Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Wife and I are looking at one

MikeCL

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
She wanted to hold off for the Palisade she likes it more inside but not really the front.. I’m not really a fan be today the push button gear selector. Also with my growing family I can’t stay in my 05’ Subaru Legacy GT I’m just wondering about the reliability of the V6 motor? I kinda wish Kia would make AWD standard on this large of a vehicle. My job requires me to be in as long as the highway is open that includes if I have 12” on the ground. Right now I’m not sure if I should just wait right now because the prices are crazy plus a first year model..

MikeCL

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm thinking about maybe waiting until next year when the new model comes out maybe more options or more standard options.. plus I saw in another post here they are thinking about increasing the price?

felixvt

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I drive mine for work as a sales rep here in the northeast, 650 miles per week on average, 25 mpg on the highway, quiet, safe, traded our 18’ forerunner, we looked at Grands, Pilots, etc, in my mind this is the right choice.

jazzyone

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
It has a 18.8 gal fuel tank. I’ve averaged around 26 mpg. That’s around 489 miles.

I used to have a 4Runner that had a 23 gal tank that averaged around 18 mpg. That’s 414 miles. I thought having such a big tank was nice, but I guess I really needed it.

That’s 75 more miles on less gas.Saving money all day long!

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I kinda wish Kia would make AWD standard on this large of a vehicle.
I doubt they would make AWD standard. 50% of the US market doesn’t need AWD and most people don’t want to deal with added cost and complexity of things to go wrong. The rest may think they need it but day to day driving conditions don’t make a difference. If think very few people in comparison to the average buyer actually put the AWD to use. The added weight lowers the MPG. Besides it costs more to make and support AWD which is why Subaru’s are typically more expensive than another 2wd vehicle. My thinking is why not offer it as an option and if you want it you can make an informed decision on the premium you are paying to have it.

MikeCL

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
It has a 18.8 gal fuel tank. I’ve averaged around 26 mpg. That’s around 489 miles.

I used to have a 4Runner that had a 23 gal tank that averaged around 18 mpg. That’s 414 miles. I thought having such a big tank was nice, but I guess I really needed it.

That’s 75 more miles on less gas.Saving money all day long!
thats not bad range at all I wonder how It would be on hilly areas?
I doubt they would make AWD standard. 50% of the US market doesn’t need AWD and most people don’t want to deal with added cost and complexity of things to go wrong. The rest may think they need it but day to day driving conditions don’t make a difference. If think very few people in comparison to the average buyer actually put the AWD to use. The added weight lowers the MPG. Besides it costs more to make and support AWD which is why Subaru’s are typically more expensive than another 2wd vehicle. My thinking is why not offer it as an option and if you want it you can make an informed decision on the premium you are paying to have it.
I’ve been down the FWD road before I’ve owned 6 different Subaru’s the risk of getting held up because I can’t leave for work is something I can’t risk with my job since I have to be in early before most plows hit the streets.

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I’ve been down the FWD road before I’ve owned 6 different Subaru’s the risk of getting held up because I can’t leave for work is something I can’t risk with my job since I have to be in early before most plows hit the streets.
I get it, I use to live in New England and make the trek up there every year. But that’s why Subaru’s sell better up north. Most people in the south don’t see a need to pay a premium for a feature they won’t use. IMHO in the south if you think you need AWD you buy a 4x4 pickup truck or order the option on an SUV. Have you considered that the Telluride is Front Wheel Drive and being a bigger vehicle with the weight being mostly over the front axle would handle better than a car that is FWD? Either way you have the option vs no option on a Subaru.

MikeCL

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I get it, I use to live in New England and make the trek up there every year. But that’s why Subaru’s sell better up north. Most people in the south don’t see a need to pay a premium for a feature they won’t use. IMHO in the south if you think you need AWD you buy a 4x4 pickup truck or order the option on an SUV. Have you considered that the Telluride is Front Wheel Drive and being a bigger vehicle with the weight being mostly over the front axle would handle better than a car that is FWD? Either way you have the option vs no option on a Subaru.
Yeah I understand the weight but I rather just pay the extra for the option then not to have it.. most of what I see on the lots are all AWD here anyways.

13_FST

Staff member
FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
She wanted to hold off for the Palisade she likes it more inside but not really the front.. I’m not really a fan be today the push button gear selector. Also with my growing family I can’t stay in my 05’ Subaru Legacy GT I’m just wondering about the reliability of the V6 motor? I kinda wish Kia would make AWD standard on this large of a vehicle. My job requires me to be in as long as the highway is open that includes if I have 12” on the ground. Right now I’m not sure if I should just wait right now because the prices are crazy plus a first year model..
You should have no qualms about the reliability of the V6 motor.

Same motor (tuned differently and on a different cycle) was used on the Genesis coupe running 348 hp. Super reliable.

Same motor and same transmission was also used on the Genesis Sedan with over 300 hp. No issues.

The Telluride's engine is tuned more for fuel economy and is super tough and reliable. I wouldn't be worried about the engine or the transmission.

MikeCL

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
You should have no qualms about the reliability of the V6 motor.

Same motor (tuned differently and on a different cycle) was used on the Genesis coupe running 348 hp. Super reliable.

Same motor and same transmission was also used on the Genesis Sedan with over 300 hp. No issues.

The Telluride's engine is tuned more for fuel economy and is super tough and reliable. I wouldn't be worried about the engine or the transmission.
Maybe next year we will make the purchase good to know both the engine and transmission is good my current car is a turbo albeit a bit tuned for more power.. one of the first things we want to do is go camping. I’m a little undecided on how I want the seating I think my wife is ok with captains chairs I think it would make it quicker to get to the 3rd row if need be.

MikeCL

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Agh.. so we are both split on the 7 or 8 passenger.. I figured the 7 would be easier to get to the rear row quicker if sitting in the captians chairs? She's not too fond of it but she had the same thoughts about getting to the rear row quicker.. something she says she would have to see in person to be 100%

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Agh.. so we are both split on the 7 or 8 passenger.. I figured the 7 would be easier to get to the rear row quicker if sitting in the captians chairs? She's not too fond of it but she had the same thoughts about getting to the rear row quicker.. something she says she would have to see in person to be 100%
If you have kids and go through a carpool, 7-passenger is the way to go. It makes the 3rd row way more accessible.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

NCTelly

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I have a 6 month old and a 10 year old that was my thoughts as well..
We had a Sienna minivan before the Telluride and never used the jumpseat between the Captains chairs. Then test drove an 8 passenger Telluride, loved everything except for the middle bench (not knocking it just did not fit my family). Was ready to go with a Sedona because I thought 7-passenger was only in SX and that was out of budget. Then we saw the S came with captains chairs and I placed an order immediately. It was reinforced when we had a Sorento loaner while waiting and it was a nice SUV but my 6yo and 9yo had trouble getting in and out of the 3rd row. Have not regretted the S 7-pass. one bit and I’m at 7,500 miles.