And they do very well at that. True, they are nice vehicles, but in the performance / value tradeoff, I'll stick with the South Koreans. I enjoyed my BMW, but I didn't enjoy it's cost nor the maintenance expense.

Mazda has attempted to build a "complete car" as you talk about - by focusing on the driving experience and interior... but people only want to buy the CX-5. Interesting. I don't see Hyundai / Kia going this route. Genesis, I think has been honing the driving experience - reviews for their sedans have been stellar recently.

kane

Reaction score
Mazda needs to work on interiors.
Also they could do well if they come up with a V6 Sedan

Tino

Reaction score
I was in a new MX3 recently. I thought for a compact car the interior was very upscale.

SorentoSXL

Reaction score
Toyota is now the only mainstream company doing a V6 sedan in a volume model. Why would Mazda waste resources on a V6 sedan? That market is tiny.

markjenn

Reaction score
[
What???? If there is an area where Mazda consistently receives accolades for punching above its price class, it’s interiors. Many favorably compare Mazda interiors with Audi.

V6 sedans? Waste of resources in today’s SUV centric market.

Mazda’s big issue is that it doesn’t have the resources to develop competitive drivetrains. They’re milking an ancient six-speed transmission that is obsolete and they have zero presence in the hybrid and electric markets. They’ve squandered precious resources on diesels and Skyactiv-X, neither of which appear to offer compelling advantages.

- Mark

kane

Reaction score
[

What???? If there is an area where Mazda consistently receives accolades for punching above its price class, it’s interiors. Many favorably compare Mazda interiors with Audi.

Mazda’s big issue is that it doesn’t have the resources to develop competitive drivetrains. They’re milking an ancient six-speed transmission that is obsolete and they have zero presence in the hybrid and electric markets. They’ve squandered precious resources on diesels and Skyactiv-X, neither of which appear to offer compelling advantages.

- Mark
The only reason that's keeps me inclined towards a V6 Sedan is the performance and handling which I can never get in a SUV.

kane

Reaction score
Toyota is now the only mainstream company doing a V6 sedan in a volume model. Why would Mazda waste resources on a V6 sedan? That market is tiny.
You got many..Lexus GS and ES, Camry XSE, Nissan Maxima, Kia Cadenza, Genesis G80, Charger ....

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

YEH

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
A bit little behind the times.

The G70 has won just about every major auto award in NA and is still listed as Car & Driver's top entry-level lux model.

While the 3 Series has the better powertrains, the G70 will close the gap w/ the new 2.5T and 3.5TT (still, the in-house 8 spd AT isn't quite as quick to shift as the ZF-sourced trans in BMWs), but the G70 is more tossable, has better steering feel and has the better ride/handling combo (the same can be said for the Stinger - which is essentially a fastback version of the G70).

And then there's the Veloster N (would much rather have gotten the i30N or the i30 Fastback N) - which was Road & Track's 2020 Performance Car of the Year, Cars.com's 2020 Most Fun-to-Drive Car of the Year, Automobile magazine's All-Star, Motorweek's Driver's Choice Award, etc.

There are more N models coming (like the Kona-N), as well as N-Line models (Sonata N-Line).

Mercedes (at least their sedans) haven't exactly been known for their handling; altho MB has improved on that recently, but still, not at the top of their respective segments and the AMG variants are more known for their prodigious power than supreme handling (making them more like the lux version of muscle cars).

Audi (while they have done as much as is possible), there are limitations w/ a FWD layout (even longitudinal) where the weight balance isn't as ideal as a proper RWD layout.

Now, there definitely is room for improvement w/ the G80 and G90 - which currently are more known for being luxo-cruisers, but that'll change w/ the next G80.

The biggest detriment to handling prowess is weight and the current G80 and G90 are heavy (same can be said for MB sedans relative to BMW, Audi and Jag), but the next G80 will be underpinned by a new, lighter-weight RWD platform, as well as using aluminum for certain body panels.

YEH

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
[

- Mark
Mazda is actually in development of an straight-6 motor to go along w/ RWD architecture (agree about their interiors).

Ironically, it's Lexus/Toyota which has been dragging their feet when it has come to investing in their RWD sedans.

A new IS is still several years away (like for the LS460, Lexus will do a 2nd, more extensive F/L) and in all likelihood, the GS will be discontinued.

The LS 500 has been a sales flop (the delay in doing an entirely new LS hasn't helped, as did the direction Lexus took w/ the LS 500).

When the next IS arrives, it purportedly will be using the I6 and RWD platform sourced from Mazda.

That's something Genesis should do - use the new 2.5L 4-cyl as the basis for an I6 motor.