No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Towing Capacity Official Update

bmkt

Reaction score
And the max tow weight is 1,650?

Just wondering if this 1,650 falls in line with the advertised 5,000 and others expectations. I see with braking system it is 5,000 though.

What do you all think? Is 1,650 typical of what you might tow without a braking system or should it be more? What’s a U-haul trailer loaded with furniture for example. Should I be concerned?

Mrdubean1

Reaction score
1650! I purchased my Telluride under the assumption that I could tow 5,000 pounds, trailer brakes or not! That’s what was advertised many times!
Anyone know a good lawyer?

Theauharem

Reaction score
1650! I purchased my Telluride under the assumption that I could tow 5,000 pounds, trailer brakes or not! That’s what was advertised many times!
A lawyer wouldn't help. It's generally state law to have a brake controller for over 1500-2000 lbs. And as long as you have one, the Telly can do 5K lbs. What's unfortunate is kia didn't provide a 7pin connection.

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score

Hahaha. All the disclaimers and explanations are in user manual. You're funny.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Your Telluride can tow 5,000 lbs with a 4-pin if you use a trailer that has a hydraulic brake system (also called a surge brake system). That’s how UHaul gets away with renting 4,400 lb trailers with just a 4-pin. See my post below. The catch is that most people would agree that an electric trailer brake is better/safer and that’s when you need a 7-pin connector and brake controller.

Last edited:

Big45ACP

Reaction score
I was ready to take ownership of a new Telluride, then I found there was no way to actually tow 5k without voiding the warranty... Two dealers told me that adding an aftermarket 7pin and brake controller may void both electrical and corrosion warranty.

pbinde

Reaction score
I was ready to take ownership of a new Telluride, then I found there was no way to actually tow 5k without voiding the warranty... Two dealers told me that adding an aftermarket 7pin and brake controller may void both electrical and corrosion warranty.
This guy did it with a vehicle lent to him from a dealership. Around the 11:25 minute mark

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Unless the 7pin connector or the brake controller caused a problem you are protected by a federal law known as the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act where they still have to provide you warranty coverage.

PaulD

Reaction score
Did anyone really expect the tow vehicle's brakes to handle more than double the weight of the vehicle itself? Seriously?

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
If anyone is serious about not wanting to go aftermarket for a 7pin and electric brake controller, you could put a hydraulic surge brake kit on the trailer you are pulling.

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
More detail from my post . . . Electronic Trailer brakes are connected to the vehicles 7-pin to trigger a hydraulic pump that sends brake fluid to the trailer brakes when you press the vehicle brakes.

There is another method, you can put a surge (non-electric) hydraulic actuator that uses the vehicle momentum to send brake fluid to apply the trailer brakes.

Using trailers with a surge actuator allows you to just use the 4-pin IF you don’t want to install the 7-pin and electric brake controller. And it is legal in all states, that’s how UHaul does it. I think you can add a non-electric surge actuator to a trailer for less than a professionally installed brake controller and 7-pin connection.

PaulD

Reaction score
More detail from my post . . . Electronic Trailer brakes are connected to the vehicles 7-pin to trigger a hydraulic pump that sends brake fluid to the trailer brakes when you press the vehicle brakes.

There is another method, you can put a surge (non-electric) hydraulic actuator that uses the vehicle momentum to send brake fluid to apply the trailer brakes.

Using trailers with a surge actuator allows you to just use the 4-pin IF you don’t want to install the 7-pin and electric brake controller. And it is legal in all states, that’s how UHaul does it. I think you can add a non-electric surge actuator to a trailer for less than a professionally installed brake controller and 7-pin connection.
The electric trailer brakes I've seen are not hydraulic. They energize an electromagnet that engages the shoes.

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The electric trailer brakes I've seen are not hydraulic. They energize an electromagnet that engages the shoes.
Ah you are correct. The kit I saw was an electric over hydraulic which still requires a brake controller. So to do the full conversion you would need to also replace the brake shoes to mechanical.

tbo01

Reaction score
Hi all, Still waiting here in Houston for dealer inventory (non existent) before getting our White / Gray AWD S model with tow package. I have quick questioned regarding the GCWR. This is gross weight of vehicle and trailer and likely found in the manual. The GVWR for 8 passenger seating is ~5917lb, per Web site, towing capacity is 5000lbs,Tongue weight now confirmed at 500lbs!

GCWR could be 10,917lbs total, however as we all know, the GCWR gets down graded by weight of vehicle occupants, cargo, hitch weight. How much this is, varies from manufacturer to manufacturer noting SUVS are not necessarily identical to pickups where only 160lb driver and fuel is included. The Kia Telluride will be replacing our 2007 165k mile Mazda CX 9 which still tows our 2009 Star Craft Travelstar 18RB Hybrid trailer with gross weight of 3500lbs. The Mazda allowed for 3500lbs trailer plus ~500lbs in tow vehicle before hitting GCVR.

Appreciate any feedback on Telluride's overall capacity (GCVW) for 5000lb trailer and occupants.
Any thoughts on Higher GVW rating of 7 seater vs 8 seater, noting vehicle weight difference is small, as well as use of weight distribution system. Thanks Tom

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Hi all, Still waiting here in Houston for dealer inventory (non existent) before getting our White / Gray AWD S model with tow package. I have quick questioned regarding the GCWR. This is gross weight of vehicle and trailer and likely found in the manual. The GVWR for 8 passenger seating is ~5917lb, per Web site, towing capacity is 5000lbs,Tongue weight now confirmed at 500lbs!

GCWR could be 10,917lbs total, however as we all know, the GCWR gets down graded by weight of vehicle occupants, cargo, hitch weight. How much this is, varies from manufacturer to manufacturer noting SUVS are not necessarily identical to pickups where only 160lb driver and fuel is included. The Kia Telluride will be replacing our 2007 165k mile Mazda CX 9 which still tows our 2009 Star Craft Travelstar 18RB Hybrid trailer with gross weight of 3500lbs. The Mazda allowed for 3500lbs trailer plus ~500lbs in tow vehicle before hitting GCVR.

Appreciate any feedback on Telluride's overall capacity (GCVW) for 5000lb trailer and occupants.
Any thoughts on Higher GVW rating of 7 seater vs 8 seater, noting vehicle weight difference is small, as well as use of weight distribution system. Thanks Tom
There is a good description of how to calculate relevant weights for towing and cargo in the owner's manual. You can find it on this site if you haven't found it already.

The GVWR is higher for 8 seater according to specifications website (5917 vs 5736 lb) and curb weight is lower.

Manual states that total vehicle capacity (which must include trailer tounge weight + cargo + passengers) is higher for 8 seater. The worked example in manual explains how to calculate for your needs - for example if you're wanting to tow 5000 lbs with a 500lb tounge weight, then you have to subtract that tounge weight from the vehicle capacity. Then subtract your passengers and cargo and ensure that you're under the limit.

It certainly doesn't have tow capacity of a truck, but should be fine with your 3500lb trailer. Other members have reported success towing that weight.

Seems like bench with AWD is best towing option if needing the extra vehicle capacity.

Last edited: