Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Uneven deceleration or doesn't slow down in a steady consistent and predictable manner

AzTelly

Reaction score
I'm slowly getting used to the down-gearing and now that I have conclusively realized that this is normal for this vehicle (and many others) I wish I hadn't brought it up. Nevertheless I still don't see how someone can 'love' this, in my opinion, design flaw. It's like you're driving with the door open and then a 500 pound sumo wrestler jumps in and after 7 or so seconds jumps out again and then repeats again at another gear change. My goal when driving is to use to brakes as sparingly as possible as it's just turning fuel burnt to create forward motion into heat energy pissed away into the brake pads. Rather than allowing the car to coast freely, leaving it to me to pick the right moment to start the coast, with the aim of not touching the brake pedal and timing things so that by the time I get to the red light it's turned green again and I can just accelerate, without having ever touched the brake and turned any of my forward momentum into wasted heat and brake pad wear. The down-gearing will indeed spare your brake pads some wear but this "unnatural" deceleration is taking forward momentum energy that you have paid for and turning it into useless heat energy probably dissipated within the transmission. Having a 500 pound anything jump into your car can never be an advantage--gas consumption wise. But I work with what I have and I do use the down-gearing and hold off on using the brakes if I know a downshift point is about to kick in. Still loving the Telluride though. Another quibble that maybe deserves a thread is the hood/wiper setup that doesn't allow for the the wiper blades to be stood up for easy snow, slush and ice clearance. We aren't there yet but my prediction is that the rather deep cavity the wipers are hiding in will become a troublesome area to keep clean in winter especially without being able to move the wipers out of the way.
Ok, not sure what 500 pound sumo wrestler(?) is jumping into your vehicle and then out again but my Telly is pretty darn smooth upon deceleration. I can barely perceive the downshifts so something might be wrong with your programming in the ECU or transmission control. The Smart Mode also modifies shifting depending on your driving style so that could be a culprit. Sounds like you need the dealer to take a drive with you.
Either way you slow down (via transmission shifts or brakes) you are still scrubbing speed and if you are not pressing on the gas, you are not burning more fuel. Actually, having the transmission in the correct gear for the speed you are traveling lets you save fuel because you don't have to press the gas down as hard to get moving again or stay moving whichever it is. I do think you will get used to it and actually appreciate it in the long run. Make sure it's right by the dealer, and then get used to it.

Last edited:
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

WhiteSX

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I came from a dual clutch in my Audi that did some serious engine braking so I am not a good one to judge. Feels smooth to me. Def not as smooth as the CVT in my wifes car but plenty smooth nonetheless.
Had the dual clutch on my Audi S7. LOVED it. Especially launch control :)

kjh8sfk23r8

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I've noticed when using HDA and even just letting the car decelerate using SCC that it will shift into second/first which can sometimes be abrupt. My DD is a manual, and I never shift into first for that very reason, just drop it into neutral if I'm stopping, go no lower than second gear if engine braking. I was hoping HDA would be smooth since it's main selling point is that it will navigate stop/go traffic but find that manually driving the car is a more pleasant experience. Otherwise the transmission is great.

Cronus

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Palisade (Limited, FWD), and have noticed something that seems very similar. It's very noticeable when slowing down and my speedometer reading goes from 20MPH to 19MPH - almost every time I feel a very apparent downshift(and slowdown). Coming from my previous car, I don't recall every noticing anything like this before - it was a 6 speed automatic.

T-ride

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Palisade (Limited, FWD), and have noticed something that seems very similar. It's very noticeable when slowing down and my speedometer reading goes from 20MPH to 19MPH - almost every time I feel a very apparent downshift(and slowdown). Coming from my previous car, I don't recall every noticing anything like this before - it was a 6 speed automatic.
Yes, I'm the original poster of the issue. Turns out it's not an issue, just normal for many makes of cars. If you go through the previous posts you'll see that I came to understand this as being normal, though still a tad annoying. Good Luck with your Palisade!

Cronus

Reaction score
Yes, I'm the original poster of the issue. Turns out it's not an issue, just normal for many makes of cars. If you go through the previous posts you'll see that I came to understand this as being normal, though still a tad annoying. Good Luck with your Palisade!
Yeah, it'll be nice if more people chime in and confirm they experience similar things. Will make me feel better anyway. :) Do you notice the abrupt downshift when going from about 20MPH to 19MPH as well?

T-ride

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Yeah, it'll be nice if more people chime in and confirm they experience similar things. Will make me feel better anyway. :) Do you notice the abrupt downshift when going from about 20MPH to 19MPH as well?
If you look through my past posts you'll see that I went back to the dealer and test drove another Telluride and experienced the exact same issue. It's hard for me to confirm your speed experience since I'm in Canada and we're dealing with kilometers per hour (much to my anoyance). I seem to have a downgear/slowdown event from about 42 to 39 kph and then another one at 22 to 19 kph with the latter one being most noticeable. I know the horsepower of both vehicles is the same and the engine and trans may be pretty closely related. i spent a lot of time on this back when I bought the vehicle and after a great deal of reading, testing, and posting on forums I can confidently say there is nothing wrong though to those of us who came from cars that don't do this, it certainly felt like something was kaput.

Cronus

Reaction score
Interesting - thanks for the responses! I wonder if it's part my driving style, like you, I just tend to let the car coast when I know I need to slow down soon. In several reviews I've read of the Telluride and Palisade they talk about the 'buttery smooth' transmission. Not sure how anyone could call this 'buttery smooth' unless they're just referring to upshifts when accelerating?

T-ride

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Interesting - thanks for the responses! I wonder if it's part my driving style, like you, I just tend to let the car coast when I know I need to slow down soon. In several reviews I've read of the Telluride and Palisade they talk about the 'buttery smooth' transmission. Not sure how anyone could call this 'buttery smooth' unless they're just referring to upshifts when accelerating?

Try to find my past posts. You'll see I was bitterly whining about how my coasting strategies were being sabotaged by this design. I still don't like it but I have been learning how to account for it and try to work it into my coasting style. And I agree. Those "race for the red light types" will never even notice this.

AzTelly

Reaction score
I notice the downshifts most in sport mode which is what mode I drive in the most. I appreciate being in the right gear when I need to acceleration instead of the lag while the transmission decides that it needs to pick a lower gear...with sport mode, it's already there. No, I don't try to coast. We are already getting 25mpg around town with this rig so we are happy already.

whyidie

Reaction score
I'm a coast stopper as well and have noticed the car periodically flip out on me in the early stages. One of us has adjusted though as it hasn't happened lately.