You've found the busiest Telluride community online!

Please register and become a member. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Towing capacity

Tasha

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I see that the Telluride can tow 5000 pounds. Does this include the vehicle contents or is it just the load attached to the hitch? Thanks.

Clemson1985

Reaction score
Can the tow package be ordered on all trim levels? When I built an EX on the KIA.com site the tow package was flagged unavailable.

BrianF

Reaction score
I have the tow package on my EX. Not sure about availability on the LX and S though.

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I have the tow package on my EX. Not sure about availability on the LX and S though.
The tow option (hitch and 4-wire) can be added to LX and S. The tow package is the tow option with added self leveling rear shocks and that can be added added to EX and SX. However all have the same 351 lb tongue weight limitation.

Clemson1985

Reaction score
Thanks. I really just want the tow package to install a rack to carry coolers and such. Not sure whether to order the tow package or just install an aftermarket one. Does anyone have a good picture of the factory tow package? Does the middle portion of the bottom of the rear bumper come off or is it mounted under it?

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Thanks. I really just want the tow package to install a rack to carry coolers and such. Not sure whether to order the tow package or just install an aftermarket one. Does anyone have a good picture of the factory tow package? Does the middle portion of the bottom of the rear bumper come off or is it mounted under it?
It comes off and there is a plastic housing that replaces it. If you don’t need the wiring you can get away with just the tow hitch and the cover. Kia 2020 Telluride Accessories Guide. Or if you wait a few more weeks there should be aftermarket options for cheaper that might hang below the bumper.

bogie

Reaction score
If you don’t need the wiring you can get away with just the tow hitch and the cover.
Sorry - pet peeve here - hitch racks typically don't come with lights -- for your safety, you should install run/brake/turn lights. Those things extend back from a vehicle a fair distance, are generally black, with no lights or reflectors and mounted low - just asking someone to run into it. Bike carriers generally block some or all of the vehicle's lights - so they should definitely have lights added. LED lights (or strips) are inexpensive and easy to mount...

OK - off my soap box on this one...

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Sorry - pet peeve here - hitch racks typically don't come with lights -- for your safety, you should install run/brake/turn lights. Those things extend back from a vehicle a fair distance, are generally black, with no lights or reflectors and mounted low - just asking someone to run into it. Bike carriers generally block some or all of the vehicle's lights - so they should definitely have lights added. LED lights (or strips) are inexpensive and easy to mount...

OK - off my soap box on this one
I think it’s a great idea. But not a legal requirement and I have not seen approved DOT lights built into the popular hitch mounted bike carriers.

bogie

Reaction score
I think it’s a great idea. But not a legal requirement and I have not seen approved DOT lights built into the popular hitch mounted bike carriers.
Agreed - kinda the point...

Since not a requirement, they would be considered supplemental lights which don't require DOT approval. However, there are many DOT approved lights that could be mounted to the baskets or bike racks for safety and visibility.