Welcome to our KIA Telluride community!

We're so glad you found us! Please take a moment to register. We'd LOVE to have you!

Register Log in
  • PLEASE NOTE: This is a private community with only a few publicly accessible areas. Please sign up for open access to full level content.

What are you cross-shopping the KIA Telluride with?

• Admin

Telluride Forum

Staff member
Reaction score
The KIA Telluride fits into a pretty enormous segment. Contrary to popular belief, the Telluride is not a large SUV. It's a midsize. Like the BMW X5, Volkswagen Atlas, Subaru Ascent, etcetera. What will you be cross-shopping?

Steve

Reaction score
I'm looking for a "people mover" so here at the start of the search I'm casting a wide net. The Telluride is looking good but my spreadsheet includes:
Honda Odyssey
Toyota Sienna
Kia Sedona
Subaru Ascent
Mazda CX-9
Hyundai Palisade
Honda Pilot
Toyota Highlander

Telluride Forum

Staff member
Reaction score

Destrukt

Reaction score
I currently have a 2017 Toyota Highlander SE which the lease is up the end of this year. The Highlander version I currently have would run about $41k MSRP for a 2019/2020 if I were to swap for a new one.

I am really surprised by the amount of tech and car you get for the price on this new KIA Telluride.

I was also looking at the Honda Pilot but it looks ugly to me and also it does not have nearly as much tech as the new telluride.

I was also looking at the Lexus RX 350 but again, you have to spend almost $50k to get the same options as the Telluride for low $40k.

I am really tempted in just grabbing a used fully loaded telluride this time next year for mid-high $30k range. It’s a buyers market and I think it would be one of the smartest moves for so much car and little money.

My only concern is realibility which I’ll hopefully get to witness through forums and news for all of 2019 as people buy them and complain or boast.

EDIT:

The reason I’m not returning to the Highlander is because I have two toddlers / youth 6 and 4 years old. They’re still in car seats and even with the 2nd row all the way back they still kick the back of my seat in front row. I am 5’11 and like it spacious for longer rides.

We drove from Texas to Florida and I felt slightly cramped. For local rides it’s very comfortable and fine. However, for long traveling rides I feel like we need the size of the telluride or minivan and my wife won’t drive a minivan! Lol

Last edited:

Telluride Forum

Staff member
Reaction score
I currently have a 2017 Toyota Highlander SE which the lease is up the end of this year. The Highlander version I currently have would run about $41k MSRP for a 2019/2020 if I were to swap for a new one.

I am really surprised by the amount of tech and car you get for the price on this new KIA Telluride.

I was also looking at the Honda Pilot but it looks ugly to me and also it does not have nearly as much tech as the new telluride.

I was also looking at the Lexus RX 350 but again, you have to spend almost $50k to get the same options as the Telluride for low $40k.

I am really tempted in just grabbing a used fully loaded telluride this time next year for mid-high $30k range. It’s a buyers market and I think it would be one of the smartest moves for so much car and little money.

My only concern is realibility which I’ll hopefully get to witness through forums and news for all of 2019 as people buy them and complain or boast.

EDIT:

The reason I’m not returning to the Highlander is because I have two toddlers / youth 6 and 4 years old. They’re still in car seats and even with the 2nd row all the way back they still kick the back of my seat in front row. I am 5’11 and like it spacious for longer rides.

We drove from Texas to Florida and I felt slightly cramped. For local rides it’s very comfortable and fine. However, for long traveling rides I feel like we need the size of the telluride or minivan and my wife won’t drive a minivan! Lol
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up. :) Yes, I agree with you - as do probably most of us. The KIA Telluride gives you a WHOLE lot for the money. And KIA is pretty well-known for doing that. I'm sure you've heard of the Stinger. KIA vehicles are typically very reliable. You just have me an idea and I started a discussion about KIA reliability. You can find it right here. You may want to subscribe to it. In time, there will be lots of comments with people telling you about their reliability experiences...

critrider

Reaction score
I can wade in on the Ascent, as I have one. Couldn't wait for the Telluride to come out unfortunately. The Ascent is really pretty close to the Telluride size wise, and it is a really nice vehicle. The one concern everyone seems to have is the 4 cylinder turbo. I was really surprised how well it moves the vehicle, its very quick, torquey, and climbs mountain grades with ease. It should be a non issue for comparison. Gas mileage is good (22 MPG city, 26-27 highway) with regular fuel. The CVT may be an issue for some, and for some reason Subaru decided to add fake shifts into the CVT as it winds up to make you think its an 8 spd or something. The Subaru is full time AWD vs KIA FWD in standard driving mode. Subaru's Symmetrical AWD system is pretty solid and its standard so that's a big plus for the Ascent. I'm really digging the Telluride though. Its a nice looking vehicle.... The Ascent? Homely would be a little harsh, lets just say it looks like a Subaru. I'm anxious to see and drive a Telluride, and would flip the Ascent for one if its as nice as it seems...

SBPC20

Reaction score
I can wade in on the Ascent, as I have one. Couldn't wait for the Telluride to come out unfortunately. The Ascent is really pretty close to the Telluride size wise, and it is a really nice vehicle. The one concern everyone seems to have is the 4 cylinder turbo. I was really surprised how well it moves the vehicle, its very quick, torquey, and climbs mountain grades with ease. It should be a non issue for comparison. Gas mileage is good (22 MPG city, 26-27 highway) with regular fuel. The CVT may be an issue for some, and for some reason Subaru decided to add fake shifts into the CVT as it winds up to make you think its an 8 spd or something. The Subaru is full time AWD vs KIA FWD in standard driving mode. Subaru's Symmetrical AWD system is pretty solid and its standard so that's a big plus for the Ascent. I'm really digging the Telluride though. Its a nice looking vehicle.... The Ascent? Homely would be a little harsh, lets just say it looks like a Subaru. I'm anxious to see and drive a Telluride, and would flip the Ascent for one if its as nice as it seems...
Nice comparison..
yeah my mine concern is the turbo 4 I just don’t think it will last the life of the vehicle (not just Subaru but all the companies putting a 4 cylinder to pull a 4k lb vehicle and 8 passengers and tow a trailer, that just does not add up to me.. if they put a V6 in the ascent which (Toyota) has plenty they can borrow.. it would
Be a lot more harder to pick between the 2.. and the AWD feature I don’t really need or see as a safety feature.. fwd do Rwd works for me
The Kia is looking a lot better but it’s still has me Cautious as I always thought of Kia as a throw away car, not lasting 10+ years or more as I keep them until they die..

Telluride Forum

Staff member
Reaction score
I always thought of Kia as a throw away car, not lasting 10+ years or more as I keep them until they die..
Keep in mind that if KIA actually DID make throw-away cars, their 10 year warranty program would have caused them to shut down a long time ago...

SBPC20

Reaction score
well in the beginning when they first appeared they where horrible cars .. so my first impression of them wasn’t good..
now 20 years later they have my attention and with a lot of there vehicles high end look, and the telluride is just gorgeous inside and out!

Telluride Forum

Staff member
Reaction score
well in the beginning when they first appeared they where horrible cars .. so my first impression of them wasn’t good..
now 20 years later they have my attention and with a lot of there vehicles high end look, and the telluride is just gorgeous inside and out!
I agree - they were nothing special in the beginning. But they learned quickly and grew to where they are now faster than any other brand. Even faster than Hyundai...

Destrukt

Reaction score
I owned a fully loaded 2015 Explorer and I’ll never go back. By 2nd year I had leaks and engine kept sputtering. Did not enjoy the service department w/ Ford either.

Hopefully it’s changed with the new models but I would be scared to get a 1st year release of their new explorer.

Steve

Reaction score
I owned a fully loaded 2015 Explorer and I’ll never go back. By 2nd year I had leaks and engine kept sputtering. Did not enjoy the service department w/ Ford either.

Hopefully it’s changed with the new models but I would be scared to get a 1st year release of their new explorer.
Overall reliability is certainly a factor and Ford does seem to rank fairly low. So I'll still have a look but with less enthusiasm.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.