Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Will the Telluride drive itself in slow traffic (including steering)?

Jastevenson

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
So I know the Telluride has radar cruise control that will works down to zero mph. And I know it has HDA which will steer the vehicle automatically for up to 2 minutes.

But does HDA only work at highway speeds (hence the name HDA)? Or can it handle a traffic jam without human assistance? If it only works at highway speeds, anyone know there minimum speed below which it is disabled?

Audi and Mercedes have a feature that does that (Audi calls it Traffic Jam Assist and it works up to around 39 mph I think). Am hoping Telluride has it too.

RebelShadow

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
It works full time. I left my hands off the wheel and let the Telly drive all the way through Baton Rouge yesterday. Just needed to touch wheel occasionally to shut up the warning. Telly did most of the work. I'm impressed and freaked out wife and daughter ;-)

ps - it was stop & go traffic, well mostly stop for about an hour.

wwwired

Reaction score
It works full time. I left my hands off the wheel and let the Telly drive all the way through Baton Rouge yesterday. Just needed to touch wheel occasionally to shut up the warning. Telly did most of the work. I'm impressed and freaked out wife and daughter ;-)

ps - it was stop & go traffic, well mostly stop for about an hour.
Same here.

I am interested to know why HDA comes in or out when she effectively drives operates the same way with or without HDA indicator. (no haven't looked at the manual yet)

BanditLover

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Same here.

I am interested to know why HDA comes in or out when she effectively drives operates the same way with or without HDA indicator. (no haven't looked at the manual yet)
I think the HDA indicator changes color (from green to white, as an example) when the road markings may not be clear, to alert us that we may need to take over. I have noticed that on stretches of road that the lane markings are faded or blacked over the car still drives itself, but changes color to say self-driving road conditions are not up to par so beware I may need the drivers help!

Keena

Reaction score
This is the weirdest feeling. We took our new Telluride ( aka pepper) on a quick road trip yesterday. I found myself kind of fighting against the lane assistance I love it in theory, but it will take some getting used to.

Kisama_x86

Reaction score
The HDA light comes on, only when on specific highways (Only the interstates where I am) and requires you to set the cruise control at the exact speed limit. But the Highway Driving Assist also adjusts the speed based on the speed limit for you, slows down and increases both.

Kisama_x86

Reaction score
Yeah, even if you have HDA, if you set the cruise control even as little as 1MPH above or below, it will just use the assisted cruise control that will auto slow the vehicle down if a vehicle is in front of you. You can turn that off too, and use just regular old cruise control if you want, but the adaptive one is more fun :D

The manual says you can set the cruise control to something like 110, or right around there. Would have to double check, I just haven't had the guts to try setting it that high >.<

On a road trip I would use HDA, commute too/from work I would use the adaptive one, I forget it's fancy name, but the one that slows down with the car in front of you, because believe me, during that evening commute, in rush hour, it was SO nice not having to touch the brakes once. Just sat back and relaxed while my car drove ME home.

alfman

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I thought HDA was for automated speed control only whereas Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) did some minor steering corrections if there are lines available on the road.

I did a quick test ride yesterday in an S model and found LKA didn't keep the vehicle centered very well, it would overshoot the lines before making a correction. And this a dark road, white lines, sunshine.

Kisama_x86

Reaction score
The LKA I find obnoxiously annoying. So I keep that turned off. I also find the thing that turns off the engine at stop lights annoying so I turn that off as well. (You can have the lane keeping with cruise control, with LKA disabled.)

The HDA, just adjusts the speed for you, so for example, if you are on a main highway, and the speed limit is 70, and you have cruise set to 70, then you enter a town, and the speed limit sneakily drops to 55, it beeps and drops the speed on cruise down to 55. Then at the end of that, when speed limit bumps back up to 70, it returns the cruise control to 70.

That just goes hand in hand with your Smart Cruise Control. Now if you are not set to exactly at the speed limit, HDA doesn't kick in. So for example, same scenario as before, but cruise is set to 71, when you enter that 55MPH section, you will still be doing 71, and the cars with the pretty Christmas lights on top will be giving you a lottery ticket that let's you donate to their court systems.

The Smart Cruise control, which also does Stop and Go Assist, will accelerate up to the max speed you set, but only go as fast as the car in front of you. So if you are in bumper to bumper traffic, it takes care of that hassle for you.

As for keeping it in your lane for you, it does a good job. (while in cruise control, not just using that LKA (Not a fan of the standard LKA)). However, there are a few patches, where it can't quite keep up, but it's not automated driving, it's just assisting. Near my house, there are a few patches that it tries really hard to throw me in the ditch if I am not holding the wheel. (Lines start go to the right then disappear.) Once I am on the highway, it can pretty well do all of it for me, but side roads, I would recommend keeping your hands on the wheel.

Just remember, ultimately you are responsible for the safe operation of the vehicle. So although these features are nice, you are still hurtling down the highway at a deadly speed, in a giant box. You can see the road far better than technology can. If you read the owners manual, it gives you warning of some of the things that can fowl up the automation. Such as a person bent over. (Apparently the car get's just as distracted by this as I do)

I work in IT, and although I love the new technology and I have loads of fun using it, I also know how easy it is for something to go wrong with it. So yes, enjoy the features, have fun letting the car almost drive itself, but always be ready to take over just in case.

alfman

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I see.

I did some looking at the owner's manual and found the following definitions (paraphrasing here):

Lane Keeping Assist (LKA): Provides a slight counter steering torque to prevent the vehicle from moving outside its lane.

Lane Following Assist (LFA): Provides steering inputs to ensure vehicle stays in lane.

Highway Driving Assist (HDA): In addition to limiting speed based in receiving information about the speed limit, it must also use Lane Following Assist (LFA).

I was test driving the S trim, so it didn't have HDA.

From the instructions/diagrams from the owner's manual regarding LFA, I don't think it was on during the test drive.

I think we only had Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) on at the time. I don't think the salesperson may have understood the difference between LKA and LFA. I certainly didn't at the time.

I'll have to go back with this newly acquired knowledge and do another test drive.

Thanks for the information!

Tim-in-CA

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I find that if the Smart cruise control comes to a complete stop due to the vehicle ahead of you stopping for more than 1-2 seconds, a pop up appesrs stating that you must depress the accelerator or adjust cruise speed +/- button to resume after the leading vehicle moves. If you don’t, the vehicle will not resume after the vehicle ahead of you pulls away. This makes the smart cruise feature kinda annoying. My Tesla will continue to follow the vehicle ahead when it pulls away. I don’t see any setting to change this behavior. Is this the expected behavior? I probably should RTFM. o_O

Rx9790

Reaction score
I have noticed in mine that speeds under 45mph it doesn't nag to touch the wheel at all. Drove for 30 minutes in stop/go traffic rush hour and never touched wheel or pedals.

jazzyone

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I know the functions of HDA, LKA, etc are confusing but,

1) Tesla has "Autopilot" to describe semi-autonomous driving. Kia has no such single term. HDA is not the same as Autopilot!

2) HDA is a function that sets the speed automatically on federal highways based on the speed limit shown on the GPS. Nothing more! It does have one useful "hidden" feature.
-Usually when smart cruise contron (SCC) is engaged (without HDA),the Telluride will stop, but you have to manually intervene to get the telluaride moving
-When SCC s engaged with HDA, the Telluride will stop and go automatically without you having to press the accelerator/cruise control speed adjustment. This only work on federal highways and it is great in stop and go traffic.
3) Lane Keep Assist (LKA) 1312, is not "self steering". It works with Lane Departure Warning (LDW) which gives you an alert tone (LDW) and nudges your steering (LKA) when you cross the lane.
4) LKA/LDW is not the same as Lane Follow Assist (LFA) 1313, LFA is THE "self-steering" function that works with SCC.

5) LKA and LFA are two distinctly separate functions.
6) If you don't want alert tones and steering input when you drive you can disable LKA/LDW by pressing switch "A" 1314on the dashboard, which turns off the 1315icon on the instrument panel. No more tones and no more steering input. I turned it off the first day I got my Telluride since the slight steering correction made it feel unstable.

Karam.31

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
When you are using SCC, can you engage and disengage HDA at any time as you please? So if you are coming to a stop, can you quickly turn on HDA so that it will make the Telluride move again, and then once moving, turn it off so you can go over the speed limit?

jazzyone

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
When you are using SCC, can you engage and disengage HDA at any time as you please? So if you are coming to a stop, can you quickly turn on HDA so that it will make the Telluride move again, and then once moving, turn it off so you can go over the speed limit?
The HDA function is enabled through the settings menu in the instrument cluster. You turn on HDA when you set your cruise speed to match the speed shown on the GPS. When you do this, the HDA will show "AUTO". Setting cruise speed to anything other than what is shown on the GPS will not turn on "AUTO".

I know in this mode (HDA AUTO), as the car in front of you slows down/stop then go, the Telluride will follow the car in front automatically.

What I can't remember is if the stop and automatic go function still works in HDA standby mode (SCC speed not matching the speed shown on the GPS).

BTW HDA is only available on EX or higher trim!

WhiteSX

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
HDA only adjusts speed to the posted speed limit contained in the Nav database when on a Federal road (US Route & Interstate) SCC without HDA activated will provide the stop / go feature on all roads.

Karam.31

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
The LKA I find obnoxiously annoying. So I keep that turned off. I also find the thing that turns off the engine at stop lights annoying so I turn that off as well. (You can have the lane keeping with cruise control, with LKA disabled.)

The HDA, just adjusts the speed for you, so for example, if you are on a main highway, and the speed limit is 70, and you have cruise set to 70, then you enter a town, and the speed limit sneakily drops to 55, it beeps and drops the speed on cruise down to 55. Then at the end of that, when speed limit bumps back up to 70, it returns the cruise control to 70.

That just goes hand in hand with your Smart Cruise Control. Now if you are not set to exactly at the speed limit, HDA doesn't kick in. So for example, same scenario as before, but cruise is set to 71, when you enter that 55MPH section, you will still be doing 71, and the cars with the pretty Christmas lights on top will be giving you a lottery ticket that let's you donate to their court systems.

The Smart Cruise control, which also does Stop and Go Assist, will accelerate up to the max speed you set, but only go as fast as the car in front of you. So if you are in bumper to bumper traffic, it takes care of that hassle for you.

As for keeping it in your lane for you, it does a good job. (while in cruise control, not just using that LKA (Not a fan of the standard LKA)). However, there are a few patches, where it can't quite keep up, but it's not automated driving, it's just assisting. Near my house, there are a few patches that it tries really hard to throw me in the ditch if I am not holding the wheel. (Lines start go to the right then disappear.) Once I am on the highway, it can pretty well do all of it for me, but side roads, I would recommend keeping your hands on the wheel.

Just remember, ultimately you are responsible for the safe operation of the vehicle. So although these features are nice, you are still hurtling down the highway at a deadly speed, in a giant box. You can see the road far better than technology can. If you read the owners manual, it gives you warning of some of the things that can fowl up the automation. Such as a person bent over. (Apparently the car get's just as distracted by this as I do)

I work in IT, and although I love the new technology and I have loads of fun using it, I also know how easy it is for something to go wrong with it. So yes, enjoy the features, have fun letting the car almost drive itself, but always be ready to take over just in case.
Someone on here recently said the car will not "go" if HDA is turned off. It comes to a stop but must be manually told to resume after that. Is that true?

WhiteSX

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Someone on here recently said the car will not "go" if HDA is turned off. It comes to a stop but must be manually told to resume after that. Is that true?
Not true. SCC controls stop and go not HDA. With SCC activated the vehicle will move forward on it's own if the lead vehicle is stopped for 3 sec or less. Other than that you need to depress the throttle or RES button if stopped longer than 3 sec. Enjoy the ride.

Karam.31

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Not true. SCC controls stop and go not HDA. With SCC activated the vehicle will move forward on it's own if the lead vehicle is stopped for 3 sec or less. Other than that you need to depress the throttle or RES button if stopped longer than 3 sec. Enjoy the ride.
So if stopped for more than 3 seconds, then you hit resume... What happens? If you hit it right as the car in front starts to move will it just resume you at a very slow speed and gradually get faster as the car speeds up?