No soliciting permitted.

Truxx Lift with Self Leveling Shocks

DS2 Outdoors

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has added a Truxx Lift with the self leveling shocks? If so does it balance out after driving?

AGrey

Reaction score
I pick up my SX with the tow package in just over a week, and have the Truxxx lift on the way, along with some new tires. I was doing some reading on this self-leveling rear suspension and found a thread about Nivomat components. Apparently our self-leveling has a mechanical nivomat "shock" that adjusts ride height under load. The problem is that the system is component and height specific, so installing the lift puts the Nivomat 'shock' out of proper position full time, which is likely causing the sag problem...

Looks like I have more reading to do.

Last edited:
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

TxAggie

Telluride Junkie
Reaction score
I pick up my SX with the tow package in just over a week, and have the Truxxx lift on the way, along with some new tires. I was doing some reading on this self-leveling rear suspension and found a thread about Nivomat components. Apparently our self-leveling has a mechanical nivomat "shock" that adjusts ride hide under load. The problem is that the system is component and height specific, so installing the lift puts the Nivomat 'shock' out of proper position full time, which is likely causing the sag problem...

Looks like I have more reading to do.
Following...

AGrey

Reaction score
From what I have read, in my mind the cheapest and cleanest solution would be a shock extender. I won't be able to confirm until middle of next week when I pick up the car, but I am optimistic that this could be a relatively simple fix. Fingers crossed.

Spyka

Reaction score
From what I have read, in my mind the cheapest and cleanest solution would be a shock extender. I won't be able to confirm until middle of next week when I pick up the car, but I am optimistic that this could be a relatively simple fix. Fingers crossed.
Following

TxAggie

Telluride Junkie
Reaction score
So I sent an e-mail to Truxxx summarizing some of the issues with the rear sitting lower than the front after the Truxxx lift install. In their response , they stated that "the issue is the install...you 100% MUST disconnect the battery and take note of the arm position. All of the info is included in the instructions, most people don't read them. The self levelling system is nothing new, it has been used by GM since 2000, while the system may look different it uses a system we are familiar with the last 20 years we have been in business. Also the kit is designed to make the truck sit level, being level sometimes gives the impression of low in the back depends on angle photo was taken. We have made kits slightly taller in the rear for some dealerships who load up the truck with towing accessories."

Maybe someone who has done the install can comment on this? I may crawl under mine and see what the "arm position" is referring to.

AGrey

Reaction score
Received my Telluride, loving it so far. I installed the K&N CAI system, love the sound at WOT. The Borla exhaust just arrived today and is an easy bolt on. Used the same rims but swapped the tires to a set of 245/60r20 Toyo Open Country AT3. Also installed the Truxxx lift yesterday, love the stance and everything about the ride so far.

That said, there is definitely an issue with the Truxxx lift and the self-leveling suspension. I appreciate the fact that Truxxx has been the first and only manufacturer to provide us with a lift option, but they are definitely lacking when it comes to the Nivomat system. Nivomat components are designed to work at a certain opperating height in conjunction with the spring, as they are not coil overs. By adding approximately 1 3/4 inches to the spring height, nothing is done to address the new height of the Nivomat shock. I am going to have to figure out a way to fabricate a shock extender to address the additional height that is now required. Hopefully I can come up with something this week but it may take longer. The washers they suggest could help are not the answer, nor is the simple 'disconnect the battery' line sufficient. I did this step, but it still ignores the fact that the Nivomat is now almost 2 inches longer than it should be during normal ride height.

Last edited:

TxAggie

Telluride Junkie
Reaction score
Received my Telluride, loving it so far. I installed the K&N CAI system, love the sound at WAT. The Borla exhaust just arrived today and is an easy bolt on. Used the same rims but swapped the tires to a set of 245/60r20 Toyo Open Country AT3. Also installed the Truxxx lift yesterday, love the stance and everything about the ride so far.

That said, there is definitely an issue with the Truxxx lift and the self-leveling suspension. I appreciate the fact that Truxxx has been the first and only manufacturer to provide us with a lift option, but they are definitely lacking when it comes to the Nivomat system. Nivomat components are designed to work at a certain opperating height in conjunction with the spring, as they are not coil overs. By adding approximately 1 3/4 inches to the spring height, nothing is done to address the new height of the Nivomat shock. I am going to have to figure out a way to fabricate a shock extender to address the additional height that is now required. Hopefully I can come up with something this week but it may take longer. The washers they suggest could help are not the answer, nor is the simple 'disconnect the battery' line sufficient. I did this step, but it still ignores the fact that the Nivomat is now almost 2 inches longer than it should be during normal ride height.
I don't have the lift yet, but can you contact Truxxx and explain this to them? I was emailing back and forth with them and they seemed easy enough to talk to.

LoboInCO97

Reaction score
Received my Telluride, loving it so far. I installed the K&N CAI system, love the sound at WOT. The Borla exhaust just arrived today and is an easy bolt on. Used the same rims but swapped the tires to a set of 245/60r20 Toyo Open Country AT3. Also installed the Truxxx lift yesterday, love the stance and everything about the ride so far.

Well shoot. Wish I had read this post earlier. I did EXACTLY what you did, although I stuck with my original 20" Nightfall rims and went with a 265/50/20 Toyo Open Country AT3. If I'm not towing anything other than what I load in my tow hitch cargo carrier, will I notice a difference? Telly Lift 3.png

TxAggie

Telluride Junkie
Reaction score

I had another conversation with Truxxx regarding the self-leveling shocks. They said to give them a call at 855.668.0541 to discuss and they can help you out to make the proper adjustments.

Txvic

Reaction score
I had another conversation with Truxxx regarding the self-leveling shocks. They said to give them a call at 855.668.0541 to discuss and they can help you out to make the proper adjustments.
I called truxxx and asked if they had a solution to the rear sitting about 3/4”-1” lower in the rear. I had to take mine to a dealer to adjust headlights as I couldn’t drive at night without every other vehicle flashing me because they thought I was driving with my brights on.

I have SX AWD with truxxx lift. I swapped out the stock 20” wheels for 18” so I could get a more aggressive all terrain tire. I probably went too big. Still dealing with a lot of rubbing. I have 265/65/18.

Attachments

• F8CA7579-26E9-4072-AA56-ED461F815BB7.jpeg
    F8CA7579-26E9-4072-AA56-ED461F815BB7.jpeg
    285.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 89E6572A-1185-470A-A1DD-8C6C7BB13E5D.jpeg
    89E6572A-1185-470A-A1DD-8C6C7BB13E5D.jpeg
    546.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

TxAggie

Telluride Junkie
Reaction score
I called truxxx and asked if they had a solution to the rear sitting about 3/4”-1” lower in the rear. I had to take mine to a dealer to adjust headlights as I couldn’t drive at night without every other vehicle flashing me because they thought I was driving with my brights on.

I have EX AWD with truxxx lift. I swapped out the stock 20” wheels for 18” so I could get a more aggressive all terrain tire. I probably went too big. Still dealing with a lot of rubbing. I have 265/65/18.
Did they have a solution?

Txvic

Reaction score
Did they have a solution?
No. They acted as if this was the first they heard of it. I mentioned that I had read on this forum that other people were having similar issues and had posted about it. I was given an email address to send pics. I took photos yesterday and will send them today. I’ll update the forum with any suggested solution or feedback I receive.

AGrey

Reaction score
I spoke with Truxxx and was very impressed with their attention on this matter. There was a misunderstanding about the type of rear suspension that comes with the self-leveling package. Ultimately, there is a gap that likely should be addressed for both performance and ride height.

I have scoured the internet and searched all types of aftermarket products, purchasing quite a few shock extenders designed for other vehicles. From my searching, I have found two possible solutions that would extend the shock length from the top mounting area. At this time I believe any lower shock extender would have to be fabricated.

What I found is a combination of extenders for the Hyundai Tucson. I have a good feeling about them, but they are being ordered from Eastern Europe so I likely wont have them for some time. If anyone has experience with CAD design and access to CNC type bolt production let me know, otherwise I await the delivery.

TxAggie

Telluride Junkie
Reaction score
No. They acted as if this was the first they heard of it. I mentioned that I had read on this forum that other people were having similar issues and had posted about it. I was given an email address to send pics. I took photos yesterday and will send them today. I’ll update the forum with any suggested solution or feedback I receive.
Interesting...the guy I was chatting with was Darren Pulling and he seemed like he knew what he was talking about and knew about the issue and the solution.

I spoke with Truxxx and was very impressed with their attention on this matter. There was a misunderstanding about the type of rear suspension that comes with the self-leveling package. Ultimately, there is a gap that likely should be addressed for both performance and ride height.

I have scoured the internet and searched all types of aftermarket products, purchasing quite a few shock extenders designed for other vehicles. From my searching, I have found two possible solutions that would extend the shock length from the top mounting area. At this time I believe any lower shock extender would have to be fabricated.

What I found is a combination of extenders for the Hyundai Tucson. I have a good feeling about them, but they are being ordered from Eastern Europe so I likely wont have them for some time. If anyone has experience with CAD design and access to CNC type bolt production let me know, otherwise I await the delivery.
Thank you for continuing to look into a solution. Would Truxxx be able to come up with a solution that could be offered with the lift kit? Or was that even discussed?

AGrey

Reaction score
Interesting...the guy I was chatting with was Darren Pulling and he seemed like he knew what he was talking about and knew about the issue and the solution.

Thank you for continuing to look into a solution. Would Truxxx be able to come up with a solution that could be offered with the lift kit? Or was that even discussed?
I will be touching base with Darren in about a week to discuss more, I am not sure if they will be able to provide a solution but we will see.

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I have a Truxxx 2" kit waiting to be installed on an SX with self leveling. I was going to do the install this week but am now holding off while I watch this thread. If you think an additional call to Truxxx would help move things along, let me know and I will call and add my name to the list of customers looking for a solution.
Thanks for working on this and posting here!

-Sean

TxAggie

Telluride Junkie
Reaction score
I will be touching base with Darren in about a week to discuss more, I am not sure if they will be able to provide a solution but we will see.
Any new developments either with Truxxx directly or with the extenders for the Hyundai Tucson? My wife really wants me to get the lift kit, but she isn't interested if the rear is going to sag. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.