No soliciting permitted.

towing

Sleepman

Reaction score
we plan to tow a #3ooo lb. trailer next week on flat lands, but our Telle is new with 500 miles. Should we cancel or just drive slower, and stop more? Book recomends 1200 break in miles before towing. Thanks for Ideas

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Tellthemride

Reaction score
Drive another 700 miles before next week?

Sleepman

Reaction score
ya I know, I feel mixed about this. I cant, but dont want to harm the car either. It will be a 250 mile easy interstate drive one way. I think I will drive about 60 mph and watch that the temp stays in low normal range. And I will stop about every 75 miles and let the systems cool. I dont see how that light duty will cause harm. I wonder if the break in is for heavy towing at high speeds. This is after all, a KIA and they are built like a Honda or Toyota for quality.??

alexdrums

Reaction score
ya I know, I feel mixed about this. I cant, but dont want to harm the car either. It will be a 250 mile easy interstate drive one way. I think I will drive about 60 mph and watch that the temp stays in low normal range. And I will stop about every 75 miles and let the systems cool. I dont see how that light duty will cause harm. I wonder if the break in is for heavy towing at high speeds. This is after all, a KIA and they are built like a Honda or Toyota for quality.??
Good plan, it should be fine

PassingTime

Reaction score
Just wondering why you would jeopardize the recommendation and possible warranty of the manufacture by towing during the break in period of the engine? Just saying. .....

Martin Kodiak

Working Man
Reaction score
Literally.

Just go drive the car through the breakin period this week. You can drive 700 miles in a day. Go do that in a week, then you will not be violating the warranty of your brand new rig.

I also think things should be fine, but what if you have an accident? What if you miss something in process and it causes a failure?

TheNip73

Reaction score
The point in waiting to tow is to get things worn in/seated/mated.

I advise against towing.

I also advise against a rushed break-in. It is not about mileage. It is about varied load on the vehicle. Starts, stops, freeway speed driving and city driving mixed is the way to go.

alexdrums

Reaction score
Literally.

Just go drive the car through the breakin period this week. You can drive 700 miles in a day. Go do that in a week, then you will not be violating the warranty of your brand new rig.

I also think things should be fine, but what if you have an accident? What if you miss something in process and it causes a failure?
I would rather void the warranty than drive 700 miles in one day!!

Sleepman

Reaction score
Those are great points. All of them...except driving 100 mph for 7 hours. I am not doing that again! lol I am canceling the camper trip for the safety of the drivetrain. I was tempting fate.

Sleepman

Reaction score
My Telluride is so awsome, it drives so smooth and quiet, I almost got a Honda Pilot, but this cult car arrived and previous guy decided to pass on it. Lucky day for me.

Sleepman

Reaction score
Literally.

thanks for the insight, I was having a weak moment i guess..I dont need to push the limits(even though its my MO..lol)

Sleepman

Reaction score
If you are going 100 MPH you can getter done in 7 hours?

I have done 700+ more than two dozen times in my life. It just isn't that bad and can be quite fun.

700 in a week is easy.
LOL, not doing that again!!! That is a great Idea, What could go Wrong. With all the driver assists on the car it could be done while napping:)

alexdrums

Reaction score
True that!, was jusst having a weak minute in my logic. (as usual anymore, now that im Retired)
It’s hard to drive long distances when you’re older. I drove 16 hours from New Mexico to Dallas once...in a ‘72 Datsun pickup with a bench seat! If I did that at my age now it might kill me.

Sleepman

Reaction score
It’s hard to drive long distances when you’re older. I drove 16 hours from New Mexico to Dallas once...in a ‘72 Datsun pickup with a bench seat! If I did that at my age now it might kill me.
Wow, I have been there, 73 datsun pick up though. haha grew up on a ranch in nebraska and had a 72 chevy pickup. it was a great cruiser. had a 396 and auto. 80 mph all day without a blink.

Kwim

Reaction score
the fact of towing will not affect the warranty in any way. The warranty can only be denied if the manufacturer proves that the towing was the result of a breakdown.

300 kilograms is a ridiculous weight, this weight can be achieved by people and suitcases.

Sleepman

Reaction score
the fact of towing will not affect the warranty in any way. The warranty can only be denied if the manufacturer proves that the towing was the result of a breakdown.

300 kilograms is a ridiculous weight, this weight can be achieved by people and suitcases.
Thanks for that tip! I wondered if that would be an issue. It states its break in recomendations not absolute