Welcome to the Ad-Free KIA Telluride Community!

Please register with the BIGGEST and busiest Telluride community online. We'd LOVE to have you! Please note: This is an ADVERTISEMENT FREE community! No advertising is permitted. None.

Register Log in

Windshield Replacement

PL/OB Diego

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Madico ClearPlex windshield protection film? I'd be worried about the wipers scratching it and the film needing to be replaced often. But if the windshields are so prone to cracking, maybe it would be worth it?
Or, even better, how about product that doesn't crack upon the slightest impact. So many cracked windshields indicates a bad product.

TxAggie

Telluride Junkie
Reaction score
I live in Florida also... windshield replacement has never cost me a dime.
No such law here in Texas. I have a $50 Other than collision deductible and it can be used for windshields, however contrary to popular belief, it DOES count as a claim against your policy (so does getting a chip fixed for "free"). My rates were increased after a collision a few years ago and when I asked why they said I had too many claims. This was my only accident but they brought up two windshields and a rock chip fix. For this reason I try not to use the coverage for windshields in case I need the insurance for something more serious. I'm going to discuss with my agent and see if there is some other coverage I can get for windshields that won't count as full insurance claims, then compare against the windshield protection film cost.

Oneunder

Reaction score
I bought my Telluride on April 10th, 2019. On May 8th with 1000 miles on it a small rock hit in front of my drivers view and broke the windshield. It cost $1500.00 to repair. On Sept 7th I got in my Telluride to go out and once again my windshield is broken this time it starts at the passenger A pillar and travels out and then up for about 10 inches now.( It keeps growing when I first saw it it was about 6 inches). I never heard or saw anything hit my windshield. I went to the dealer they said they will have to evaluate it. I don't understand that, it is visibly broken. The glass itself they said is about 7-800 bucks. I had it done last time at safelite($1500). I called corporate filed a complaint. They said this is the first they have heard of this problem, I said that is totally impossible.( the dealer said the same thing, odd I told them back in May about the first one). Well I received a case number they said they will follow up with the dealer to see if they can assist in the issue. I also filed two separate cases with NHSTB In regards to the windshield issue. Let's see what happens. I am very disappointed in the way Kia is handling the issue. I've owned cars for 35 years and have never had a broken windshield before, here I've had two in 5 months.

ryanlindy

Reaction score
Finally got my windshield replaced today by safelite with a factory windshield and it was $680.39. Per Kia no calibration for the cruise control is needed if no lights on the dash come on.

Oneunder

Reaction score
Finally got my windshield replaced today by safelite with a factory windshield and it was $680.39. Per Kia no calibration for the cruise control is needed if no lights on the dash come on.
Wow!!! Mine cost $1500. In Kentucky. It was a Kia windshield. I guess I got ripped off.

PL/OB Diego

Reaction score
An additional resource for Telluride owners to rectify production and inferior materials issues in their vehicles. See link below.

Our Mission

The Center for Auto Safety is an independent, non-profit organization dedicated to advocating for auto safety, quality, and fuel economy on behalf of our members and all drivers, passengers, and pedestrians.

Our History

The Center for Auto Safety was founded in 1970 by Consumers Union and Ralph Nader as a consumer safety group to protect drivers.

the_anj

Reaction score
Just my 2c but I've had my telluride since March and I have a good 4 or so chips in the windshield. No cracks, and only one chip was justifiable (dump truck chucked a sizable rock; this was the first chip and the largest)... the others I only noticed after the fact when washing the car. That first chip I had to get filled (~$100 at safelite) and I thought I was just unlucky. The ones that followed are more puzzling.

Mac

Reaction score
Wow!!! Mine cost $1500. In Kentucky. It was a Kia windshield. I guess I got ripped off.
Wow times 2....think you paid about twice what you should have. Look closely at your windshield...there has to be a couple of gold coins embedded to make that windshield cost that much...here’s my receipt from a Kia dealer in the Chicago area for an OEM acoustic replacement...

Attachments

G

G-200504

Thanks for sharing. The installation fee is cheaper than I anticipated. Wonder how they mount the rear-view/LKA,LFA assembly and if it’s need some sort of adjustment.
Safelite is usually covered under your insurance. Mine always was replaced at no cost

TheNip73

Reaction score
I went with my deductible ($500) with a minor damage ($1300) on my Jetta rear frame chassis WORST decision ever after that when I renew my policy this when UP and I end paying more than the repair cost

Just make the numbers and see what's best for you not mentioning that for your insurance you are the responsible for the damage
The Jets sounds like an accident - can impact rates.

this is comprehensive /non-accident and will not impact rates.

You need to learn more about insurance coverage and how it works. Your playing the game backwards and it’s costing you more money.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Telluride? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

TxAggie

Telluride Junkie
Reaction score
The Jets sounds like an accident - can impact rates.

this is comprehensive /non-accident and will not impact rates.

You need to learn more about insurance coverage and how it works. Your playing the game backwards and it’s costing you more money.
My insurance agent has told me before that they all count as claims. I'll be asking this question again soon.

TheNip73

Reaction score
My insurance agent has told me before that they all count as claims. I'll be asking this question again soon.
Yes - I would. Push them to explain in a bit more detail. All are claims, but the comprehensive ones might not impact rates as they are more due to “acts of god” or external factors you had no influence in.

Accidents generally assign some level of “fault” against you, which is cause for the rate increase.

Could also be a state by state variance due to varying laws (which I meant to put in original post and forgot!).

Hmellish

Reaction score
Looks like they didn’t...

Doesn't look like he got it from the dealer. You should call your KIA dealer and find out if the camera needs calibration and how much and how long it will take. Would be nice if you could share that with us...
The camera will absolutely need calibrating And that is not a simple process. Training one person in that process cost one shop 18K. You also need to make sure it is an OEM windshield. In Florida and other states insurers are required to replace windshields at their expense. If you don’t have glass coverage, get it. It can be very expensive. Historically the average cost in one sample I was involved with was $800 and that was with an older simple vehicle. With today’s technology the cost will be substantially more. In one case an Italian supercar windshield was over 9K. Sorry for the bad news

Hmellish

Reaction score
That sample invoice is odd. There’s always a charge for the installation kit—at least $15 for sealant, rags and other shop supplies. The absence of a VIN also is peculiar. The same car, same model and same accessories may have a different windshield. The windshield installers have to order by the VIN number. As has been noted there can be substantial differences in the quality of the installation. Always check and be very picky. Serious leak issues can occur and there may be safety compromises. You need to insist that the installation as well as the glass quality meets also factory specs. Insurance companies will do only so much to try to satisfy you and get you to sign a release from all future claims. This is not to say the adjuster is a bad person. He/she is however a part of a system where the incentive to cut costs and maximize profits is overwhelming

Hmellish

Reaction score
That is OEM glass through Safelite. Probably too new for off brand. I am going to reach out to dealership about calibration though. Safelite has done thousands of calibrations across multiple platforms I suspect. Really don’t want to pay dealer $300+ for no reason on top of my $100 deductible if Safelite can perform the job to spec.
Safe lite is a major company that also manufactures glass. they may be giving you supposed Oem specs but not Oem glass

ATL3630

FOUNDING MEMBER
Reaction score
Safe lite is a major company that also manufactures glass. they may be giving you supposed Oem specs but not Oem glass
I used Safelite and they used non OEM glass. I’m not sure why Kia OEM glass is so magical. Especially since it apparently cracks so easily.

My replacement was $400. Acoustic glass, all that. The calibration for the sensors is being done on Friday at a Kia dealership. It costs $125.
These costs are covered under my insurance and will not raise my rates.
Not sure why there is all the drama in this thread about the repair.