No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

Trailer towing lighting question

bogie

Reaction score
Never got anyone to answer my question in the thread I posted about the Hitch Light I added...

Hoping by starting a different thread with a better title, might get someone to help out...

OK - one thing I discovered last evening... it appears when using 'Auto Hold' the regular (stock) 3 brake lights stay on in auto hold when you release the brake after coming to a stop (as they should)... the hitch light brake function does not...? Implies if towing a trailer and using auto hold (let's not debate if that's something you should do) the trailer lights would not show brake lights if releasing the brake... not a good thing.

Anyone tow a trailer that can confirm or deny this activity...

I don't mind for the hitch light operation - but, that would be unsafe with a trailer...

Thanks.
If someone with a hooked up trailer, using the 4 pin connector, could have a friend stand behind the trailer, then test:
1) in park - hit the brakes - trailer lights should function
2) in drive, with foot on the brake - trailer lights should function
3) in drive, with foot on the brake, press Auto-Hold button, verify auto hold took over, release brake pedal - do BOTH the trailer lights and vehicle brake lights continue to function??
---- the hitch light, plugged into the 4-pin connector, does not function in scenario 3)... hitch light is effectively taking the place of trailer lights and should stay activated if Auto Hold is activated and holding the vehicle and trailer...

Any help appreciated

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

bogie

Reaction score
Would like to hear an answer on this one and if you plug into 4pin harness does it disconnect back up cam and rear/side sensors(assuming you have trailer so it turns off as to not always getting false reads?)
My hitch light is plugged into the 4-pin and rear camera & sensors continue to work... can't imagine it would be different if a trailer is plugged in - how's it gonna know... but, I guess we won't know until someone answers this thread...

Tunes4us

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
My hitch light is plugged into the 4-pin and rear camera & sensors continue to work... can't imagine it would be different if a trailer is plugged in - how's it gonna know... but, I guess we won't know until someone answers this thread...
Well if yours works with light that answers my question on Telluride. Some cars defeat those when you plug into harness(might only be on 7pin plugs?). I just purchased a hitch carrier, comes tomorrow, so I‘m wondering if its bouncing around will it trip lane and collision sensors. Will let you know after I play with it over the weekend

Tunes4us

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Well with cargo carrier on, my backup cam only sees the bag. Backup sensors always on but the side lane markers are not effected so I’m happy with that. I think I’m going to order a light bar for the carrier so give me few days for that and I’ll let you know about the auto hold brake and if lights come on

Attachments