No soliciting permitted.

Towing Capacity Official Update

wcarlson40

Reaction score
Manual states that total vehicle capacity (trailer tounge weight + cargo + passengers) is higher for 8 seater.

Why do we think this would be? Is it because the weight of the bench is less than the 2 captain's chairs?

jw_tx21

SUSTAINING MEMBER
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Why do we think this would be? Is it because the weight of the bench is less than the 2 captain's chairs?

The curb weight is lower, so I would assume that the bench weight is less than the Captain's Chairs. Maybe there is some additional weight distribution system? Because the 8 pass GVRW is higher than 7 pass GVRW if I read specs correctly.

Seems like bench is a better option if needing maximum capacity.

raydog9379

Reaction score
The curb weight is lower, so I would assume that the bench weight is less than the Captain's Chairs. Maybe there is some additional weight distribution system? Because the 8 pass GVRW is higher than 7 pass GVRW if I read specs correctly.

Seems like bench is a better option if needing maximum capacity.
Is the bench heated? I would think the heating and cooling (for those equipped) on the captains adds some level of weight along with electronics required to support. Wouldn't be that much I wouldn't think, but who knows.

NCBill

Reaction score
"1650! I purchased my Telluride under the assumption that I could tow 5,000 pounds, trailer brakes or not! That’s what was advertised many times!
Anyone know a good lawyer?"

Here in North Carolina, brakes are required for any trailer, 1000 pounds or more. Surge brakes are one option.

I would never want to tow a 5,000 pound trailer without some type of trailer brakes. Going (pulling a trailer) it typically not the first problem. The first problem is stopping, particularly on a longer down grade.

Last edited:

qwikhit

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Seems handy; nice find

PittPa

Reaction score
I towed my 911 for thousands of miles with a Trailex trailer with surge brakes and a 4 pin. The combined weight of the car and trailer was about 3500 pounds. I thought the set up worked very well and on occasional heavy braking you can feel the trailer wheels bite. I completely empathize with the ones that trailer with their new Telly but if I was pushing the limits of the towing amounts, I would look towards a crew cab or other chassis on frame vehicle with limits of 7500 despite what was in Kia's advertising.

Attachments

• tow 004.jpg
    tow 004.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 17

KROD

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Well they seemed to have fixed the trailer brake issue for 2021 I just picked up a 2021 Telluride SX AWD w/ tow package for my father and to my surprise the 2021 Tellurides with tow package now bring a 7-pin connector with that option along with a nice pigtail to wire up your choice of an aftermarket brake controller and simply plug into a connector up front under the steering wheel panels. So Kia has definitely listened to the complaints of 2020 telluride owners sad thing is it doesn't resolve the issue for anyone with a 2020 that wants a nice clean factory 7-pin connection but it's nice to see they are listening.

PaulD

Reaction score
I towed my 911 for thousands of miles with a Trailex trailer with surge brakes and a 4 pin. The combined weight of the car and trailer was about 3500 pounds. I thought the set up worked very well and on occasional heavy braking you can feel the trailer wheels bite. I completely empathize with the ones that trailer with their new Telly but if I was pushing the limits of the towing amounts, I would look towards a crew cab or other chassis on frame vehicle with limits of 7500 despite what was in Kia's advertising.

Can I ask how much the trailer weighs? I have an '86 911 (Carrera 3.2, looks similar to yours) and it weighs about 2800 with a full tank.

PittPa

Reaction score
Can I ask how much the trailer weighs? I have an '86 911 (Carrera 3.2, looks similar to yours) and it weighs about 2800 with a full tank.
I think it was around 800lbs. I could easily manhandle it around a driveway and parking lot! I still have the 911 its an 89 with 3.4l and lots of changes.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

PaulD

Reaction score
I think it was around 800lbs. I could easily manhandle it around a driveway and parking lot! I still have the 911 its an 89 with 3.4l and lots of changes.

Very nice. Mine is basically stock. I looked up Trailex's site. The small version is 715lbs and the medium is 845lbs. That's pretty impressive.

PittPa

Reaction score
What was impressive is that I bought it used, used for 10 years and then sold it for more that I paid for it!!

PaulD

Reaction score
What was impressive is that I bought it used, used for 10 years and then sold it for more that I paid for it!!
I have an aluminum utility trailer now. Aluminum really is the way to go for a trailer between the lack of rust and less wasted tow capacity on the trailer itself.

Alohatl

Reaction score
Well they seemed to have fixed the trailer brake issue for 2021 I just picked up a 2021 Telluride SX AWD w/ tow package for my father and to my surprise the 2021 Tellurides with tow package now bring a 7-pin connector with that option along with a nice pigtail to wire up your choice of an aftermarket brake controller and simply plug into a connector up front under the steering wheel panels. So Kia has definitely listened to the complaints of 2020 telluride owners sad thing is it doesn't resolve the issue for anyone with a 2020 that wants a nice clean factory 7-pin connection but it's nice to see they are listening.
Does Kia offer a 4pin-to-7pin upgrade option for 2020 owners I wonder??