No soliciting permitted.

Totaled Telluride

tekbroker

Reaction score
Greetings. I thought since I may be one of the earlier Telluride owners to have a total loss I would share our experience.
2021 AWD SX Prestige w/tow, moss green/Napa grey.
while stopped at a red light waiting to turn left, a young 23 year old girl in a porche courtesy Vehicle took a right turn going 65 and lost it, slid over median, caught some air and ended up head on into our vehicle which slammed us back into the vehicle behind us. Everyone walked away thankfully. I have to give credit to the Telluride for holding up so well to this impact. Police at the scene were also commenting how impressed they were with how our car held up to the impact. Pictures attached.

On a more positive note We just purchased a new Telluride last night to replace our Moss Green Telluride. My wife forced my hand at AWD SX Prestige Nightfall Everlasting Grey (or as we call it silver lining). Although most people like it better I think I preferred the look of my prior. Maybe if I threw the SX wheels back on and the side running boards it would help. On that note I will be posting for an exchange for anyone who wants to trade their SX wheels for nightfall. We are in Irvine, CA.

The takeaway is we are happy nobody was hurt. This was another eye-opener to how fast things can change in life, and we gave our kids an extra-long hug that night.

Attachments

• 18766DD5-2FB1-472B-9CF5-064734143703.jpeg
    18766DD5-2FB1-472B-9CF5-064734143703.jpeg
    549.3 KB · Views: 292
  • A1E1E424-85FA-4DC0-8FE1-542F8210D92E.jpeg
    A1E1E424-85FA-4DC0-8FE1-542F8210D92E.jpeg
    387.5 KB · Views: 284
  • 4C694B39-90E3-4BF7-BDB8-122C40EA1012.jpeg
    4C694B39-90E3-4BF7-BDB8-122C40EA1012.jpeg
    407.4 KB · Views: 281
  • E050507C-B788-4426-BF09-BDB9B2848312.jpeg
    E050507C-B788-4426-BF09-BDB9B2848312.jpeg
    395.7 KB · Views: 280
  • C386ED1F-7491-42AF-ADAB-DA5DBFF5837E.jpeg
    C386ED1F-7491-42AF-ADAB-DA5DBFF5837E.jpeg
    270.4 KB · Views: 283
  • B8E00FF3-C131-4F24-9905-1D670D4E6CD5.jpeg
    B8E00FF3-C131-4F24-9905-1D670D4E6CD5.jpeg
    499.9 KB · Views: 287
  • 0446D938-2E0E-402B-B9F7-7F767132111A.jpeg
    0446D938-2E0E-402B-B9F7-7F767132111A.jpeg
    370.5 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:

BRNXBMR

Reaction score
Greetings. I thought since I may be one of the earlier Telluride owners to have a total loss I would share our experience.
while stopped at a red light waiting to turn left, a young 23 year old girl in a porche courtesy Vehicle took a right turn going 65 and lost it, slid over median, caught some air and ended up head on into our vehicle which slammed us back into the vehicle behind us. Everyone walked away thankfully. I have to give credit to the Telluride for holding up so well to this impact. Police at the scene were also commenting how impressed they were with how our car held up to the impact.

We just purchased a new Telluride last night to replace our Moss Green Telluride.
My wife forced my hand at AWD SX Prestige Nightfall Everlasting Grey (or as we call it silver lining). Although most people like it better I think I preferred the look of my prior. Maybe if I threw the SX wheels back on and the side running boards it would help. On that note I will be posting for an exchange for anyone who wants to trade their SX wheels for nightfall. We are in Irvine, CA.
Here are the pictures for anyone interested
Passenger airbag didn't deploy???

qwikhit

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Maybe no one was sitting there 🤷‍♂️

Tellthemride

Reaction score
Glad to hear you made it out unharmed. 👌

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

tekbroker

Reaction score
My whole take from this is "whoa, I don't like those NF wheels"! Honestly, glad you are ok!
That's funny as I re-read my own post I can see how it may come off like that. Perhaps I should have separated the 2 messages out (accident vs wheels). Thank you for the kind words

PittPa

Reaction score
That's funny as I re-read my own post I can see how it may come off like that. Perhaps I should have separated the 2 messages out (accident vs wheels). Thank you for the kind words
Actually, the comment was meant to be coming from me :p The wheels on the totaled car actually should be fine. Too bad you can track it back to where its going and do a deal.

JerseySXP

Reaction score
Actually, the comment was meant to be coming from me :p The wheels on the totaled car actually should be fine. Too bad you can track it back to where its going and do a deal.
The insurance company will make a nice penny on those!

JerseySXP

Reaction score
while stopped at a red light waiting to turn left, a young 23 year old girl in a porche courtesy Vehicle took a right turn going 65 and lost it, slid over median, caught some air and ended up head on into our vehicle which slammed us back into the vehicle behind us. Everyone walked away thankfully. I have to give credit to the Telluride for holding up so well to this impact. Police at the scene were also commenting how impressed they were with how our car held up to the impact. Pictures attached.

On a more positive note We just purchased a new Telluride last night to replace our Moss Green Telluride. My wife forced my hand at AWD SX Prestige Nightfall Everlasting Grey (or as we call it silver lining). Although most people like it better I think I preferred the look of my prior. Maybe if I threw the SX wheels back on and the side running boards it would help. On that note I will be posting for an exchange for anyone who wants to trade their SX wheels for nightfall. We are in Irvine, CA.

The takeaway is we are happy nobody was hurt. This was another eye-opener to how fast things can change in life, and we gave our kids an extra-long hug that night.
Glad to hear everyone is safe and sound - everything else is replaceable. Literally.

How long did it take before the girls insurance company deemed your Telluride a complete loss? Hope they didn't drag it for too long...

jazzyone

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score

Is it me or did the Porsche fair better? It looks like the KT crumpled like an accordion (which I realize is a safety thing). Half the front is squashed in while the Porsche looks to have suffered less damage. Is it just the picture?

qwikhit

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
I bet that Porsche dealer is PISSED; you don’t wreck the loaner car 🤦‍♂️

JerseySXP

Reaction score
I bet that Porsche dealer is PISSED; you don’t wreck the loaner car 🤦‍♂️
Oh for sure they must be livid. This will fall on their insurance not the girls.

tekbroker

Reaction score
Oh for sure they must be livid. This will fall on their insurance not the girls.
Unlikely. At the scene, the father showed and made sure the officer took down his insurance, not the dealers. Makes me wonder if the girl was even supposed to be driving the courtesy car.

qwikhit

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Oh that’s probably worse 😂

tekbroker

Reaction score
Is it me or did the Porsche fair better? It looks like the KT crumpled like an accordion (which I realize is a safety thing). Half the front is squashed in while the Porsche looks to have suffered less damage. Is it just the picture?
The KT did crumple a bit more. Not sure if that's a bad thing though?

I'm am definitely going to propose this to the insurance company. Might as well go for the side running boards too.

Glad to hear everyone is safe and sound - everything else is replaceable. Literally.

How long did it take before the girls insurance company deemed your Telluride a complete loss? Hope they didn't drag it for too long...
My insurance company who is going to mediate and represent me was out there the next day and deemed it a total loss by the following day. This accident just happened 5 days, last wednesday. This is my first time going through something like this so not even sure how it works, or how my insurance would be the one to make that call. Hopefully, it holds because I already bought a new one lol

Buck14

Reaction score
...[W]hile stopped at a red light waiting to turn left, a young 23 year old girl in a [Porsche] courtesy [v]ehicle took a right turn going 65 and lost it, slid over median, caught some air and ended up head on into our vehicle which slammed us back into the vehicle behind us. Everyone walked away thankfully..."

1. I am glad that everyone is OK
2. Taking the facts as stated by OP to be true in the quote above, this certainly does not seem like "an accident". Look at the position of her car! WTF is it doing there! I would be livid and merciless. She is lucky she got kindness from the OP. At best gross negligence by the Porsche driver. I hope she gets arrested and spends some time in jail. Extremely unlikely I know. Someone that does this needs to have their license suspended for a few years at a minimum. We do not need these people on the roads.

DarkMossJustin

Reaction score
The insurance company will make a nice penny on those!

First off:

I'm happy that @tekbroker walked away from this and that Telly did its job in protecting the human being(s) inside.

Y'all walked away with your lives, in better shape than Tiger Woods hopefully, and sharing your experience and some great photos on the Telluride Forum.

Just curious:

If the car is declared totaled by the insurance company, one can't go back to the junkyard and pop those rims off to have as a second set of wheels?

Could @tekbroker have called a friend or family member with some power tools to remove the SX wheels after the investigation/report concluded but before the insurance had it parted-out or destroyed?

Also:

NFE wheels are fugly.

There.

I said it.

Are they as bad as Subaru Outbacks covered with stickers?

No.

But they're still a NFE dealbreaker for me.

SX wheels for life and Dune to the Moon!

qwikhit

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
In Texas; you can buy the vehicle back from insurance once it’s totaled. I’ve never done it but I know guys that have for parts etc

KML

Reaction score
So glad to hear everyone is alright. That looks like a quite a hit you took. Also impressed how the Telluride protected you.

On the other hand, welcome to the Everlasting Silver/Gray group :)

Everlasting Silver.jpg