Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Will the Telluride drive itself in slow traffic (including steering)?

WhiteSX

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score

Kia Rocks!!

Reaction score
You can also use the old school cruise control. Turn on the cruise. Hold down the distance button on the steering wheel for 3 seconds. The button that shows the vehcile and lines. Regular cruise control will show up in the cluster. Works like the old school days if you don't like SCC.

Jasondorin

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
This is the weirdest feeling. We took our new Telluride ( aka pepper) on a quick road trip yesterday. I found myself kind of fighting against the lane assistance I love it in theory, but it will take some getting used to.
Believe you can turn that off. I notice it too.

WhiteSX

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Pretty crazy! How many current cars do this?
Most top end German brands have been doing this since the early 2000's. As the technology evolved, and costs designed out of it, it's broadly penetrated the entire automotive spectrum. Today, you can purchase many entry level vehicles with this technology embedded.

Mavtek

Reaction score
Most top end German brands have been doing this since the early 2000's. As the technology evolved, and costs designed out of it, it's broadly penetrated the entire automotive spectrum. Today, you can purchase many entry level vehicles with this technology embedded.
I would say I sort of agree, but I don't remember BMW's with adaptive cruise control until 2010 or so. It's also important to note that this isn't just adaptive cruise with lane change assist. There's a true level of automated driving here. From recognizing the speed limit via GPS, to anticipating turns and preparing the vehicle for it.

WhiteSX

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I would say I sort of agree, but I don't remember BMW's with adaptive cruise control until 2010 or so. It's also important to note that this isn't just adaptive cruise with lane change assist. There's a true level of automated driving here. From recognizing the speed limit via GPS, to anticipating turns and preparing the vehicle for it.
Had a 2004 Audi A8 w/adaptive cruise. Traded it for a 2012 Audi A7 (in 2011) w/adaptive cruise and lane keep. GPS speed limit could be linked to cruise. But only in the European versions at that time because the Feds had not approved it.

Enjoy the ride!

cheeks80

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Had a 2004 Audi A8 w/adaptive cruise. Traded it for a 2012 Audi A7 (in 2011) w/adaptive cruise and lane keep. GPS speed limit could be linked to cruise. But only in the European versions at that time because the Feds had not approved it.

Enjoy the ride!
Good to know. Would like to know what improvements do you see inTelluride with respect to the adaptive cruise compared to 2004 Audi? Do you feel its very similar in the way its implemented and workings ?

WhiteSX

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Good to know. Would like to know what improvements do you see in Telluride with respect to the adaptive cruise compared to 2004 Audi? Do you feel its very similar in the way its implemented and workings ?
The tech has definitely matured since 04 @cheeks80. Lane keeping tech wasn't available at that time. The driver assist system in the Telluride is the same one used by many mainstream brands for the past 8 or so years. The price points have dropped dramatically over the past 3 years, allowing for mass penetration of the technology across a wide range of the market, making it accessible to more consumers. It's a good time for tech in the automotive world.

Mr.JB

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
This was just crazy cool.
I had All of the options enabled HDA, LKA, etc. Even had the Cruise show up as AUTO. I was driving in rush hour traffic in a road construction are. It was more stop than go. The Telluride handled perfectly. It came to a complete stop when the vehicle in front on me stopped and when the car ahead of me moved, the Telluride moved. All without hands on the wheel or touching the pedals.
Now for my next trick, figuring out how to do it again.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

plutoridge

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
This was just crazy cool.
I had All of the options enabled HDA, LKA, etc. Even had the Cruise show up as AUTO. I was driving in rush hour traffic in a road construction are. It was more stop than go. The Telluride handled perfectly. It came to a complete stop when the vehicle in front on me stopped and when the car ahead of me moved, the Telluride moved. All without hands on the wheel or touching the pedals.
Now for my next trick, figuring out how to do it again.
Sometimes it moves automatically from a complete stop without you doing anything and in some cases, it displays a message asking you to press accelerator pedal to move the car (and then it resumes acceleration to your set cruise limit). In both cases, all options are enabled - Smart Cruise, HDA etc.
Has anyone figured out in what conditions it asks you to press the pedal and in what cases does it move automatically on its own??

Last edited:

Shakodag

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
After 3 seconds at a stop, the car will prompt you to either press the accelerator or hit resume via the steering wheel.

TellurideNY

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
When HDA (Highway Driving Assitant) mode is on. The car will do full stop and start without having to press anything. This is only available in EX and SX trims. HDA mode is on when your on highways have the cruise control turned on and your traveling at less then 95 MPH. You will know because a little HDA indicator icon will show on the cluster. When that HDA indicator is on, and the steering wheel icon is green the car does a remarkably good job of taking care of everything in stop and go highway traffic.

An additional feature of HDA is the automatic setting of speed to match speed limits. You activate this by setting the cruise control to the posted speed limit of the highway your on. You know this is on by an additional AUTO indicator being shown above the cruise control speed setting in the cluster.

When you are not on a highway you will just be in SCC (Smart Cruise Control) which requires you to press the accelerator or tap the resume button after being stopped for more then 3 seconds.

faris

Reaction score
It's really nice feature, but always be prepared to take over. It has happened with me few times where the green steering goes away without any warning and the car veers off the lane. I think they should have put some warning sound to let you know it will no longer steer automatically.

TellurideNY

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
I agree with that completely. If the steering wheel needs to turn more then a few degree's it gets hairy at speed for sure. That solid green wheel goes to blinking, then white and the car just gives up. Had it happen multiple occasions traveling PA Turnpike Northeast extension and I-81 on the sharper turns last week between Binghamton and Philly.

It also made me very nervous on left turning bends with little to no shoulders and jersey barriers as it tends to ride on the line in those instances and that leaves me too close for comfort. Same on right turning bends with traffic, especially semis, in the lane to your right.

If lane markings suddenly disappear the system will give up sometimes as well.

That being said in the bulk of situations its very good but you definitely cannot just zone out and not pay attention as you will end up in an accident.

Karam.31

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
When HDA (Highway Driving Assitant) mode is on. The car will do full stop and start without having to press anything. This is only available in EX and SX trims. HDA mode is on when your on highways have the cruise control turned on and your traveling at less then 95 MPH. You will know because a little HDA indicator icon will show on the cluster. When that HDA indicator is on, and the steering wheel icon is green the car does a remarkably good job of taking care of everything in stop and go highway traffic.

An additional feature of HDA is the automatic setting of speed to match speed limits. You activate this by setting the cruise control to the posted speed limit of the highway your on. You know this is on by an additional AUTO indicator being shown above the cruise control speed setting in the cluster.

When you are not on a highway you will just be in SCC (Smart Cruise Control) which requires you to press the accelerator or tap the resume button after being stopped for more then 3 seconds.
What is the difference between AUTO and just regular HDA?