Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Turned off from snobbish sales people

Ragmalibu

Reaction score
I had some questions and comments to add to this thread but when I see a founding member tell us we are out of touch by assuming dealers are already making money of all of what they get from Kia, I think I will just take my chances and deal with a dealer that IS concerned with more than the sales of a truck.

Husker Soze

Reaction score
I had some questions and comments to add to this thread but when I see a founding father tell us we are out of touch by assuming dealers are already making money of all of what they get from Kia, I think I will just take my chances and deal with a dealer that IS concerned with more than the sales of a truck.
The subject of this thread was about snobbish sales people. And I'm pretty sure most dealers have folks under their employ that fits under this category.

The issue with this is ... the brand (Kia) sometimes suffers the wrath of the consumer by not patronizing that brand due to the customers' bad experience. That's where other brands excel (e.g. Lexus), they could put out an average featured car, and customers would buy it due to loyalty and to some extent great dealer experience.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Tompa

Reaction score
I completely understand. I'm in the same situation in South Florida. All the dealers are charging 3k to 5k over the MSRP. The only problem is that I was looking at the Honda Pilot when I found out about the Telluride. The 2019 Pilot are on sale due to the impending new 2020 Pilot. I'm not sure if I should buy the Pilot which I was quoted about 18-20% off the MSRP. I really don't need a car at this moment but I hope that KIA will increase the production of the Telluride and the prices become more competitive by March of 2020.
I would never do business in any shape or form with a dealership that charges a penny over MSRP. Their dealership names should be made onto a public list. Finally, it is a vehicle to take you from point A to Point B. It isn't going away. It is not one of a kind. Wait until the dust settles. I too want this vehicle but I refuse to be taken advantage of. Certainly not business savvy to pay more than the manufacturer suggests. Just ranting. I have stepped away from looking at the brochure every day. It helps.

mrmac

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I had some questions and comments to add to this thread but when I see a founding member tell us we are out of touch by assuming dealers are already making money of all of what they get from Kia, I think I will just take my chances and deal with a dealer that IS concerned with more than the sales of a truck.
I have a set of dealership financial statements sitting in front of me right now. I have to determine if they are financially sound enough for me to authorize my bank to do business with them. As the CFO, this falls on me because nobody understands it better.

Please note, in no way do I suggest feeling sorry for auto dealers. Many of them will put the screws to the uneducated buyer without even a second thought. Yet, it is shocking to me just how much money it costs to run a dealership.

We commonly think they are rolling in the dough. That is only true for the large, high-volume dealers. Like most businesses, they don't turn a profit until they cover their overhead. For this Nissan dealership I am reviewing that figure averages $1,000,000 per month. Once they sell their 350th vehicle in that month, they start putting profit to the bottom line. This is why they mark-up vehicles whenever they can.

Thus, while the dealer earns a positive margin on 95% of all transactions, that does not mean they are making money.

I put this information and copious other tidbits along the way to help others understand the dealership (adversary) as good as possible before going in to negotiate. I find it easiest to win in the deal-making process when I have all the information the dealer has. When it came to the Telluride, I had more information than the dealer did.

Further, value and price are different things. The dealer values cash and the opportunity to make cash. Make the salesperson and management invest a lot of time (hours) into you. Don't talk price right away. Ignore the price on the vehicle as it is only "an offer to sell", nothing more or less. Drive the Telluride for 60+ miles. Make the salesperson think he has you. Then start negotiating because they are all in. (all this time the salesperson has lost the opportunity to sell other vehicles, he is hungry in every way)

When a dealer writes me an offer sheet, that is when I write down my terms (always 10% below MSRP, not including manufacturer incentives). Then negotiations begin. Do the back and forth couple times with very small increases toward invoice (93% or 95%of MSRP, depending on the manufacturer) on your counter-offers. By now they are all counting this one "sold". After the third back and forth, if they aren't getting close to your figure - WALK! Thank them for their time, but now you are going to go buy that Pilot tomorrow. You are tired, hungry and done messing with someone who doesn't seriously want to sell the car at a fair price.

The vast majority of the time this is where you win. You've shown you are a serious buyer and they've counted their chickens before hatching. They hate to lose a deal because they know that once a serious buyer walks, you will buy a vehicle, just from someone else. They can't afford to let you walk.

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The vast majority of the time this is where you win. You've shown you are a serious buyer and they've counted their chickens before hatching. They hate to lose a deal because they know that once a serious buyer walks, you will buy a vehicle, just from someone else. They can't afford to let you walk.
@mrmac offers sound advice once again. Some posts just need to be front and center for every new member... could really help Kia buyers. In many ways, buying a Kia is like buying a car back in the 90s... internet strategies aren't really working with Kia dealers and the Telluride (too little inventory to negotiate over e-mail / phone as someone else will walk in a buy the vehicle). Great strategies... and patience is necessary. Kia dealers (like all auto dealers) are also used to getting folks to focus only on payment.

Last edited:

NBC

Reaction score
@mrmac, is this the strategy you would use when ordering a vehicle, or would you use a different one? I am in no hurry, although I’d like a new vehicle sometime this winter. We have plenty of dealerships in our area, including Hyundai dealerships that sell the Palisade. Every other vehicle I’ve negotiated was bought off the lot, so this is new to me.

NBC

Reaction score
I’d like to add that I too, am not willing to pay more than MSRP, and would actually feel pretty rotten if I had to pay that, unless some incentives brought the price down some. My vehicle isn’t going to have greater value just because I paid more for it, after all.

Djorn2k

Reaction score
I have a set of dealership financial statements sitting in front of me right now. I have to determine if they are financially sound enough for me to authorize my bank to do business with them. As the CFO, this falls on me because nobody understands it better.

Please note, in no way do I suggest feeling sorry for auto dealers. Many of them will put the screws to the uneducated buyer without even a second thought. Yet, it is shocking to me just how much money it costs to run a dealership.

We commonly think they are rolling in the dough. That is only true for the large, high-volume dealers. Like most businesses, they don't turn a profit until they cover their overhead. For this Nissan dealership I am reviewing that figure averages $1,000,000 per month. Once they sell their 350th vehicle in that month, they start putting profit to the bottom line. This is why they mark-up vehicles whenever they can.

Thus, while the dealer earns a positive margin on 95% of all transactions, that does not mean they are making money.

I put this information and copious other tidbits along the way to help others understand the dealership (adversary) as good as possible before going in to negotiate. I find it easiest to win in the deal-making process when I have all the information the dealer has. When it came to the Telluride, I had more information than the dealer did.

Further, value and price are different things. The dealer values cash and the opportunity to make cash. Make the salesperson and management invest a lot of time (hours) into you. Don't talk price right away. Ignore the price on the vehicle as it is only "an offer to sell", nothing more or less. Drive the Telluride for 60+ miles. Make the salesperson think he has you. Then start negotiating because they are all in. (all this time the salesperson has lost the opportunity to sell other vehicles, he is hungry in every way)

When a dealer writes me an offer sheet, that is when I write down my terms (always 10% below MSRP, not including manufacturer incentives). Then negotiations begin. Do the back and forth couple times with very small increases toward invoice (93% or 95%of MSRP, depending on the manufacturer) on your counter-offers. By now they are all counting this one "sold". After the third back and forth, if they aren't getting close to your figure - WALK! Thank them for their time, but now you are going to go buy that Pilot tomorrow. You are tired, hungry and done messing with someone who doesn't seriously want to sell the car at a fair price.

This is exactly what I did. I tried the back and forth and they didn't budge then I bought the Pilot. I still have my hope that my next car is going to be Telluride in a year or two years from now when I decide to trade in my Camry.

I applaud you!!! Well said.

The Dude

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
It's totally true that when a car is hot dealers are going to sell to the highest bidder. It happens with every new car. If you want in on the action you have to deal with the arrogance or wait until the honey moon is over.

mrmac

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
@mrmac, is this the strategy you would use when ordering a vehicle, or would you use a different one? I am in no hurry, although I’d like a new vehicle sometime this winter. We have plenty of dealerships in our area, including Hyundai dealerships that sell the Palisade. Every other vehicle I’ve negotiated was bought off the lot, so this is new to me.
Not at all, great question.

When I wanted to order my Telluride I pulled up in a new 2019 BMW X5 I was test driving and asked for the general sales manager. I told him I was interested in the SX Prestige Telluride which wasn't even available for orders yet. I then told him I was going to buy this X5 unless he was willing to order the Telly the way I wanted and charge me invoice pricing. He didn't even know what invoice would be, but we agreed. I had him put it in writing, we both signed. Two weeks later (February 22nd), as soon as orders we opened up, he texted me so we went over and ordered two of them. We bought the second one the came in. He got to sell the first one to someone else at MSRP.

On orders, know what you are willing to pay. Invoice on the Telly is 95% of MSRP plus destination. For added drama, test drive a Pallisade (which you can find at lower than MSRP fairly easily I've been told) and stop into the Kia dealership. Tell them you'll order a Telluride at your price and secure it with a deposit in exchange for a guaranteed sales contract to be executed when your Telly is available, or you'll go buy the Pallisade. The order with a deposit is a low-risk, low cost sale for the dealer. This sale is basically gravy for them.

I've purchased 80 vehicles just for me, and am well over 100 when you add in those I've bought for my wife and daughters. If you add in those I've helped friends with, we are into multi-hundreds. I always get my price or I walk. You can too.

Kia of Muncie is a great place to deal with. Give them a call too. They are on the forum.

Good fortunes!

Last edited:

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
For added drama, test drive a Pallisade (which you can find at lower than MSRP fairly easily I've been told) and stop into the Kia dealership. Tell them you'll order a Telluride at your price and secure it with a deposit in exchange for a guaranteed sales contract to be executed when your Telly is available, or you'll go buy the Pallisade.
This could be even more fun if the Hyundai salesman rides along in the back as he did on my test drive... since they waste my time telling me what I already know, use them to bargain with Kia salesman! Now that could bring some added drama for sure, right?

Tellmeride

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
@mrmac, Not to knock on your terrific deal making abilities, but honestly you were able to pull this off simply because of one reason, and one reason alone.

Which is: you were one of the very first buyers, WAAAAY before the whole thing turned into a feeding frenzy. Nobody, I mean NOBODY, not even up and down the foodchain at KIA knew this was going to happen. You were so at the right place and at the right time. Nothing more and nothing less. Try this tactic again now and see what happens.

I had always emailed dealerships and say: I will do $500 over invoice on this car that I am going to order. Be it a Nissan, X3, X5, or whatever, it always worked.

Supply and demand skewed this whole game up for the Tellmeride. Just MHO, don't call me a BUM aight?

mrmac

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
@mrmac, Not to knock on your terrific deal making abilities, but honestly you were able to pull this off simply because of one reason, and one reason alone.

Which is: you were one of the very first buyers, WAAAAY before the whole thing turned into a feeding frenzy. Nobody, I mean NOBODY, not even up and down the foodchain at KIA knew this was going to happen. You were so at the right place and at the right time. Nothing more and nothing less. Try this tactic again now and see what happens.

I had always emailed dealerships and say: I will do $500 over invoice on this car that I am going to order. Be it a Nissan, X3, X5, or whatever, it always worked.

Supply and demand skewed this whole game up for the Tellmeride. Just MHO, don't call me a BUM aight?
Lol, no you're not a bum.

I just spent an hour in my Kia's GM office. Although they have a $2,690.00 market adjustment posted, he will still sell at and below MSRP.
if you're close to El Paso, maybe I can help...

BTW, we closed on the purchase of our Telluride on June 28th, well into the crazy fray. Even-still, I helped another local buyer here in August order a Black Copper SXP at Invoice + $500.00. It can be done.

Last edited:

Katiedunning

Reaction score
Well if you are wanted one of ours we aren’t marking any of them up! Please let me know if you are interested?
Aaron, would you be able to screen shot the current dealer.com ‘s current OLP/CBP rebate. I pick up my car tomorrow and the dealer says the 1000$ one ended on sept3, even though I placed the order June 6.
Than you.
Katie

Tellmeride

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Well if I was calling the shots as to whether dealer XYZ gets approval for a loan or not, the GM or the owner better be kissing my arse and hooking me up with deals. Know what I’m sayin?

You sir certainly has advantages that others 99.99% of the buyers don’t.

mrmac

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Well if I was calling the shots as to whether dealer XYZ gets approval for a loan or not, the GM or the owner better be kissing my arse and hooking me up with deals. Know what I’m sayin?

You sir certainly has advantages that others 99.99% of the buyers don’t.
The dealer has no idea what I do or who I work for. I keep it that way. If I didn't, I'd never be able to buy a car in my market, that is true.

I was there for an issue with the leather on my driver's seat in my Stinger GT2.

SC300ES

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Now the question is....80 cars? How often do you change cars and why? Aren't you losing tons of money on the trades?

On top of that, all the times I had to sit at a dealer and negotiate were aggravating and a waste of my time. I can't imagine doing that 80 plus times.

mrmac

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Now the question is....80 cars? How often do you change cars and why? Aren't you losing tons of money on the trades?

On top of that, all the times I had to sit at a dealer and negotiate were aggravating and a waste of my time. I can't imagine doing that 80 plus times.
Yes, I have a problem in that I love cars. I'm an addict. I had to become very good at buying right and get an excellent paying job to support my habit

Trading a car is mostly a very bad proposition. The vast majority of the time I sell at retail to private buyers vs trading, unless the dealer gives me a value I don't think I can attain on my own.

A few times I've come close to hitting the limit of cars I could sell before having to get a dealer license.

I've had my Stinger for 15 months now, which is a personal best. I'm still loving it and wasn't tempted to let it go until this morning when I went head to head with some model of Tesla. If it wasn't for my tune and some bad luck on his part he'd have beat me. Now, I am thinking I want something faster. Ugh