No soliciting permitted.

Very slow wireless charging (Qi)

Jrod75

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced very slow charging Qi wireless charging on the charging pad?? I just drove home our new Telluride. My phone was at 3% and after a 1hr 45 min drive it was at 11% and pretty hot. I didn’t have any navigation running On my phone and I hadn’t even hooked up the phone to the vehicle’s Bluetooth yet. So no real processing power being used. Thanks for any input. I’ll run another test later this week I’m sure.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

jw_tx21

SUSTAINING MEMBER
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced very slow charging Qi wireless charging on the charging pad?? I just drove home our new Telluride. My phone was at 3% and after a 1hr 45 min drive it was at 11% and pretty hot. I didn’t have any navigation running On my phone and I hadn’t even hooked up the phone to the vehicle’s Bluetooth yet. So no real processing power being used. Thanks for any input. I’ll run another test later this week I’m sure.

Yes, it is slow. Better to plug it in.

Last edited:

Kwim

Reaction score
This technology does not allow you to quickly charge the battery.
"Turtle process".
Also, an older battery (if the phone is already a couple of years old) slows down this process even more.

Jrod75

Reaction score
That’s funny. First time I’ve heard of this technology being bad. I have a wireless charger at home and though I’ve never timed it, sometimes I think it’s faster than the wired connections. Well, good to know it’s not my vehicle. That was my biggest concern. Add that to the list of mid-cycle refresh. Wireless charger that actually charges and wireless CarPlay.

Kwim

Reaction score
That’s funny. First time I’ve heard of this technology being bad.
This is not a bad technology, there is simply such a feature of this technology.
now the power is 5-20 watts, electromagnetic induction conducts a significantly smaller amount of energy per segment of time with such power, than a solid wire.

Last edited:

Kwim

Reaction score
That was my biggest concern. Add that to the list of mid-cycle refresh. Wireless charger that actually charges.
No one is stopping manufacturers from releasing a 100, 200 or 800 Watt charger.
Then it will be very fast.
only I doubt that you will want to ride in such a car, as this will greatly affect your health.

Tellthemride

Reaction score
Anyone having issues with the wireless charger not working? Just noticed it’s not charging my iPhone.

Did you check if wireless charging is enabled in the settings menu in your instrument cluster?

Tellthemride

Reaction score
Thanks, I can’t seem to find setting for that on the dashboard. Is there an option to turn it on and off?

Should be under the convenience menu as “Wireless Charging System”.

F3437F47-CF38-4EE9-A30F-82932BAB2B96.jpeg

Kwim

Reaction score
FYI- noticed if the door is open the Wireless charging Stops working until the door closes.

cool🤣,

on my sedona it charges even with the door open.

MarcinTexas

Reaction score
The downside of wireless charging is that it is slow. Some cases can make it even slower. Also - it gets very hot. Anyone notice on the new K5 - the wireless charging slot is actually ventilated. There is a spring loaded door to cover the slot when not in use - but if you look down inside - the slot is ducted. I haven't seen this on any other car. More automakers need to do this. Genius. Shows KIA is continually pushing the envelope and sweating the details.

1596058200236.png 1596058282158.png

mrad31

Reaction score
@MarcinTexas I’m actually looking into a K5 or Seltos as an addition to the Kia family. This vented feature is also true for the Seltos. Kia cleverly used the A/C vents routed through/under the center console to help cool the device! This is similar to the glovebox vent that was marketed as a cooled drink storage area for drinks on hot days, which I never used in my Forte haha.