No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

weird smell/taste

MELISSAB

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I think this is going to be an odd question. We test drove an S model as that was all the dealership had left. Afterwards both husband and I were left with a bad taste in our mouths, quite literally. It was like we'd eaten a bunch of walnuts. It wasn't at all a new car smell and no we didn't lick the car. It went away for both of us within a couple minutes of getting out of the Telluride. I know new plastics, of which this S trim model had a lot, off gas, but if that was what was going on I don't think I could take that for very long. Has anyone else noticed this? We are considering an SX, so there would be less plastic, but I'm sure some would remain and if that was the cause it was really bad.

Telluride Forum

Staff member
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I think this is going to be an odd question. We test drove an S model as that was all the dealership had left. Afterwards both husband and I were left with a bad taste in our mouths, quite literally. It was like we'd eaten a bunch of walnuts. It wasn't at all a new car smell and no we didn't lick the car. It went away for both of us within a couple minutes of getting out of the Telluride. I know new plastics, of which this S trim model had a lot, off gas, but if that was what was going on I don't think I could take that for very long. Has anyone else noticed this? We are considering an SX, so there would be less plastic, but I'm sure some would remain and if that was the cause it was really bad.
Strange... I imagine it could have been something that came through the ventilation system. I haven't heard of anyone else saying something like this about any automobile... Otherwise, welcome to the community! What might the Telluride be replacing for you?

Bruce_wayne8887

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
You know I'm not sure if its the same but when we test drove the Mazda CX9 we started smelling something weird and he told us to turn off the recirculation on the ac. He said its the coating they put on the brakes in japan to stop them from rusting when they are shipping from Japan to the USA over seas since the air traveling by ship has more moistures so perhaps they apply this in the Georgia factory also to all models whether they are shipping out of the country or not.

Telluride Forum

Staff member
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
You know I'm not sure if its the same but when we test drove the Mazda CX9 we started smelling something weird and he told us to turn off the recirculation on the ac. He said its the coating they put on the brakes in japan to stop them from rusting when they are shipping from Japan to the USA over seas since the air traveling by ship has more moistures so perhaps they apply this in the Georgia factory also to all models whether they are shipping out of the country or not.
That does make sense... I wonder if this is what @MELISSAB was smelling...

MELISSAB

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
It was a very weird thing. I'm pretty sensitive to smells, my husband not so much. If it were only me I wouldn't think twice about it, but for him to notice means it was pretty overwhelming. We aren't ready to buy yet, I want to see the Palisade in person first so I'm sure we'll check other versions of the Telluride. Hoping it was a one off as I quite liked this model but not that trim level.

We are looking for a replacement for my 08 Honda Odyssey EXL with 88K miles which will be relegated to being a kids car. I've been driving minivans for 25 years now, including my current one for 11 years so it's going to be a big adjustment to switch form factors.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Bruce_wayne8887

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
It was a very weird thing. I'm pretty sensitive to smells, my husband not so much. If it were only me I wouldn't think twice about it, but for him to notice means it was pretty overwhelming. We aren't ready to buy yet, I want to see the Palisade in person first so I'm sure we'll check other versions of the Telluride. Hoping it was a one off as I quite liked this model but not that trim level.

We are looking for a replacement for my 08 Honda Odyssey EXL with 88K miles which will be relegated to being a kids car. I've been driving minivans for 25 years now, including my current one for 11 years so it's going to be a big adjustment to switch form factors.
The smell would go away over time after you drive it more. It was pretty strong when we test drove the mazda.

MELISSAB

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Thinking back, we crawled around in the car quite a bit before doing the test drive. They'd left it unlocked so we were checking it out for probably 10 minutes before a salesman came out with the keys and I don't think I noticed it before we drove off. I'm thinking the idea of the a/c bringing something in is more likely whether from some part of the car or from the roads. It was very weird and very gross whatever it was.

Miamigow

Reaction score
I have had my Telluride LX for 3 weeks. I can absolutely confirm a smell and taste. I am nauseous at the end of my morning and evening commutes. Hoping this goes away real soon. God knows what toxins I'm breathing in.

Gwyn

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Almost all heating and cooling units will have to break in. The heating units especially. If you use the seat or the steering wheel heater on any new vehicle it can get to the point where you are coughing. It takes time for it to go away. I would remember stop circulating air and crack the windows, it should go away. If it does not complain to the dealer.

westcoastTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
get your Telly treated with ozone !! most good auto shops or detailiers have ozone machines , they will kill any "bad" stuff in the car and if you have the ac running it will elimanate odors and any micrbicromial matter !!

Tubaman

Reaction score
Since both models mentioned have the synthetic leave seats, I wonder if it’s that? Nothing but mild new car smell here.

Wildcatt76

Reaction score
Not inside smell but the first couple of weeks I parked mine in the garage I thought it was very strong plastic off-gassing smell. Faded now but for a while it was very prominent.

Miamigow

Reaction score
get your Telly treated with ozone !! most good auto shops or detailiers have ozone machines , they will kill any "bad" stuff in the car and if you have the ac running it will elimanate odors and any micrbicromial matter !!
I will try that suggestion. Feels like something the dealers should do when the car arrives on their lot. I am not exaggerating that the back of my throat is bothered hours after I get out of the car.

Capncrunch

Reaction score
It is strong in mine also. It has gotten better over time. I test drove a couple before mine came in and it was the same in all of them. I thought it was just new car smell, but it is different than any new car smell I have ever experienced. Probably off gassing like someone else said. It does fade over time.

Lemons123

Reaction score
I have had my Telluride LX for 3 weeks. I can absolutely confirm a smell and taste. I am nauseous at the end of my morning and evening commutes. Hoping this goes away real soon. God knows what toxins I'm breathing in.
Did the problem go away or did you figure out what was causing the issue? I just bought a 2019 KIA Optima and I'm having issues with a weird taste and my lips feel numb/tingling.

MELISSAB

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I posted the original message before we bought our Telly back in April. It's been long enough that I can't recall, but I don't remember it being an issue in the one we bought or if so it didn't last long. The one we had an issue with was an S model, which I think doesn't have leather seats? We bought an EX which does have leather. I'm just guessing, but I would bet it has to do with the material the seats are made of, unless someone here has noticed the problem with an EX or SX?

Crys

Reaction score
I have had this issue as well, my eyes were burning and my lungs hurt...went away after about a month and it got cooler outside

Crys

Reaction score
I posted the original message before we bought our Telly back in April. It's been long enough that I can't recall, but I don't remember it being an issue in the one we bought or if so it didn't last long. The one we had an issue with was an S model, which I think doesn't have leather seats? We bought an EX which does have leather. I'm just guessing, but I would bet it has to do with the material the seats are made of, unless someone here has noticed the problem with an EX or SX?
Yes I have the EX and had the same problem