No soliciting permitted.

Register Log in

What dealer markups are people seeing above MSRP?

Chris-in-Chi

Reaction score
Definitely want to avoid the nonsense with dealers who are marking up the SXPs.
What are people seeing and what to avoid?

I've seen some "custom" options that have pushed an SXP into the low $60k range - which is just obnoxious.

jw_tx21

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Definitely want to avoid the nonsense with dealers who are marking up the SXPs.
What are people seeing and what to avoid?

I've seen some "custom" options that have pushed an SXP into the low $60k range - which is just obnoxious.
Did you decide not to purchase the pre-owned model from Luther Kia?

A markup of up to $1000 is reasonable in my opinion for an in-stock or en route unit (not an order). As @alexdrums noted below, if they won't budge on markups, try to negotiate something of value - like tinted windows, extra warranty, ceramic coating / paint protection, accessories like a cargo net or mud guards.

Markups range up to $12k... no need to pay anywhere near that. Watch Dealer Inventory section too and/or place an order with one of the fine dealerships on this forum.

Last edited:
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

crimscrem

Reaction score
I usually see paint protection for about $600 or so. I think the goal is to you catch an unallocated order in time and work with the dealership to get what you want without dealer add ons.

Mweiland

AUTHORIZED DEALER
Reaction score
Did you decide not to purchase the pre-owned model from Luther Kia?

A markup of up to $1000 is reasonable in my opinion for an in-stock or en route unit (not an order).

Markups range up to $12k... no need to pay anywhere near that. Watch Dealer Inventory section too and/or place an order with one of the fine dealerships on this forum.
No it got sold to someone else.

raydog9379

Reaction score
McGrath in Palatine does the BS required add-ons of $8-10k. Gary Lang in McHenry is $2k over MSRP. Elgin is now $3k over MSRP for any stock. Many of the others around here hover around $3-5k.

If you follow the forums, you'll see several of the bad stories in the sticky thread about bad dealers and markup. Also will see the few good ones out here that post on the site that don't do markups / add-ons.

I hear that people do well down at Friendly in New Port Richey, FL which is a huge volume dealer. They usually have 35-45 Tellurides in stock at any time and advertise $1k under MSRP. But try to throw on add-ons around $2k (hear nearly everyone is successful in getting those knocked off though). I've been tempted to do that, my Dad has a house down the street from there (snowbirds)... but the drive home to Chicago sucks (2 long days of driving 12-14 hour days which I've done a few times over the years).

alexdrums

Reaction score
A markup of up to $1000 is reasonable in my opinion for an in-stock or en route unit (not an order).
I like what you said in another post about asking for something in exchange if you have to pay the markup. Paint protection, accessories or whatever. If you are going to pay top dollar, you need to squeeze as much value out of it as possible.

Testb7900

Reaction score
I’m in PA and all dealers around me are marking up 7K over MSRP for the SX models. Screw that Ill wait till next year!

raydog9379

Reaction score
I’m in PA and all dealers around me are marking up 7K over MSRP for the SX models. Screw that Ill wait till next year!
Find one out of the area and see if you can get it shipped for a few hundred bucks if you can't make the drive. I drove 3 hours each way today to get mine. It was worth it.

G

G-430633

I live in central PA. I ordered a fully loaded SX-P for $1,000 below MSRP. I looked at 7 dealers before I got this deal.

Yan

Reaction score
Lowest I have seen in Southern California is $1K over Invoice if you finance through Kia. Anyone else buying in So Cal?