No soliciting permitted.

Waze freezes

DavidMW

Reaction score
Sometimes when I use waze on Apple play, the screen either freezes, stays white, or doesn’t do the turn by turn directions.. anyone have that same issue?

I tried 2 different cables (but not apples OE) and I have an 8+. Is my phone just out of date?

ps.... sorry if this has already been discussed. I couldn’t find an existing thread

aperry

Reaction score
I use Waze with Android Auto. The problem I've experienced is that it crashes if/when my mobile phone's signal is spotty. With one particular highway commute that I was doing every weekend over the winter time, Waze would reliably crash in a certain location where my phone would lose it's cell signal. This is with a Google Pixel 3 phone, running on the Google Fi mobile network, Google's Android Auto, and the Google-owned Waze app. Lately (last couple of months) I haven't been doing that particular commute and I've been in a more reliable mobile coverage area and haven't had many stability problems. I use Waze mainly for speed traps, and I haven't found a better alternative for this. I wish Google would put this feature/data into Google Maps.

DavidMW

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s a signal issue, but I can test that. I have a very long morning commute thanks to daycare and work so I usually turn on waze at the same time and place and crashes seem somewhat random. What I’m testing now is user error.. I might be clicking too fast while not letting the system to catch up (that ultimately might be a cable issue)

PaulD

Reaction score
The problem is likely Waze. The app is a piece of crap from a stability perspective and has all sorts of problems on my other car with Carplay.

Orcadriver

Reaction score
Waze was freezing up on me until I turned off my Android phone's power saving mode. I haven't seen any freezing since.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

DavidMW

Reaction score
Waze isn’t great.. I use it for the police reporting and traffic since I drive a lot. The last it froze right outside my house where I always use it so I don’t think it’s a dead zone thing. I tried 3 cables so it’s not that. It’s either waze, the interface, or my phone. I noticed the last 2 times it froze, I had a maps app open or Zillow which was tracking my location.. I’ll keep investigating and post in case anyone else has this issue

Tellthemride

Reaction score
Have you also check your iPhone settings?

Settings > General > Carplay > Kia Motors > Allow Carplay While Locked

In case the issue was freezing due to your phone display timing out and locking.

Bridge4

Reaction score
Could it be update related? Maybe either the car or the app.
No clue just throwing out an easier check.

aperry

Reaction score
Waze isn’t great.. I use it for the police reporting and traffic since I drive a lot. The last it froze right outside my house where I always use it so I don’t think it’s a dead zone thing. I tried 3 cables so it’s not that. It’s either waze, the interface, or my phone. I noticed the last 2 times it froze, I had a maps app open or Zillow which was tracking my location.. I’ll keep investigating and post in case anyone else has this issue

I just want to comment that Waze also freezes/crashes for me right outside my house (occasionally). It's usually when I'm in the process of plugging in a new destination while pulling away from my driveway. I have attributed it to leaving the area of my wifi network and switching to the mobile network. I feel like Waze is not very tolerant of network changes in general. Sometimes it can handle it, while other times it freezes and crashes. It seems that there hasn't been much investment in Waze since it was acquired by Google, and the most important Waze data hasn't made it into Google Maps. Te app seems to be neglected, which is a shame.

DavidMW

Reaction score
Could it be update related? Maybe either the car or the app.
No clue just throwing out an easier check.
The phone is updated regularly.. I hate that little bubble so I take care of those as soon as humanly possible. I’m not sure how to check for a car update

Bridge4

Reaction score
The phone is updated regularly.. I hate that little bubble so I take care of those as soon as humanly possible. I’m not sure how to check for a car update
I know there is a thread on here saying it updated in April. I'm curious if you have the older version and waze was updated possibly and now running into some issues? It sounds more random than that though, is there an option to send bug reports to waze? Maybe they'd help you after looking at the data.

aperry

Reaction score
I know there is a thread on here saying it updated in April. I'm curious if you have the older version and waze was updated possibly and now running into some issues? It sounds more random than that though, is there an option to send bug reports to waze? Maybe they'd help you after looking at the data.
There is a method to enable debug logging and to send it to Waze for troubleshooting. I did this for the issue I described near the top of this thread. In fact, they proactively asked me to do this after I left a mediocre review (describing my frustrations with stability) for the Waze app on the Google Play Store. Unfortunately, after spending time on this and following their instructions, they replied as if I had never submitted anything. I lost interest at that point.

In case it's helpful, following are the instructions they sent me. Maybe you'll have more luck than I did:

Thanks for contacting us about the app crashes on your Android Auto when it loses a data connection.

Apology for the inconvenience this may have caused you and for the late response.

We're here to help! But first, we need a bit more info. Here's what we need:

Send debug logs so we can dig deeper

When you encounter a bug in Waze, you can help us fix it by reproducing the issue while in debug mode and submitting the report logs.

Here’s a step-by-step guide:

1. Open Waze and tap Search
  2. In the search bar, type 2##2, and then tap the magnifying glass
  3. A Debug Mode message appears. Tap OK.
  4. Close and re-open Waze
  5. Do the same thing in the app for the issue to reoccur. Take a screenshot if you can.
  6. Tap the orange Report button in the bottom right, and then Debug
  7. Tap Yes and wait for a confirmation message
To exit Debug Mode:

• Tap Search
  • In the search bar, type 2##2, and then tap the magnifying glass
  • Tap OK
Some more details about the issue

Please reply to this email and include:

• The steps you took to reproduce the isseue while on debug mode
  • The date and time the issue occured while on debug mode
  • The date and time you sent the logs
  • A screenshot or videoclip of the issue for us to better understand

WhiteSX

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Sometimes when I use waze on Apple play, the screen either freezes, stays white, or doesn’t do the turn by turn directions.. anyone have that same issue?

I tried 2 different cables (but not apples OE) and I have an 8+. Is my phone just out of date?

ps.... sorry if this has already been discussed. I couldn’t find an existing thread
Try the Apple OE cable just for the heck of it.

DavidMW

Reaction score
So I’ve tried everything except a different model phone (my wife also has the 8+) and I think it’s just the app. I’ve kept notes and can’t find any commonality in times it freezes. I don’t NEED the app, but I live in north Jersey and if you’re driving anytime between 7am and 10pm, you’ll hit traffic somewhere so I like the app for traffic and police reporting.
Thanks for helping trying to troubleshoot this

Tellthemride

Reaction score
I’ve been experiencing a glitch where the direction overlay and eta info overlay on the Waze map will not show. I usually like to start the route guidance on my phone screen and then plug in the data cable, which might be the cause?
5C6D492D-CF46-4703-82EC-E90257B84A08.jpeg
I have found that when I cancel the route and then set the route guidance again using the infotainment on-screen buttons, the overlays will display normally again.

I have the 12pro.

DavidMW

Reaction score
Sometimes that freezes or sometimes the eta box isn’t there or the screen is just white or black or just completely is the wrong place. It glitches different each time. I suppose I can live with it for now.
In the meantime, I did learn a few things about this car that made me happy so I’ll start a new thread about the little things that make me happy

Attachments

• 1130434D-BCC8-4D30-A10D-9E7C34359E4A.jpeg
    1130434D-BCC8-4D30-A10D-9E7C34359E4A.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 2

aperry

Reaction score
I continue to experience Waze crashes anytime I go a meaningful distance from home. It commonly happens on highway drives outside metro areas. After some more research, it seems that my problems may be related to Google Fi (my mobile network provider) switching between its supported networks (Sprint and TMobile I think). Disappointing that it's so unstable on a full-Google lineup (Pixel phone, Android Auto, Waze, Google Fi).

I wish Google would go back in time and un-acquire Waze. I bet it would be a much better app today.