Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Vibration

Albert Ruiz

Reaction score
Outstanding! Hopefully, it lasts and you're able to enjoy it.
So which part(s) were causing the problem? What about the transfer case?
I did not get any paperwork from the Dealer as to what was done. I was told that since KIA themselves handled everything that they will should sending me something. Going by what my service rep told me (and he was great by the way) after they replace the Old driveshaft with the new and still had the same issue, when they changed out the differential they put back the Old driveshaft (since they didn’t think that it was bad) then when it had the same issue they the. We’re looking towards the Transfer Case. Before they went through all the trouble of changing out the Transfer Case they decided to try it again with the new driveshaft.
I would have to guess that the issue started with the driveshaft and the high speed vibration may have deteriorated the integrity of the input shaft bushing on the differential. 🤔 That’s just my thoughts.
If I get something official from KIA I will post it for sure.

Albert Ruiz

Reaction score
I did not get any paperwork from the Dealer as to what was done. I was told that since KIA themselves handled everything that they will should sending me something. Going by what my service rep told me (and he was great by the way) after they replace the Old driveshaft with the new and still had the same issue, when they changed out the differential they put back the Old driveshaft (since they didn’t think that it was bad) then when it had the same issue they the. We’re looking towards the Transfer Case. Before they went through all the trouble of changing out the Transfer Case they decided to try it again with the new driveshaft.
I would have to guess that the issue started with the driveshaft and the high speed vibration may have deteriorated the integrity of the input shaft bushing on the differential. 🤔 That’s just my thoughts.
Sorry for the typos.

ColMo

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
How many miles did you have on it before they began replacing parts? If your right about the input shaft bushing just kinda getting an idea how long the vibration had to deteriorate the bushing?

G

G-913419

ColMo makes a good point. My dealer has had my EX AWD for 2 weeks now and the new driveshaft they ordered isn't due in until Sept 19th. I told the dealer if the driveshaft was bad I wanted everything it was connected to at least checked if not replaced, including the support bearing (which I was told comes with the driveshaft), the transfer case and rear diff. They said they would check everything. I'm not convinced yet. I also coincidentally got an email from Kia support for a an issue I raised about poor dealer practices when I was trying to buy a Telluride. I took the opportunity to respond with the details of my vibration issue as well so we'll see where that gets me.

Albert Ruiz

Reaction score
How many miles did you have on it before they began replacing parts? If your right about the input shaft bushing just kinda getting an idea how long the vibration had to deteriorate the bushing?
Just over 5k. My wife drives the highway to work everyday. So it’s mostly 70mph and above.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

ColMo

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Just over 5k. My wife drives the highway to work everyday. So it’s mostly 70mph and above.
Thanks - I have just 285 miles on mine - didn’t drive it much once the vibration showed up & dealer had it for 3 weeks- also very little mileage at the 70 mph speed - so maybe my differential hasn’t had time to be effected - and I will just need the drive shaft replaced - will be talking to Service Manager next week to see if he gets guidance from Kia - but I think they need to get the part on order.

TellyNY

Reaction score
ok... so i'm now paranoid about feeling every little vibration on the highway... when you all say "Vibration" could you be more specific... are you feeling the car wobble?, steering wheel shimmy? or just a feeling like your on the rubble strip?

I dont think i have the vibration issue, but i'm not sure i'm looking for the right thing.

Albert Ruiz

Reaction score
ok... so i'm now paranoid about feeling every little vibration on the highway... when you all say "Vibration" could you be more specific... are you feeling the car wobble?, steering wheel shimmy? or just a feeling like your on the rubble strip?

I dont think i have the vibration issue, but i'm not sure i'm looking for the right thing.
It’s a pulsating harmonic vibration. It happens usually between 65 & 75 mph. It’s not a wobble or a shimmy in the steering wheel. In my case I could hear and feel it most if I sat In The middle row. It happened all the time in that speed range. I knew when I hit 65 without looking at the speedometer.
Find a relatively smooth road and get it to that speed range. You’ll know if you have it.
If you do not have a AWD then ignore this thread.

TellyNY

Reaction score
It’s a pulsating harmonic vibration. It happens usually between 65 & 75 mph. It’s not a wobble or a shimmy in the steering wheel. In my case I could hear and feel it most if I sat In The middle row. It happened all the time in that speed range. I knew when I hit 65 without looking at the speedometer.
Find a relatively smooth road and get it to that speed range. You’ll know if you have it.
If you do not have a AWD then ignore this thread.
i do have the AWD and have not felt it... i guess i'm one of the lucky ones... [exhale]

CincyTech

Reaction score
News: The KIA service folks replaced the rear drive shaft and we found a reduction in how severe the vibration is. It still happens at all the same speeds but just less severe. Next stop - the Kia Tech Line has said to order a 4WD coupler.

Husker Soze

Reaction score
So...does anyone know what the threshold of customer complaints/service department service request that tips this issue to the point where KIA sends out a Service Bulletin? Or all these being attributed as faults for the transport companies?

pjmt73

Reaction score
My EX AWD has been in the shop for 4 weeks now. I get conflicting stories from the dealer and Kia. The dealer told me they fitted a new driveshaft but it didn't solve the problem. Kia then called to tell me the driveshaft that was ordered would be delivered in 1 week! The dealer then told me they are waiting for Kia engineers to come out and take a look. I then got a call from Kia saying the coupler didn't fix the issue and they were escalating my ticket. I'm sure the actual story is in there somewhere. Kia tried to tell me they hadn't heard about this issue before. I told them to go look at the NHTSA website and this forum.

Albert Ruiz

Reaction score
My EX AWD has been in the shop for 4 weeks now. I get conflicting stories from the dealer and Kia. The dealer told me they fitted a new driveshaft but it didn't solve the problem. Kia then called to tell me the driveshaft that was ordered would be delivered in 1 week! The dealer then told me they are waiting for Kia engineers to come out and take a look. I then got a call from Kia saying the coupler didn't fix the issue and they were escalating my ticket. I'm sure the actual story is in there somewhere. Kia tried to tell me they hadn't heard about this issue before. I told them to go look at the NHTSA website and this forum.
I also got updates from KIA via emails. It was clear to me that the rep had no clue as to what was going on. The service rep from the dealer kept me informed and updated on the progress. I got the Telluride back before 2weeks before KIA claimed the part would be In. They were 5steps behind on the whole process.

Arch177

Reaction score
Kia does not care. The dealers care even less, as they just want to sell these - and they are selling fast.

The dealers, both Kia and Hyundai, sell the trucks without fixing them and even after their mechanics tell their bosses there is an issue. This tends to be the rule, not the exception.

Remember, a dealer buys the vehicles from Kia. Then the vehicles become the dealers' babies, so to speak. The dealer really makes their money off service. They do not want to fix these problem trucks for next to nothing. They certainly do not want to be "stuck with a dead truck," as one guy told me.

The one I switched out of is still just sitting in the service lot. I'm sure they just up and sold the other AWDs I tried and found the same issue with.

Fortunately, my FWD 'S' is fine...so far. So far......